Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you people think of Hakan Sükür these days. He has had a terrific career (only in Türkiye and the Turkish NT though) and will therefor be remembered for a long time as an icon for Turkish football!

But is he really delivering these days? Im a firm believer of the fact that Turkish football have "lost" to many good strikers because of Hakan. Strikers such as Serkan Aykut, Ümit Karan and in the NT Okan Yilmaz, Zafer Biryol, Ilhan Mansiz....etc!

He has always been treated better than the other players in the team which have led to problems within the team.....all rumours aout this must be a sign. This has also ben the case in the NT. The most known the mosque crisis during the WC.

I have never like him for the person he is but i have always admired his goalscoring abilities....maybe the best in Turkish history. But that was like 4-5 years ago....i think it ended after our 2000 euro championship.

To me character is as important as footballers talent....and i have said this many time. This is why i have never liked players such as Hakan, Bülent Korkmaz, Hasan sas....unfortunately they all playy for the same team. :D

But then there are players like Ümit Özat who doesnt maybe have half the talent Hasan Sas posesses but he is showing excellent character and he is the type of player that improves himself with every game.

Ümit Özat has become Türkiye's best left back although his true position is either right back or centre back. According to stats he is the player who makes the most crosses into the penalty box...and the player who makes the most succesful crosses.

Another player i admire is Ergün.....can you get more gentlemanlike footballer and also a player who performs well almost every game (maybe not lately) or Tugay for his professionalism and sportsmanship!

And after the Ersun Yanal incident where Hakan wasnt invited to the NT.....this man has shown his true face.

Last night he was on Turkish television saying there is no alternatve for him in the GS and in the NT for that matter.. :rolleyes: ...although there is a quality player like Ümit Karan in the squad imo.....do you agree with him?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Hakan Sukur is actually very decent guy. I probably mentioned this before too but i used to see him a lot in Yalova, Aydinkent to be precise. He used to spend his summers there and thats where he met his first wife until that placed got smothered by the earthquake:(

During those times he was in his first 3-4 seasons in Galatasaray. He used to play voleyball with people, very shy guy used to hang around mostly by himself where most of his buddies chill out with models and drive latest model cars when they reach that level.

Maybe he has changed a lot but I dont think he did. The wrong thing about him is that he is too ambitious. It is actually a good thing to a certain level but his is passed that level. The reality is you can see these kind of everywhere especially in businesses. People trying to screw others for their good, people playing mindgames so that they will be promoted first to a new position, people not sharing their knowlogde of their profession with others so that they will stay as the most knowlogdable etc...

There are many like people out there and when he was kicked out of the NT, he couldnt take it. It is like saying to an employee who has worked to 15 years that ok you are out now and we are bringing in a new person. That employee would have the same feelings. People are not open minded for change espcially the Turks for sure. People even criticized going into the YTL:)

He has his bad behaviour but then he has many good ones too. He worked hard in his soccer and deserved every penny he got, he is a good family man, hıs nose has never been up in the skies (Turkish in English:) ) etc.. Like someone said: Do 1000 goods and hear the silence, do one bad and hear everyone criticize you.

The only difference is that Hakan Sukur is much more famous than a usual person, and the media would love to hear what Hakan Sukur has to say.

As far as saying he has no subsitute I think in a way he is right. Even though I also think he has finished, we dont have a good target man. We need someone like Carew in our forward. Tuncay, Serhat, Nihat are great players but their playing style mostly involves open space football. They have trouble performing against closed up defenses in the penalty area. And most of the teams we play agains play that kind of defense. The only teams which didnt play that way the qualification was Greece and Denmark and we have seen how we perform with Tuncay and Nihat. But these teams are going to close up in Istanbul for sure too.

Anyway thats my opinion.

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flying Hellfish said:
There are many like people out there and when he was kicked out of the NT, he couldnt take it. It is like saying to an employee who has worked to 15 years that ok you are out now and we are bringing in a new person. That employee would have the same feelings. People are not open minded for change espcially the Turks for sure. People even criticized going into the YTL:)
Very true...!!!

He has his bad behaviour but then he has many good ones too. He worked hard in his soccer and deserved every penny he got, he is a good family man, hıs nose has never been up in the skies (Turkish in English:) ) etc.. Like someone said: Do 1000 goods and hear the silence, do one bad and hear everyone criticize you.
Also true....but Hakan is a huge celebrity in Türkiye and thus many people are expecting him to behave correctly every time he speaks. But if he cant do this then it's better to stay quiet like Tugay and Ergün....

You know that Hagi critisized Ümit Karan harshly for taking his business to the media....he even left him outside the squad because of this and will most likely leave GS very soon.....i wonder what he will do about Hakan after he spoke freely to the media last night?!

The only difference is that Hakan Sukur is much more famous than a usual person, and the media would love to hear what Hakan Sukur has to say.
True...and like i said....because of this he should be more careful with what he does and say!

As far as saying he has no subsitute I think in a way he is right. Even though I also think he has finished, we dont have a good target man. We need someone like Carew in our forward. Tuncay, Serhat, Nihat are great players but their playing style mostly involves open space football. They have trouble performing against closed up defenses in the penalty area. And most of the teams we play agains play that kind of defense. The only teams which didnt play that way the qualification was Greece and Denmark and we have seen how we perform with Tuncay and Nihat. But these teams are going to close up in Istanbul for sure too.

Anyway thats my opinion.
I agree to an extent....but it's not like we dont have any good strikers in Türkiye who have similar playing styles like Hakan. The best two examples are Okan Yilmaz and Zafer Biryol. Maybe these guys are even better than Hakan but we will never know....

Okan won the goal scoring league two years in row....but was only given a chance during the Confederation Cup....where he did very well imo!

Zafer Biryol.....the goal scoring champion from last year and the goal scoring leader so far in the league has been treated like he doesnt exist.....just because Hakan is an icon for Turkish football....and benching him would be "ayip"....:)

I have praised him many times when he was at his best.....but i will also critisize him when he is not performing. And if you ask me he hasnt performed to well since the euro championship in 2000.

And it still amazes me how a guy who was benched in Inter....was sold to Parma and then later on transferred to Blackburn still had a spot guranteed in the NT....?

As a GS fan i would be worried because it looks like he will stay at GS for a couple of more years and without any "real" pressure to perform well....

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
You are right about Zafer Biryol but Ersun Hoca never gives him a chance. There are some other good target man candidates too.

And Hagi has been a dumb ass for the past weeks. It looks like he is competing with the Gala management to make Gala worse. He has dropped big time in the eyes of Gala fans lately because of the Umit Karan and Saidou incident. I dont think the fans want him a coach next year. I personally dont.

·
Fevzi
1,404 Posts
I think Hakan Sukur is the same case that Raul in Spain.
Raul is like a model for spanish players,sometimes I think too much respect for him,or perhaps could be fear.
Real MAdrid an Spanish NT don´t need, repeat, don´t need Raul nowadays.
And in the same case Real is losing people like Morientes or Portillo.
So, I think is the same case in GS and Turkish NT, Hakan is a good player but he must to give a chance to another players.
And, Did Hakan say that there is a quality player like Ümit in the squad? Is this a joke? or I don´t understand very well Cengo?
So I agree totally with you Cengo.:finger:

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said there isnt any good replacement for him Ümit Karan included....:finger:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The media created??? I guess they scored all those goals for him ey??? almost 50 on the NT and over 200 inthe super lig... yes it was teh journalist who scored not Hakan...

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Cihan, how can you deny what hakan Sukur accomplished?
He is like the Muhammed Ali of Turkish football.

·
Registered
373 Posts
but he is a good role model for the young players..

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
kilixx said:
but he is a good role model for the young players..
What makes you say that???

He was a great player, but only while playing in Turkiye, but not what I'd consider a role model :stuckup:

I don't think GS can afford to part ways with him right now though. He's the big name thats known throughout Europe. Hagi doesn't seem to interested in spending time to develop anyone else and with GS's financial situation, they need to hold on to anything that can get the clubs name out there and make money...

·
Registered
373 Posts
his determination and will to play is why i think he is a good role model plus a lot of the young players look up to him.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Whatever anyone says about him, he was an amazing player in his high times. The goals he scored in the CL UEFA and for the national team speaks for itself.

You don't go to Inter without possesing quality skills. I think that was his biggest mistake IMO. He should have gone to the Premier league at first place. And if he wasn't too sensitive of a guy maybe he could have been successful there too.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
kilixx said:
Hakan Sukur scored most of his goals against weak opponents

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/sukur-intlg.html

Types of Goals
Friendlies 12
World Cup Qualifier 17
World Cup 1
European Ch. Qual. 14
European Championship 2

Total goals: 46

39 of 46 of the goals imo are against weak teams...

Agree with him.... Hakan is a Meday maymunu...

Kilixx, Caner oglum senmisin?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
So Hakan Sukur has scored 3 goals in 31 games in big competitions...

Yes, he has scored alot in his career, but the question is how?

Let me answer it... by all the other 10 players trying to give the ball to him... when Hakan scores a goal in a game, I can guarantee he has missed 3 clear chances before that goals, so if he has a hattrick in a match, well you can calculate how many goals he missed before that..... and he is also like a little baby, if he misses a chance he losses confidence, if he is not picked to the NT team he cries, he plays on confidence and is not a professional yet, although he is 33 years old. Finally he is part of the Gang he created in Galatasaray, which has seen so many players suffer in the last 10 years... (Umit Karan, Bratu, Jardel,), the only guy that survived was Arif and he is part of the Gang..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts