Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there has been a lot of unrest in this island nation, with several major cities and towns falling to rebel forces and violence speading far and wide.
Now I realize that Aristide has regressed into a bit of a banana republic "populist" and the 2000 elections were rather dirty, but I have read several reports linking ousted FRAPH paramilitary leaders (basically Duvalierists/TonTon Macoute types) to the insurgency (although they might be just piggybacking onto the unrest as a way to get back into power). This does not bode well for either side, as the outcome will probably mean the deaths of a lot of innocent people.
The UN is getting concerned, mainly because of the corollary to any Haitian unrest, which is the movement of refugees. Washington is playing it close to the vest, by condemning both Aristide's Lavalas Party and the opposition. The OAS is offering to mediate a settlement. The French are wondering of they should send in troops (in the time-honored way of Western nations, to protect their nationals of course), which brings up a big Monroe Doctrine issue if I've ever seen one.
My knowledge of Haiti is somewhat limited, so does anyone else know what is really going on over there? It is currently a page 7 type story (were it Africa it's be page 17). I am sure as soon as a few hundred boats show up in the area around Miami, this will become a bigger issue (as it always does). it si probably a big issue for the Haitians right now.

RIO

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I wanted a thread myself aout it, but since I too don't now that much about the political situation I waited for someone else.

Yesterday I read that Louis-Jodel Chamblain (leader of the monsterous FRAPH-militia) and Guy Philippe the former head of police are signaled to be in the Northern city of Gonaives.

I understood that the position of Aristide cannot be maintained bu if the replacers will be utter scum as Chamblain and Philippe Haiti is in trouble.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
This was always going to happen. Haiti has no armed forces whatsoever, its police force has no weapons, its economy is absolutely backwards, and its infrastructure is shambolic. Anyone that gets pissed off can grab a gun and launch a coup with a few friends. Sorry state of affairs, indeed.

Surely, the solution is Western involvement and investment. If that means simply sending a thousand troops and £20m to build roads, the quality of life for the 7.5m or so people in Haiti could improve.

It hasn't received much coverage in the media here, either. References are restricted to the Guardian and BBC Radio Five. Surprise, surprise, Sky News doesn't broadcast any items on the issue.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
RIO said:
The French are wondering of they should send in troops (in the time-honored way of Western nations, to protect their nationals of course), which brings up a big Monroe Doctrine issue if I've ever seen one...
The Monroe doctrine has been dead as a doornail since the Carter administration.

The French would have to act unilaterally - gasp - unless they are willing to wait another six months for UN authorization.

·
Registered
19,837 Posts
We have a good coverage here of course, strange every president replace the word "Opposition" by "terrrorist"
Canada are willing to send troup too, as what i have read....

The French would have to act unilaterally - gasp - unless they are willing to wait another six months for UN authorization.
Maybe France could wait 10 years and then just saying " hum what about doing something here ?";)

http://www.haiti-info.com/

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Canada? LOL :howler:

Here comes our complimentary detachment of...50 people. They could control an entire neighbourhood in Port-au-Prince. :tongue:

Toronto's Police Department has more personnel than Canada has frontline troops.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Absolutely right. Canada is presently struggling with the idea of maintaining 500 troops in Afghanistan after the 2000 now ending their tour of duty over there come home. More likely they'd get help from Portugal than Canada.

Canada is actually considering Police, not soldiers at this time. And money. I don't know if it makes sense to send Police though, as the situation sounds like it's developed beyond regular policing duties.

The Monroe Doctrine ain't so dead when the cause is something the U.S. is interested in. The U.S. reluctantly put him in power and doesn't any up side in getting involved again.

Maybe if they find oil. :)

·
Registered
55,910 Posts
tinto, you should go there and start to debate for the sake of debating, i'm sure the both sides would run away hands on the ears:tongue: ;)

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
mali said:
tinto, you should go there and start to debate for the sake of debating, i'm sure the both sides would run away hands on the ears:tongue: ;)
what?:confused:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I think it was some tortured attempt to refer to Fangul's having accused me of debating just for the sake of winning, and not to get to the truth.

As usual, Mali wields her wit like a handgun pointed the wrong way.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tinto said:
Absolutely right. Canada is presently struggling with the idea of maintaining 500 troops in Afghanistan after the 2000 now ending their tour of duty over there come home. More likely they'd get help from Portugal than Canada.

Canada is actually considering Police, not soldiers at this time. And money. I don't know if it makes sense to send Police though, as the situation sounds like it's developed beyond regular policing duties.

The Monroe Doctrine ain't so dead when the cause is something the U.S. is interested in. The U.S. reluctantly put him in power and doesn't any up side in getting involved again.

Maybe if they find oil. :)
If Haiti had oil, they'd jump ahead of Canada on our statehood waiting list. After all, just a short hop over to the other side of the Island is Punta Cana:cool:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
they'd jump ahead of Canada on our statehood waiting list.
That would put them just behind Turks and Caicos. Just you wait, the minute our government negotiates a "dollar at par" price for the place, all 30 million of us will say "you can have it". Florida's gonna be mighty crowded.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
We still got Puerto Rico, Guam and Tijuana. And Cancun! Don't forget Cancun!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I'm sure that you guys have dibs on Micronesia, too. I swear, those Micronesians can whip up a mai tai with a little pink umbrella faster than you can say, "Grass hula skirts".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts