Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 04/01/2004
Time: 5:30 PM Kuwait time

The two giant Gulf teams clash today! I hope it will be a good exciting match.

Go Kuwait :cool: ;)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I expect an easy win for Saudis,even though Saudis are not convincing so far but Kuwaities ain't giants anymore, actually they are as small as never before.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1-1:(

I think it was by far the most enternaining match in this tournament. A lot of quality football even from Q8 who showed a completely different face.

Again KSA, missed a lot of chances and from min 87 on, were certain of their win. It looked to me that Q8 were going to score another in extra time. Our defense was extremely shaky in the final mins.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Daylight robbery :mad: !

We hammered them! Scored a goal and had another disallowed, dominated in every way and all we got in return was sucker punch 1-1. As usual, the opposing team was content to just sit back and defend, and the match officials didn't know the offside rule (nor did the TV producer who always pauses the action at the wrong point).

Absolutely disgusted by the result :yuck:. But we still lead the standings.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Shalhoob was sooo lucky that he scored a goal, because other than that he was a total waste of space.
And what the hell were they doing for Kuwait's goal? Al Ghamdi, Douki and Swayed were simply looking on while the Kuwaiti player scored. Why wasn't one of them marking him?

The first half was pretty even, both teams had their fair share of chances but the second was all Saudi save a few sparse ventures forward by Kuwait.

As for the disallowed goal, i only saw the replay once and it looked emphatically offside but perhaps Hijazzey is right. They never show the line properly and freeze frame it, they show the player making his run and then stop it. Which almost always makes it look as if the player made his run from an offside position.

All in all, we did deserve to win. But i think we lack a finisher in this team, someone that can convert a half-chance and will test the opposing goal keeper consistently. We seem to procrastinate whenever we get to the opponents half.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Nero said:
Shalhoob was sooo lucky that he scored a goal, because other than that he was a total waste of space.
Though i completly agree (and i insist Shalhoob should never be in the NT because of his size, unless he is a SUPER player, and he isn't), let me ask Osama, who WASN'T a waste????

Our team was horrible. Kuwait looked like amatuers and we still couldn't beat this team. Ibrahim Suwayed is a player of 25 minutes, not more. Talal Al-Mishal completly forgot their is a rule called "offside", and what about Noor? our so called "best" player was terrible again! he simply tries to do tooooo much all the time and simply fails over and over again!! did you see that miss from 6 yards, when he wasn't even challanged? :wth:

Lets face it, we are seriously lagging behind the east Asian top nations now (Korea and Japan), the outlook is very disappointing.

I still have hopes in Yossri, though he too hasn't done all that well in this tournement.

As for Kuwait, very disappointing to see them use such tactics as a host nation. How #15 (think his name was Waleed Ali) didn't get sent-off is beyond me...i swear if his father was the ref he would have shown him the red card! two tackles from behind with no intention for the ball in a 5 minute span (early second half, both against Doukhi).

No need to point out how our defense completly watched the goal and did nothing.

Saying all that, i have say Ahmed Doukhi is actually improving IMO. I thought he had his chance over and over again in the NT and he blew it, but IMO he is actually having a good tournement (Yes Adel, i can compliment a Hilali player if he is any good ;)).

Salam :)

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Mo,

Chill out! Have a glass of tea with lemon.
I know the result is dissapointing, but I think you're being a bit harsh. Our team did everything right except finish. One lapse of concentration (it was Janoubi who went AWOL and played everyone onside, Nero) doesn't change that.
I do see some improvement; We're passing the ball better, we're creating chances and our defence has improved. We're playing better in this gulf cup, than the previous one in Riyadh.
I for one think, that this team can do well in the Asian cup. Maybe not win it, but go far.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Come on guys,

I have not seen this teamwork and good passing in the NT in a loooong time! We are by far the unluckiest team. And remember, this is the GC. A tournament that we have historically never played well.

I am certain that by WC 2006 qualifiers, we should be on par with Korea and China. I honestly think that Korea is overrated. Their success in the WC at home was due to many factors. But without Hiddink and the other factors, I doubt if the can play better than other top Asian nations. Japan on the other hand is another story.:depress:

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
MoMo,

I wasn't talking about the dissallowed goal in particular, even though it was border line and the linesman didn't raise his flag (the ref overruled), but in general. The majority of the decisions were wrong. For example there was that time when Noor played that "peeled" ball through the defenders to Mishaal who was 1-on-1, that was blatantly onside.

