Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread as season starts this weekend

Not loads of optimism, especially after 1-3 defeat to Zrinjski at Poljud.

3rd place and possible group stage if conference league would be fantastic but predict 4th or 5th and exit in qualifers.

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,878 Posts
Thought I'd start a thread as season starts this weekend

Not loads of optimism, especially after 1-3 defeat to Zrinjski at Poljud.

3rd place and possible group stage if conference league would be fantastic but predict 4th or 5th and exit in qualifers.
Curious to see how the top tier starts off, sans Dinamo (Osijek-Hajduk-Rijeka). On paper and looking at momentum from last season, I think Hajduk can challenge for 2nd and at the very least, finish 3rd. I think there will be a good drop off between Osijek/Hajduk and then Rijeka and whoever else is in the mid-table.

Between the financial issues going on with Rijeka and with all the new players coming in (with a lot of question marks), I think Rijeka will fall back to earth after almost 10 years of finishing 2-3 in the table and finish 4-5 this year.

Reactions: Nepoznat

·
Registered
828 Posts
Getting Livaja for the season was huge. He should lead the league in assists. They have to hope one of there strikers becomes a finisher. I like Ljubicic he reminds me of Mandzukic. Not seen enough of the Slovenia kid they bought on loan from the EPL but I’m guessing he’s probably gonna get first crack. Hajduk also needs a creative mid. Getting Krovinovic would be really good. He’s not the same since he tore his knee but watching him for west brom he’s still good on the ball and has an eye for the pass.Defensively with Elez and Vuskovic I think there good on the back at stopper. Colina is probably the best attacking left back in the league. Right back will see how good the Hungarian is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Colina the best attacking lb in the league? The guy is fairly useless and he couldn't cross the ball to save his life. To me he mopes around with his arms at his side and plays balls back to the CBs all day long.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Colina the best attacking lb in the league? The guy is fairly useless and he couldn't cross the ball to save his life. To me he mopes around with his arms at his side and plays balls back to the CBs all day long.
Well he did play fairly well towards the end of last season. Was pretty poor the first game.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ljubo is looking like the best golgeter we have produced since Kalinic, probably the best Croatian one as well the past several generations. Expect him to solidify himself as the #9 for the U-21's this year.

To bounce back after that miss against Lokomotiva and score a brace in a qualifier in front of his first home crowd is impressive. Strong character and he really seems like a top notch kid.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ljubo is looking like the best golgeter we have produced since Kalinic, probably the best Croatian one as well the past several generations. Expect him to solidify himself as the #9 for the U-21's this year.

To bounce back after that miss against Lokomotiva and score a brace in a qualifier in front of his first home crowd is impressive. Strong character and he really seems like a top notch kid.
Ljubo reminds me of a young Mandzukic.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hajduk 1-2 Osijek

Played well in first half but Bjelica changed things up at half time and Osijek were far better and nullified Hajduk. Overall draw at best for Hajduk maybe but think Osijek deserved it.

Things learnt: Osijek are definitely 2nd best team in HNL. Osijek defens very well, Hajduk don't. Kalinic is still a goalkeeper that I think is shit and he still can't hold the ball, no matter how simple it is. Hajduk have a good starting XI but nothing outside of that.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Hajduk 1-2 Osijek

Played well in first half but Bjelica changed things up at half time and Osijek were far better and nullified Hajduk. Overall draw at best for Hajduk maybe but think Osijek deserved it.

Things learnt: Osijek are definitely 2nd best team in HNL. Osijek defens very well, Hajduk don't. Kalinic is still a goalkeeper that I think is shit and he still can't hold the ball, no matter how simple it is. Hajduk have a good starting XI but nothing outside of that.
I wonder if Dinamo starts unloading some of their big guns i.e. Majer, Livaković and Ivanušec and/or they make a deeper run in UCL/UEL, and the league is secondary and it does open up the table for Osijek and others?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hajduk 1-2 Osijek

The problem is the reserves should be Cubelic, Cuic, Skaricic, Saric(on loan), Dominic(not with seniors) instead of the Jairo's, Diamantakos's, and Atansovs etc....

This coach has looked to be in above his head so far. The last 30 against Tobol, and second half against Osijek the play dropped when Ljubicic was subbed out. Take that for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
The problem is the reserves should be Cubelic, Cuic, Skaricic, Saric(on loan), Dominic(not with seniors) instead of the Jairo's, Diamantakos's, and Atansovs etc....

This coach has looked to be in above his head so far. The last 30 against Tobol, and second half against Osijek the play dropped when Ljubicic was subbed out. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Still too early. Agreed that all these foreigners are a waste of money and space for Hajduk.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1. Diamantakos
2. Jairo
3. Dolcek
4. Posavec
5. Atanasov
6. Dmitrov

All shouldn't be part of the team moving forward. I'm fine with Edouk and Kacaniklic as veterans that can help and have quality, particular Kaca. Guys like Mlakar and Sahiti, should be part time starters, squad players. Simic or Vusko could be sold and replaced with Skaricic and Dellova. Colina should be sold for a million or so if they can get that and the lbs should be Bekavac and Dominic.

Still a lot of work to be done but this Swede seems to just be plugging in all the signings into a rigid system. You're right its early, but if this was the case it would have been smarter to keep Tram. This Swede was supposed to take a Golden junior generation, which has the potential, and turn it into a finished product but I haven't seen a bit of yet. He doesn't get credit for playing Ljubo when he's so clear, he should be getting criticized for taking him out and replacing him with Jairo at halftime and blowing the match though.

·
Registered
70,119 Posts
There was talk during the Euros that Perisic, Vrsaljko and N. Kalinic would all be signing for Hajduk, obviously more wishful thinking but Lovre Kalinic was stirring the flames with some of his IG posts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts