Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After his recent success in the UEFA Cup, Gica Hagi has said that he will consider staying on with the Romanian National team after Euro 2000 and help them qualify for World Cup 2002. He feels great right now, and his fitness is good.

In my opinion, I think he could be a good part of the team for the qualifiers, even if he would play 60 minutes or less. He would still be inspiring and the youngsters would have someone to learn from.

This could also influence whether Popescu and Petrescu are going to retire as well.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i hope he retires because it will be a big mistake if he plays for romania in the wc2002 qualifiers. if he plays the qualifiers, then the team is depending too much on him and when hagi isnt there for wc2002, they will not perform well because of hagi's absence....if they get used to it sooner, its better for the national team performing in tourniments.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hagi deserves that match, yet can you tell me more- who's invited for this match?
I bet Stoichkov would be glad to play, Lacatus might show up...
I'm looking forward to this match, such games are always a show for the people on the stadium.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I am hoping that he will stay for another year but he shoud quit.

He is a legend and he should leave soccer as a legend. at the peak of his carreer. Fist 4 months of this season, i have to admit he sucked. he lost every single ball and did not help at all to Galata. Everyomne agreed that Galata played much better without him . He was slowing the ga,e. But then he BECAME HAGI again :) but i dont want this to happen to him again.

·
International
9,682 Posts
I think if he decides not to retire, he will continue only with Glaata.

4 clubs had already prepared to him a retirement match: FC Farul, Steaua, Barcelona and Brescia. Galata will too, but they're hoping Hagi will continue one year.

Hagi retirement match in Constanta on Farul stadim will be played on the 15th of August, on the Navy Day, and there will be a whole carnival. It will be a double party because the Navy Day in Constanta is one of the most important aniversaries. The match will probably be between Romania and some of Hagi team mates over the years like Figo, Stoichkov, etc.

HAI ROMANIA!!!
HAI HAGI!!!
FORZA FARUL!!!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
do they have to be only his old teammates because i think it would only be a party if maradona comes because hagi is considered the maradona of carpathians(damn, i dont know how to spell that :))

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
David, this game has to take place :) . This would be a tremendous show. Plus there are enough friends of Hagi from all around the world who'd support one of the greatest playmakers ever. I believe Laudrup and Romario might show up. Butragheno if he's called. Heh, pity all these players are finishing with football. It'd be a pity losing them. The new ones are good also, but they don't carry that magnificance :eek: .
For example: The derby with the oldies from Levski and CSKA planned for this summer would be far more valuable than any derby with the present players. :eek:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
EclipsE this is not funny :eek: , this is tragic- kidding. Anyway, I'm sorry some of these guys recognized WHO is HAGI so late (yet many of them don't SEE it). Plus they had the opportunity to watch him alive. It's a pity he could not have taught them this lesson earlier. :) They don't know what they have missed.
But yeah, it's funny to compare Redondo with Hagi since they are far from having anything in common (one of them is a defensive player). And they speak about one trick Redondo made many games ago, while Hagi makes ten times more TRICKS in EVERY game.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know giani I was so upset to see no respect being shown to him. Oh well, like you said they don't know what they missed. I agree about the comparisons between Redondo being unfair because of the positions and roles also. Well said giani.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah the goal he scored from a free kick was out standing, anyway that WC could have been better for Romania, but at least Bulgaria reached the semi finals, that still makes me proud :)

D

·
0 Posts
I think Hagi will definitely retire form International football after that match with Yugoslavia in October.

I doubt he will come back to play in the 2002 WC, maybe he will be in the coachingg staff, or even coach himself.

I will remember Hagi most by his maestro performance at the WC 94. Romania deserved to go further.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts