Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As probably most of you know, the Arsenal website did a countdown in which fans voted for the greatest 50 Arsenal players.

Here was the top 5

1. Thierry Henry
2. Dennis Bergkamp
3. Tony Adams
4. Ian Wright
5. Patrick Vieira
6. Robert Pires
7. David Seaman
8. Liam Brady
9. Charlie George
10. Pat Jennings

We all knew Henry would have been number one, absolutely no doubt about it whatsoever and you can't say he didn't deserve it.

I thought it was pretty fair. However, I was surprised that Bergkamp polled so high, but after reading the description they gave about him, I thought it was deserved and just.

I would have thought that Adams and Wright would have perhaps polled ahead of Bergkamp, but alas I was wrong.

When I saw Vieira and Pires at five and six respectively, I thought it was strange, but then again it made sense, how we could do with another Bobby Pires replica next season. He was fantastic, and well, Vieira, amazing.

I thought the top 5 would have been

1. Henry
2. Adams
3. Wright
4. Bergkamp
5. Vieira

So, what are other peoples thought about this?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I think it speaks volumes about the quality of players when we can't decide who will be the best in the Top 5 after Henry. Every player on that list was absolutely fantastic for us and all played vital parts in our success.

I'm just happy these guys played for Arsenal and because of most of them I am a life-long fan.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Ljunberg, Kanu and Overmars have no business being ranked that high. Alan Ball, Rocky Rocastle and Alan Smith should've been 11, 12 and 13 in my opinion. Kanu seems to have made it because of the hat trick he scored on Ed De Goey. I would've liked it if Anders Limpar would've made it instead of him.

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
Limpar was a fantastic player

very good shout :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
David Hillier no.51 I presume?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yeah Hillier not being in it is a bleeding liberty, I thought Selley and McGoldrick might get in there as well, not to mention Jimmy Carter.

I read the list and am I right that one of our greatest ever captains and five times champion Hapgood is not even in it, it's not modern biased or anything then?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Henry - It's a true honour to be voted the Greatest Gunner

By Richard Clarke

Thierry Henry has thanked the Arsenal fans for voting him as the Greatest Gunner ever.

The Frenchman beat off the likes of Dennis Bergkamp, Tony Adams and Patrick Vieira to scoop the award after poll was held on Arsenal.com during May.

The result were revealed over the course of the summer, with the No 1 and 2 spots unveiled on Thursday. Speaking exclusively to Club website on Friday, Henry seemed delighted with his accolade.

“Thanks to everyone who voted for me,” he said. “It’s always a true honour when something is voted for by the fans, especially Arsenal fans as they have many great players from their past to choose from.

“As you know, I loved my time at Arsenal and have many fantastic memories from my eight years there. It was an honour to play in the historic red and white of Arsenal especially at Highbury. I’ll always follow the team and what they do. I’ll always be a Gooner in my heart.

“And finally thanks to the fans for their support during my time at the club. They were right behind me and the team in good times and bad.”

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
yeah Hillier not being in it is a bleeding liberty, I thought Selley and McGoldrick might get in there as well, not to mention Jimmy Carter.

I read the list and am I right that one of our greatest ever captains and five times champion Hapgood is not even in it, it's not modern biased or anything then?
I thought it was a modern bias as well. Fecking Kanu, Ljunberg and Overmars were never that good.

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
I'd have voted Bergkamp at no 1. He was the single most important thing to happen to Arsenal for a long long time. It's hard to leave out Henry though isnt it?

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
David O'Dreary?

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
I'd have voted Bergkamp at no 1. He was the single most important thing to happen to Arsenal for a long long time. It's hard to leave out Henry though isnt it?
Anyone not voting Henry as N°1 are only bitter because he left for Barcelona...

Henry was not only the best at Arsenal, he has also been the best of the premiership in the past decade.

The fact that he left for Barcelona and the way he performs there doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts