Discussion Starter #1
Beattie - 27 next month - 6 million

Morientes - 29 in April - 6.3 million

Look at who we could have bought for around the same price:D:D:D

Bless their little souls :dielaugh:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
hehehe, the poor souls must be Evertonians.

Pretty much shows how big is the gap between the clubs. On the field, you're as good as your last game, but off the pitch, history says it all.

:cool:

·
Registered
574 Posts
you can almost hear it next door...

"damn Reds !!" :D

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
LOOOL..

Seriously though.. this is a clear example of how English clubs are actually forcing others to go buy foreign players.. we hear a lot of that worrying nag from the fans that foreigners are filling the EPL.. but it's clear as daylight that the clubs are over pricing English talent.. Beattie for £6m, Dawson for £6m... and Morientes for £6.3m!!

Although I want Liverpool to keep the 'English' connection.. I can understand it if they don't.. We currently have 4 (British+Aussie) players in our first team (Carra, Finnan, Gerrard and Kewell).. not a big number at all.. but then again, Arsenal have 2 (A. Cole and Campbell) and Chelsea have 3 (Lampard, Duff and Terry).. Man U have the better number here in 7 (Carroll, Neville, Rio, Keane, Rooney, Giggs and Scholes).. but the point is I can see this continuing as non-English clubs are thinking business wise and securing good deals.. English clubs shoot the price into the sky the moment a bigger club is interested.. thus losing the deal altogether.. unless they're dealing with Chelsea.. :)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Yasir said:
We currently have 4 (British+Aussie) players in our first team (Carra, Finnan, Gerrard and Kewell).. not a big number at all.. but then again, Arsenal have 2 (A. Cole and Campbell) and Chelsea have 3 (Lampard, Duff and Terry).. Man U have the better number here in 7 (Carroll, Neville, Rio, Keane, Rooney, Giggs and Scholes)..
Yup, Finnan, Duff and Keane are British. :D Just kidding Yaz, don't take me seriously.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
funny thing is that, the reason why small clubs hike up the price is so that they can use the money from the trasnfer to fund more new transfers or settle debts. With that, they can stabilize the team by not making them over-reliant on a certain player, and raising the standard of the team with a few quality purchases from the transfer money.

They keep repeating this again and again until they've reached the level where they have good youngsters coming up and a solid first team squad challenging for honours. Little by little, the level of the club rises and grows into a big club (in an ideal world).

This way a club, no matter how small, or which legue/division they're in, can still survive.

Besides that, when you have a Russian tycoon throwing his money around, who wouldn't want to jump in and grab a handful eh? :D:pp

On Chelsea: I think they good on the English side coz if u add their 1st & 2nd teamers, you'll get Terry, Johnson, Bridge, Lampard, Parker, J.Cole, all six players who are involved in the NT set-up.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
they are not British they are the neutral Oirish who are just here for the craic and to make a lot of friends along the way. :pp

incidentally, i don't see how a bloody Aussie can be lumped in with the homegrowns either. :pp

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
But the potential of each statements differ, and the latter statement defo has higher potential.

Its a comparison of the significance and ability of the two players. Both are significant and integral to each teams play, however, as an individual, both players are far from each other in terms of proven quality.

Its the same with Gerrard, we are never sure we would beat United with him in the side. It could go both ways. its the same in my statement. The thing is that, having Gerrard in the side would defo make defeating United a less daunting task, and its the exact same thing with having Moro around.

There's a diff in the level of play between us and Everton, and whilst Beattie gives Everton more edge up front, and the possibility of more goals, their style of play does not change. With Moro, our style of play will have another different outlet to exert itself on the opposing defenses.

Its not only the individual, its also how the teams plays with the individual. Beattie is similiar in many ways to Ferguson, and does not offer sth diff like Rooney did. Moro is not similiar to any of the current strikers we have, and offers sth diff than what Sinama, Mellor & Baros has to offer.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Although I do feel much better with Moro in our side.. I can easily counter argue your opinion here..

1. If Beattie can reproduce his form of 2 years ago.. Everton have got one hell of a goal scorer.. especially when they've had to depend on the likes of Ferguson and Campbell in past seasons..

2. Everton without Rooney are playing better than with him.. I don't think they got Beattie to be the next Dunc.. he's there to partner Bent.. Bent has been forced to go deeper and on the flanks to get balls.. well with Beattie.. they can afford that, while having a main man who knows how to get the ball into the net.. Actually, with the set up they have currently.. Everton are quite a good side.. and a tough nut to crack.. they kinda have a set up similar to ours with one sole striker.. Cahill somewhere behind him (ala LG).. Osman on the right.. Gravesen and Carsley in the middle (Gerrard and Hamann).. and Kilbane on the left (Riise).. Of course, if Real Madrid get their man (and they usually do).. Everton's 2nd half of the season could be a very different one :)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
RazorUK said:
Beattie - 27 next month - 6 million

Morientes - 29 in April - 6.3 million

Look at who we could have bought for around the same price:D:D:D

Bless their little souls :dielaugh:
Fine debut by Mori :D :pp

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Just give Mori a go he's a proven striker and could become a real focal point for the pool in europe especially.I'd query not signing someone like Jimm as well,But Morientes will need a fait bit of time to settle to the way of life in England in footballing terms and life in general.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
#1 - Form is temporary, class is permanent. Even with Beattie striking top form, the game play of the team would still be one-dimensional. With the loss of Gravesen, the game play of Everton will not include many thru passes as Gavesen is the one who makes them. Besides that, the lack of a ball-playing striker to really complement Beattie, and the lack of a fluid, passing game play to complement the ball-playing striker will increase the dependency on Beattie more, esp if he starts scoring.

#2 - For their score on hard work, industry, grit and determination, they lack considerable class, flair and most of all, subtlety. All the big teams who beat Everton played on the deck and outsmarted them. Everton cannot do this to big teams. They beat small teams by outfighting them. The inclusion of Beattie alone does not turn them into that kind of a passing team, sth like us buying Moro will not turning us into the complete team now.

The level of Everton's current play, on average, although high in determination and power, are still the level of mid-table teams. They will still need one or two more quality across the first 11 in certain positions to turn them into a team that consistently plays like a top 5 team. Bolllocks to those who say they are currently top 5. Top 5 teams don't hang around up there one season, then takes a nose dive into the relegation zone the next, and then decides to go up and play with the mid-table teams another. Top 5 teams, stay at top 5, and when they lost it in the season, won't drop lower than 10 unless its a huge crisis.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Interista said:
Aye, Remind me how Beats did against Plymouth :D
He actually did quite well and was well involved in setting up Osman's opener ;)

karrmadamaii said:
#2 - For their score on hard work, industry, grit and determination, they lack considerable class, flair and most of all, subtlety. All the big teams who beat Everton played on the deck and outsmarted them. Everton cannot do this to big teams. They beat small teams by outfighting them. The inclusion of Beattie alone does not turn them into that kind of a passing team, sth like us buying Moro will not turning us into the complete team now.
Liverpool must also be a pretty small club as well then, we beat them if am right in saying ;). BTW, Chelsea did not outsmart us at Stamford Bridge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts