Xtratime Community banner

Half-Season Superlatives: 2014-15

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Demandred 
#1 ·
A few weeks late, but yeah...

Post the best XI, best player, best goal, shit XI, worst finish, worst red, worst officiated match, best coach, worst coach, best transfer, worst transfer and/or anything else you want.

#2 ·
Best Player

Paul Pogba

Best Goal

Hard to pick from the two:

xW7JU7ZAe3o

dnxS5OnxYOI

Best Coach

Rudi Garcia :dazed:

Worst Coach

Zdenek Zeman

Best Transfer

Jeremy Menez to Milan on Bosman

Jury is still out on Shaqiri

Worst Transfer

Juan Iturbe to Roma for 28.5/31m

#3 ·
Best XI

Buffon/Diego Lopez

Lichtsteiner Gonzalo? Koulibaly Peres*

Allan Marchisio Pogba

Vazquez

Higuain Tevez​

*Picked the two best FBs instead of a RB and a LB

Honorable mentions to Dybala, Nainggolan, and Felipe Anderson's cameo.

The Bidone XI

De Sanctis

Maicon Vidic Alex Cole*

DDR Pirlo Vidal

Hernanes

Gomez Totti​

*Was exactly how I knew he'd be, so maybe he doesn't really belong here, but many, including the club who apparently never scouted him, expected more from him

#5 ·
Worst Transfer

Juan Iturbe to Roma for 28.5/31m
He was bought for 22 mil as cofirmed by Sabatini last week.
https://twitter.com/OfficialASRoma/status/562979952736632833
He has been hammered by injuries, but he is a signing for the future anyways. Nevertheless I can see why he deserves to be there.

*Was exactly how I knew he'd be, so maybe he doesn't really belong here, but many, including the club who apparently never scouted him, expected more from him
Yeah we expected so much from him, we signed two other LB's with him. :drunk:

#9 ·
#7 ·
Best XI

Goalie: Perin (Genoa)
Center backs: Glik (Torino) and Rugani (Empoli)
Right back: Vrsaljko (Sassuolo)
Left back: Darmian (Torino)
Playmaker: Valdifiori (Empoli)
Other midfieders: Pogba (Juventus) and Nainggolan (Roma)
Attacking midfielder: Perotti (Genoa)
Forwards: Tevez (Juventus) and Dybala (Palermo)

Best coach: Sarri (Empoli)

Worst XI

Goalie: Cragno (Cagliari)
Center backs: Vidic (Inter) and Lucarelli (Parma)
Right back: De Sciglio (Milan)
Left back: Peluso (Sassuolo)
Playmaker: Lodi (Parma)
Other midfieders: Essien (Milan) and Inler (Napoli)
Attacking midfielder: El Kaddouri (Torino)
Forwards: Belfodil (Parma) and Hugo Almeida (Cesena)

Worst coach: Zeman (Cagliari)

I had more options for each positions but inthe end chose these ones.

Special Leonardo Da Vinci Award to Galliani

#8 ·
Best XI

Goalie: Perin (Genoa)
Center backs: Glik (Torino) and Rugani (Empoli)
Right back: Vrsaljko (Sassuolo)
Left back: Darmian (Torino)
Playmaker: Valdifiori (Empoli)
Other midfieders: Pogba (Juventus) and Nainggolan (Roma)
Attacking midfielder: Perotti (Genoa)
Forwards: Tevez (Juventus) and Dybala (Palermo)

Best coach: Sarri (Empoli)

Worst XI

Goalie: Cragno (Cagliari)
Center backs: Vidic (Inter) and Lucarelli (Parma)
Right back: De Sciglio (Milan)
Left back: Peluso (Sassuolo)
Playmaker: Lodi (Parma)
Other midfieders: Essien (Milan) and Inler (Napoli)
Attacking midfielder: El Kaddouri (Torino)
Forwards: Belfodil (Parma) and Hugo Almeida (Cesena)

Worst coach: Zeman (Cagliari)

I had more options for each positions but inthe end chose these ones.

Special Leonardo Da Vinci Award to Galliani
:D...Barbie berulsca deserves a mention too...

BTW regarding Vidal, everything started to get dizzy and muddy with him since someone, I can't recall called whom. started to praise him as a mix of Xavi/Iniesta/Mascherano with GOAL...he started to increased the number of flashy dumb attemps he allways tend to do in a ridiculous manner..,injuries didn't helped the panorama

#12 ·
Not really only that Padel, the dude started to act even in the pitch too much cocky or even thinking scoring was his main contribution, while when he started to make noise and a name he was a wiser and more focused players. Of course that scoring ability and skillset it's what sets him apart, but he certainly had since time (even with no injuries in the horizon) many plays where he just tried too much/hard or merely look fancier.

#13 · (Edited)
He wasn't at his best in the second half of last season because of fatigue and, then, the knee problem on top of that. He has always been a good decision-maker and never really tried to be fancy or overzealous with anything he did. This season, he's just much slower, and that's affecting everything he does. I did notice a change in attitude this season (perhaps "cocky," and he has often let his frustrations be known), but that hasn't affected the way he plays, at least not on a technical or decision-making level.

And he has played more and more of an attacking role over the course of his stay at Juve, but that's due to the coaches' instructions.

#16 ·
Despite Inter and Milan going through several coaches in the last two seasons and still doing poorly, many - including many Inter and Milan fans - are still under the illusion that they're doing poorly because of coaching when it's been clear that they have poor squads.

I also made a mistake in the beginning of this season thinking that only Milan's midfield (bar de Jong) is shit, but now I know Alex is shit too. Injuries to their FBs certainly didn't help the defense, but the truth is it really shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone that these two Milan clubs are loitering in mid-table. It has little to do with coaching and a lot to with the quality of the first teams. (With Shaqiri and Brozovic, who is hardly a phenomenon but will add some much-needed mobility in midfield, they should improve a little in the second half.)

So, for the most part, Inter and Milan players aren't really underperforming while more was initially expected from those Roma and Juve players. For the most part anyway....Age being a factor for a few of them isn't too surprising. Maybe only Totti can be take out because he did better in the beginning of the season.

Garcia best coach? I love the guy, but we have played atrocious football about 70% of the time this season. There have been quite a few whole halves where we've been unable to string two passes together against some of the worst teams in the league.
I'm feeling lazy and tired, so I'll just link a post that should explain why I picked him: http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=17320361&postcount=1880

If you had any other Serie A coach as Roma's coach now, the result would more likely have been more negative than positive.

A few of the smaller teams' coaches are probably in with a shout too.

#15 ·
Garcia best coach? I love the guy, but we have played atrocious football about 70% of the time this season. There have been quite a few whole halves where we've been unable to string two passes together against some of the worst teams in the league.

#17 ·
Well, if you only consider results, Garcia may have some outside shot. But I've watched almost all Roma games and fact is we have played terrible football in most of them. We really should have had quite a few points less, we got away with really lucky wins time and time again. I wouldn't say he is the main reason for the 7 points gap to Juventus, but he hasn't done all that good of a job either.

And some of the loss of form in the players compared to last season is on Garcia. His fitness program seems to have been a complete disaster this off season, in most games the players could barely run in the second half.

I very rarely watch other teams games this year, so I can't really comment on the quality of play of other teams, but looking at the table and the squads they have, Mihajlovic, Ventura or Gasperini seem better options to me for the award than Garcia. Even with all the injuries, we have a way better squad than Samp, Torino or Genoa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.