1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... what does everyone think?

My thoughts:

The four teams on 8 wins:

Brisbane: We're yet to see their best. They can go up another gear or two and Matthews knows it. Voss and Aker are not really in the form of their respective Brownlow years and youngster Jonathon Brown is barely around the mark. Look for the after-burners to well and truly kick in come the next few rounds.

Port Adelaide: Same as Brisbane. We are yet to see the best of the Power. With first-choice full-back Stephen Paxman to come back, second-best bigman Brendon Lade still gradually reaclimatising to AFL football after 2 shocking years with injury and Warren Tredrea yet to really hit his straps the best is yet to come.

Collingwood: Still a list for the future. They are at their very best as of now and can only get worse from here on in. Have beaten Essendon and Brisbane so far and gave fellow contenders Port a real scare at Footy Park. If Tarrant or Buckley go down expect a slide like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year ...

Adelaide: The surprise of the season. Have played some fast hard-running football akin to the Lions style from last year. But that's where the story begins and ends for my lads. The forward line is makeshift and when you have old man Nigel Smart as your key defender, you're asking for trouble (example, Port have Mead, Hardwick, Paxman, Wakelin ... Essendon have Fletcher, Wellman, etc.). Barring an absolute catastrophe the Crows will make it to September but I doubt have the weaponary to make a scene.

Smokies:

Essendon: They are a horse ready to bolt and everyone knows it. The fact that they are only 2 wins off the pace at halfway mark despite injuries to Lloyd, Hird, Misiti, Peverill, Lucas, Wellman, Fletcher, Mercuri, etc at various stages is a testament to Sheedy's brilliance and depth of squad. If this lot get fit then the rest of the league better brace themselves.

Kangaroos: Have a hard running, committed side that has surprised many with their ability after the awful off-season that rocked the club to its core. Stevens, Simpson, Grant and Pickett are leading the men from Arden Street through somewhat of a renaissance, with wins over Port, Essendon and Adelaide to their credit. And with the September experience onboard anything is possible.

Bloody Disappointments:

Hawthorn: Were an inch away from the Grand Final last year as Trent Croad hit the post vs Essendon with a minute to play in last years Prelim. This year however has been a different story with everyone content to expect Shane Crawford to do all the work. Will be lucky to make the eight on current form.

Carlton: The addition of one time monolith Corey McKernan was expected to kickstart the Blues into another dimension - instead the men from Brunswick are languishing in the cellar. Barring a miracle both on the field and in the medical room they'll stay there as well.

Richmond: I never rated this lot in the first place. Suffice to say Richardson and the vast majority of other so called 'stars' are overpaid and aren't doing enough for Danny Frawley. Expect another end of season shakeup by a skittish board that never should've let John Northey go north.

There's my two cents. Make of it what you will.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
dyertribe said:
Richmond: I never rated this lot in the first place. Suffice to say Richardson and the vast majority of other so called 'stars' are overpaid and aren't doing enough for Danny Frawley. Expect another end of season shakeup by a skittish board that never should've let John Northey go north.

There's my two cents. Make of it what you will. [/B]

Richardson, Ottens and Gaspar are the only stars we have on our list and they ARE STARS, if you think otherwise then ure just a clown.....................every tiger supporter realises cambell, knights, bowden and co. are just pretenders, but please if ure midfield is pissweak and doesnt get enough quality ball then please explain how the hell the key forwards are meant to control games? tell me how a defender is meant to stop a key forward when the ball is coming in with ridiculous ease. Gas held tredrea last week even though the ball went to him abt 20 odd times......If richo was at a side that could deliver and that utilised him instead of allowing him to get triple teamed all the time then hed be the gun forward of the comp, 1-1 only Jon Hay can go with him..................I agree hes over-paid and he will take a pay-cut, no problem with that, he just hasnt been there enough coz of injury but I make it a point to never slight him b/c him and several others are the only players with a touch of class at our club.

Richmond has to go with these young players play them week in week out: Coughlan, Fiora, Rodan, Poyas, Mills, Krakeour, Pettifer, Hyde, Newman, and sh!t get the likes of tivendale into the damn gym!

The only shake-up that will come is a shake-up of the player list, the board has been pulling together for years now, Frawley is safe, hes a good coach, the only way hed get the ass is if sheedy himself said he wanted to coach the club..............

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew I'd get an errant Richmond fan with these comments.

The facts are, Richmond are doing exactly what I said ... they're not doing enough and that goes for everyone - although yes, Gaspar is a premier CHB and was probably one of the recruiting coups of the 90s - you got him from the Swans for squat ;)

Richmond fans always react with furious anger when a negative word is spoken about the side but the cold hard facts are with or without Ottens, Richo, Campbell, Gaspar, Knights, etc etc etc you've made the finals twice in 20 years.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
actually I more or less agreed with the jist of ure post, so I dont exactly understand what ure trying to achieve, I merely pointed out you were wrong to categorise namely 3 players as over-rated and over paid and they are who I mentioned. 3 players dont carry sides as you above all would understand with adelaide so I think its wrong to critisize them for the pitfalls of abt 7 or 8 players wearing the tiger guernsey who arent really up to scratch

That was what I wasa tad miffed with, nothing more, b/c the cold hard facts are every richmond fan agrees with what most outsiders observe anyway, we are sh!thouse with no balls, except we are harder on our club than anyone else.

Oh and abt the Gas, yeah we got him for nothing but that was due to the fact sydney got our best and fairest of that season Maxfield for nothing ;) so dont try and patronise me by claiming we got handouts........

Fact is, if perhaps we got priority picks like the swans and bears did in the early 90's perhaps we too could have made a grand-final and pinched a flag :rolleyes: nevermind we'll keep plugging away and eventually the wheel will turn and we'll get our day in the sun

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was your reference to the word "clown" which got me on the defensive ... that name change is really doing wonders man ;)

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
yeah once I saw it I knew it was gonna be trouble ;), didnt mean it personally

Abt brisbane, I dont doubt the huge talent they have but I just get the slight feeling they are a bit too cocky and are cruising atm, all good if they get into gear soon at the business end, but if they dont they'll get a rude shock.

Port, I think the past fortnight they have really hit their straps and are in my mind with Collingwood the form teams of the competition.

Collingwood have stunned me with their progress, I just didnt think they were this good, sure they are confident and that adds a lot to a side these days but they have some real go abt them, the only thing that may stop them come finals time is their lack of class key defenders, I dont care what any1 says richardson, wakelin and prestigiacomo are not much to write home abt.

Adelaide for me are no surprise, Ricciuto, Macleod, Johnson, goodwin are as good a quartet as brisbanes and better than ports. Your right abt the key position posts, they are a real worry, and eventually it ususally catches up with you. Fitzgerald, what a sad story, this guy is finished now but he had real potential I saw him at sydney before he started doing his shoulder and he was a gr8 target, all arms. virtually impossible to stop when in front. That chap you got from freo, schell or something he showed abit at freo last year but hasnt really come on, needs to bulk up.

as for the smokies

essendon, no need to mention whos coming back, they are shocked into action and could kill anyone if they fire on all cylinders.

Nth, I think they have over-achieved and Im just waiting for their bubble to burst.

Bullies, Ive got a real soft spot for this side, have one of the most intelligent coaches and IMO the best recruiting manager scotty clayton. They have abt 10 players that are either 1st, 2nd or 3rd year players and when u back them up with West, Darcy, Grant, Johnson, Smith, Brown (6 champions) and hard workers in kretiuk, Bandy, Libba, Croft you have a gr8 mix, My smokey to make september action and to cause headaches for all the top guns

Melbourne a really weird side, up one year down the next, champions one week, hopeless thenext, when I work them out I'll post on what I think they'll do

Saints, gr8 crop of young talent, will they go from strength to strength for the rest of the year b/c they have really gotten some momentum going the past mnth, who knows with the saints

Freo, we all picked them to challenge for the 8 but I think its safe to say most thought they'll go close but no cigar, well bullsh!t to that! they are on fire and the acid test is this week, Port Adelaide.

West coast, I'll admit it I picked these guys to finish last :D they arent bad at all are they? good coach and some gr8 young talent, Kerr, and Judd would have to be one of the best first year players Ive ever seen.

Geelong, Ive got no time for this side but credit where its due, good youth policy is already paying dividends with the cats in the mix for an outside finals berth

swans, hawks tigers and clues have all been major flops, swans have issues with an ageing list and a wanka of a CEO colless, hawks had injuries to key big men all pre-season so Im not surprised by their predicament, I expect them to flash home, richmond simply hopeless, for a side supposedly blessed with quality talls we have certainly been caught short all season with a few injuries, no depth at all in the twos, bad recruiting. On the positive Rodan has been a real find. Blues, nightmare bring on 2003 already

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Originally posted by tigerTUFF:

Melbourne a really weird side, up one year down the next, champions one week, hopeless thenext, when I work them out I'll post on what I think they'll do
Mate, you'll never figure out Melbourne. Not even our own supporters can.

:confused:

Anyway, I see only 3 true premiership contenders. Brisbane, Port Adelaide and Essendon. Brisbane and Port have been setting the trend this season and will probably get the top of the ladder. Essendon though are a champion side and with the return of a few stars, they will be back. I believe that this is the first time in about 4 years that they are being touted as the favourties and the team to beat so the spotlight isn't on them anymore, which could work to their advantage come September.

Adelaide and Collingwood just aren't good enough I don't think. Although if you give the Pies a couple of years they will definately be top class. Eddie McGuire and **** Malthouse have done a fantastic job in re-shaping the Pies and the rewards will soon pay off.

West Coast has been a surprise this year thanks to the form of their captain Ben Cousins, forward Troy Wilson and new recruit Chris Judd. Woosha has restored the pride that was lost in the Eagles when Ken Judge took over a few years back.

Melbourne has shocked many people although I expected us to do pretty well. We have a good list but our lack of out and out stars and quality defenders has caused our inconsistancy this year. I think we will make the finals and continue this roller coaster ride.

Geelongs young guns have impressed this year and the Cats are on to something big. I do not think they will make the finals this year because of a lack of inexperience, but down the track they will be a very good team.

The Bulldogs and Kangaroos are sitting 9th and 10th and both have good chances to make the Eight, although I believe it will be the Dogs.

Freo has improved while Hawhtorn has disappointed, yet they both sit next to each other on the ladder. I don't see any of them making the Eight.

The strugglers are the Swannies who have majorly disappointed, the young Saints who keep improving, the Tiges who have failed to impress after plenty of hope last year and the once almighty Blues.

Outside tip for the Brownlow Medal: Jeff White

1 - 8 of 8 Posts