1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview with "ProSport" magazine, Romanian captain Gheorghe Hagi
said that he won't return to play in his home
country until the game fixing that is rampant
throughout Romanian soccer draws to a close.
His exact words were: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>"If the corruption continues, I will never return to
play in Romania,"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> said Hagi in reference to the recent confession on behalf of 17 players who were fired by their club's president after that they refused to lose a game. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>"I am embarrassed by the status of Romanian football,"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> continued Hagi, who added that he hopes he is not associated with what is going in his country.

The 35-year-old veteran concluded the interview by saying that there is only a one percent chance that he will continue to play soccer following the EURO 2000 Championships, but if he does, it will only be with Galatasaray.

Source: www.soccerAge.com

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, of course they do. Balakov and Hagi are both legends in their countries and in the Balkans. I hope Hagi and Balakov's statements will carry enogh respect to change some of the people in Romanian and Bulgarian soccer and stop them from match fixing.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
it is disappointing for football players in romania....i know that the hagi comments would be avoided by the owners because football is nothing but a business to profit off of.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Yes. Hagi declared years ago that he will return in Romania only as a coach and sponsor and only at my home town team, Farul. :) :)
Hagi sponsors the team since '97.

He made those declarations because Farul and Craiova (Gica Popescu's team) are struggling for avoiding relegation with two very corrupted teams: Rocar and FCM Brasov (Giani knows, I told him in MM about those two).

Pro Sport published two weeks ago a similar interview with Popescu. Conicidence? no. REALITY.

Saturday a match that will decide the last team that will relegate will be played at Georghe Hagi stadium: FARUL - FCM Brasov. The stadium will be full, I'm sure of it.

So guys, wish me good luck!!!

FORZA FAAAAAAARUL!!!

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
He might stay in galatasaray but if he doesnt i think he is gonna retire. Galata president wants him so bad that he offered him a lot of money again and hagi loves turkey as his second home, he says so he says he migt saty for another year.
In the begininnig of the year he said he was quitting for sure and galata didnt want him as much cuz he was playing baly. But he played so great in the past few months everyone wants him to stay but of course the guy wants to leave soccer still as a legend, having played so well even in his last year. I think he has worries that he might not play so well. He has 13 goals in turkish league with 2 weeks to go. Common the guy is 35 and it isnt easy to score 13 goals in a seson when playing midfielder.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he will play another year if Gala win UEFA Cup. Also, he might play another year for our national team to help them qualify for WC2002 if Romania does good at Euro2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts