Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I watched a CL highlight and I saw that Dietmar Hamann's goal from his free-kick went through the net unguarded by the Leverkusen's goalkeeper. The goalkeeper didn't even show any saving action and not even reacted to the ball that flying to the side of his net.

What I want to discuss is, this is not the first time I saw a free-kick cases like this when a goalkeeper is somehow 'stoned' and let the ball in. How could it be possible ? Does the ball fly so fast or the goalkeeper just doesn't see the curve of the ball shot into his net because the wall in front of him ?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The wall should somehow hidden the view of the goalkeeper. If so, then it is his own problem. The keeper has every right to place orders to the wall. He doesn't act because he doesn't think he can save even if he does. Of course the keeper may guess wrongly. I don't know the goal you mentioned. I guess the ball is too far away from his touch. He would act if the ball is not far from him, but fast. Human need time to send message to his brain to react when he sees something. The time needs is different from each other. The brain then sends message to his arms, his legs and his body to act. Who needs the least time in this aspect can be a good keeper in theory. The discussion is about practice. Posters who are keepers better speak your experience. :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have not played as a keeper but I guess that at times the keeper tries to anticipate the direction in which the ball is going to be hit and if it is in the opposite direction, then he cannot move cos his body has started moving in the other. And he is left stoned ;). I might be wrong but this can be one reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know how hard Hamman's shot was, but it wasn't weak, that's for sure.

It's kinda hard seeing the ball and reacting fast enough when you're not actually expecting it, maybe he day-dreamed :D

But as a goalkeeper, I can definately say that these things happen often, at least to me :D

About the 'stoned' part, well I found that I'm actually a better GK when I'm stoned, so nah, if he was stoned he would probably save that shot :)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
maybe the keeper had a bet on 3-1 to Liverpool, Germans are known for their corruption aren't they ? :shades:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
maybe the keeper had a bet on 3-1 to Liverpool, Germans are known for their corruption aren't they ? :shades:
Is that why your keeper keeps letting in goals? :pp

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Pelizolli did it for Mihajlovic's 2nd free kick a few weeks ago. You see it quite a lot but I don't always understand it.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Dusan_UK said:
Pelizolli did it for Mihajlovic's 2nd free kick a few weeks ago. You see it quite a lot but I don't always understand it.
@ the 2nd goal Pelizolli thought that the ball was going out,
but as we know it had a damn nice curve :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
To be fair, it also happened in Spain a few years ago, so they're not that bad :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Even the greats of this game sometimes day-dream...
Buffon during Arsenal-Juve match. Henry took the kick, Gigi just followed the ball with his look...... :D

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
I understand it. It partially depends on the free kick, though.

Like the Duff goal versus United. It went in with the goalkeeper stoned because he expected a touch. Any touch from there takes the ball in, so you can't react to the inital motion of the shot. If there's no touch, the ball just goes into the goal. You have to rely on your defense a lot if it's whipped in with bend and pace.

If it's from an obvious shot, it usually happens that by the time the goalkeeper sees the shot, he can't react to it, and he knows he won't save it, so he just has to stand there and watch the shot go into the goal. The wall often causes this, cause he's screened to the shot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the shot is very strong and follows an unexpected trajectory (esp. one far from the keeper) the keeper doesn't have the time to react.
Happens to every keeper.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
If you've ever played as goalkeeper before, you will know exactly how to answer this question. :)

It's simple, really. In order to dive, you will have to anticipate the flight of the ball. Once you have made a decision, the weight of your body would have to lean on one single leg before you take off from the ground using that leg to push off. Depending on which side you are going for, you will either be leaning your body weight on your left or right leg. Once you have committed to this particular law of physics, you will take longer than usual to 1) return to equilibrium and 2) shift the weight to the corresponding leg in order to change direction. This reaction takes time.. and by the time your brain tells you that the ball's going in the opposite direction to where you've originally committed, the most you can do will be just to return to 1). That's why goalkeepers are always stranded when the ball takes a deflection..

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yellowbiz said:
To be fair, it also happened in Spain a few years ago, so they're not that bad :)
yeah the Spanish are corrupt as well, agreed. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts