Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appearently, Hamann was upset about
1. Being substituted against Leverkusen
2. Being told by Houllier that he will not be part of the plan for next season.

His agents refused comments and there will be a meeting tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed. :( :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed. Hamanns a brilliant player. But if this is true, is this a sign that GH is going to be more attacking next season? Is he going to let loose our firepower and rely on SH & SH and the other defenders to hold the fort next season? Or is he gonna go for some young defensive midfielder to fill the gap, for example Barry Ferguson?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
selling Hamann wouldnt contribute to the team being being more offensive but rather remove the protection from the front of H&H.hamann does a brilliant job sitting in front of the back four and breaking up opposition's play.true his offensive qualities are not much to write home about but Liverpool could get a couple of pacey wingers next season to sort that out.hamann would sit in midfield while the likes of gerrard,Overmars and ze Roberto(considering Liverpool ends up with those two)take care of the attacking play.

Selling Hamann would restrict Gerrard's movement as the creator in midfield and this will naturally hurt the team immensely.It would be a major blow for Pool if the German does leave the club.I,for one,hope he does.:D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Just read in the official site that Hamann is 100% happy at Liverpool...
:
Dietmar Hamann has no intention of quitting Anfield, despite speculation linking him with a move back to Germany.

Several reports yesterday claimed the German international was keen to leave Liverpool, with a return to the Bundesliga mooted as one of his possible options.

However Hamann's agent, Dirk Lips, last night dismissed the claims. "There is absolutely no chance of Dietmar Hamann leaving Liverpool. He is 100 per cent happy there."

Yeah!!!!!! Very good news indeed

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
How many times have we seen a complete about change in football clubs and various situations that they are in...

For example, a club will give their manager a vote of confidence before sacking him a few days later.

I would say that I am taking this with a pinch of salt. From the way GH handled the Westerveld case, it seems that the possibility of Hamann being shoved out of the door after one poor game is there, but seriously, Hamann had bailed us out time and time again this season, so there is no reason for GH to show him the door.

On another note, I felt that Hamann should be nominated for the Player of the Year. After all, he was influential for us this season, the way Keane does for the Corporation.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
another season would be ideal!

hope he is ok! hamann is awesome when he is around we hardly lose!;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
breaking news from todays Irish Independent newspaper

Soccer : Liverpool set to offer £10m for Duff

09:36 Wednesday April 17th 2002

Reports this morning suggest that Liverpool are about to launch a £10m offer for Blackburn's Irish winger Damien Duff. Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier is a known admirer of the 22-year-old and the Merseysiders have been lacking the kind of width that Duff can provide since they sold Steve McManaman. Attempts to play Emile Heskey in that position have also been unsuccessful, further fuelling the rumours of a bid.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I'm not so sure about Duff. He is a good player and will improve even more, but I'm desperate to see Liverpool make a serious assault on Kewell. Overmars never convinced me much, so I'd rather see Duff than him in red. And I'm confident with the same money we can get Joe Cole...

Regarding Hamann. I don't want him to leave but I definitely want to see him AND Henchoz AND Carragher AND Murphy play less next season. Hamann, as it was said, is not contributing to the attacking play enough, someone more all around like Carrick or Barry Ferguson would serve us better there. This also means Henchoz should not be unmovable from the starting line up. Henchoz has played really good this season but we need some speed at the back next to Sami. Thirdly, Murphy. Murphy is hard working and all but he is simply untalented. He can score the occasional goal and I'm sure he'd make a great sub but he is just not good enough to be a permanent starter. As for Carragher, he's an asset due to his versatility and defencive qualities, but someone more natural at left back or right back should be used. Wright and Vignal for examble. Xavier can leave as far as I'm concerned.

The quality of the Liverpool game is low and we need to raise it. Players like Henchoz and Carragher are holding us back on this department due to their lack of speed. We are forced to defend deep and Hamann flourishes on that.

I don't want these players leave Liverpool, they should stay and be part of the team and also be used often both from the start and during games, but our first choice line up should be more talented, fast and positive in respect to the attack department. Wouldn't it be great if we want to hold a result to be able to throw in Hamann? or using Henchoz as our third central defender? or when we defend to throw in Murphy who can work hard and pressure in midfield and break in counter attack with his speed? Or how about against a team with a great offencive midfielder like Roma (Totti) to start Hamann in order to reduce him? or against Manchester United play Carragher from the start to deal with Beckham?

These players are made for these jobs.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amo!
Regarding Hamann, I disagree that you say that Hamann is not contributing to the attack and he is terrific at defending deep.
ok so Hamann is terrific at defending deep but he is also great at going foreward. Dun let Houllier tactics fool you. His tactics will make Smicer turn from a dribbler and creative playmaker to a useless ball chaser. Can U imagine Pires playing in our system? He will chase balls all day long.

Ok back to Hamann. I remembered him bring to lively in his days at Ruud Gullit's Newcastle. His long legs create panic in the opposition defences with his striding runs, no one seemed to know how to knock him off the ball. Then again Hamann had contributed to 8 goals (Not too sure about the figure) that season.

In Liverpool, he sits so deep that he is often mistaken as the 3rd centre back. But look at the matches against say Birmingham and Gala. When Hamann moves out of his defensive duties and really dictate the midfield. His trust is lethal. He is unlucky though, hit the post against the Brummie and forced a hattrick of saves by Mondragon. Then again, Hamann pinpoint quick passing helps in releasing the faster players like Owen and Riise to attack more effectively. In fact he set up 3-4 of Owen goals through his through balls.

Regarding Duff, I would love to get him. He is talented and he rocks against the Saints, but I am not sure if Houllier wants to dispense with Berger. Partick is somewhat of the gaffer's favourite, and it would be interesting to see him in the Reds next season.

I agree Murphy should play less, ok he scores goals and passes well, but his ball control is still absymal. If he wants to improve he got to work on it. His crosses is lethal in deadball sitautions, but how many times had he sent crosses during open play? He gets the ball and usually lose control of it. Most of his good passes are first time passes, crosses are seldom hit first time, and he needs a fair deal of ball control to take the pass the measure the cross.

Hamann is the most important player in Liverpool this season. He will florish regardless of team approach, such is his all round ability.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Duff is gonna explode in Japan and his price will rocket. Irish newspapers are full of articles about Duff and what his best position is. Hardly any on Keane's injury or anything else. Just watch this lad in action in June

1 - 12 of 12 Posts