In any case, I wasn't implying that they cost us the win (you can pin that on Janoubi), just that (as always) they're sh!t.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone.. well this is after the game against Oman.. but I couldn't find a thread and thought to reply to what I've just read too..

First of all, the Kuwait game.. Yes, there are improvements.. that I can't deny.. but no where near what I'd expect.. and the biggest flaw we have is finishing.. Noor's the Saudi league's top scorer! and he fluffed chances that my daughter could've scored.. our whole offence was quite casual in their approach.. Suwayid, Shalhoob, Qahtani and Noor seemed unsure who should shoot?! good vision by Suwayid to pick out Al Shalhoob.. although it was very clear to everyone that Suwayid was out of gas at the end of the first half.. why he continued and Yasir Al Qahtani removed.. I do not know!

Sloppy goal to concede.. and a woeful performance by Kuwait! I've never seen them play that badly.. the GK did well.. Bashar Abdulla gets a nod.. and that's it.. I was shocked when their defence simply hand the ball back to us!!

As for the Oman game: we won 2-1.. kinda insuring we're retaining the cup for another 2 years..

Pros: 1. Excellent 2nd half.. good first one.. best game of the tournament if u ask me.. both teams gave it their all..

2. The actual fact that we were behind and managed to fight our way back.. Noor and Al Qahtani scoring..

3. The tournament has proved that Yasir Al Qahtani is one of those prospects we should keep and eye on.. he's energetic.. has skills, vision and actually thinks! Oh and what a through ball from al Wadaani to open up the chance for Yasir (not me :D)

cones.. 42 fouls in the game!! 25 on Saudi.. 17 on Oman!!
Yosri al Basha had another poor game.. Sorry Mo, u were saying he hasn't done that well.. he actually hasn't done well at all!! Al Mishal did add some spark to the side after coming on.. but missed a chance that would have been tucked away by an NFL punter!! (Yes, it was that simple!)..

and of course the crappy pitch :D

But a very entertaining game.. I think we're 90% sure of the cup now.. but what I'm pleased about is that we improved vs the game against UAE..

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yasir said:
Yosri al Basha had another poor game.. Sorry Mo, u were saying he hasn't done that well.. he actually hasn't done well at all!! Al Mishal did add some spark to the side after coming on.. but missed a chance that would have been tucked away by an NFL punter!! (Yes, it was that simple!)..
Hold on, even though i really like Talal, this isn't fair.

Your comparing a player who plays for a small club in what is his first real NT experience, against someone who is supposed to be our top forward for the NT at this level.

While Yossri hasn't showed his full potential (though i think he was great in the UAE game), Talal has been horrible throughout the tournement! He was abseloutly doing nothing in the beginning (hence the coach benched him), against Kuwait, he was offside 5 times or so in 20 minutes! :wth: , and against Oman...how many sitters did he miss?

I think (said it in other thread) Yossri and Yasir deserve more chance to develop, and i hope they are plucked by bigger Saudi clubs so they can improve.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
Hold on, even though i really like Talal, this isn't fair.

Your comparing a player who plays for a small club in what is his first real NT experience, against someone who is supposed to be our top forward for the NT at this level.

While Yossri hasn't showed his full potential (though i think he was great in the UAE game), Talal has been horrible throughout the tournement! He was abseloutly doing nothing in the beginning (hence the coach benched him), against Kuwait, he was offside 5 times or so in 20 minutes! :wth: , and against Oman...how many sitters did he miss?

I think (said it in other thread) Yossri and Yasir deserve more chance to develop, and i hope they are plucked by bigger Saudi clubs so they can improve.
So? Yosri had one good game.. period (and he didn't score either).. the other games he played in where not good at all.. I never said Talal played well.. all I said was our attack (- Yasir Al Qahtani) were woeful in the tournament.. Yosri and Talal.. But I'd still have them over Sami Al Jaber or Al Jamaan (The Saudi version of Heskey!) any day!

As for him playing for Al Ittifaq.. that's no small club.. It was always considered right after the big 4.. and they have the trophies to prove that.. they've been in financial and form trouble these past two years (would u call Lazio a small club)?

Oh and I disagree with your last comment.. if anything.. I want them to stay with Ittifaq and Qadsiya.. why?

1. They're nearly sure of starting.. look at Hussein Ali.. a starter and top goal scorer with Al Ittifaq.. moved to Hilal.. can BARELY get a spot on the bench! Don't want to see that happening to Yosri or Yasir.. just imagine if they went to Al Ahli, AlIttihad or Al Hilal.. when would they play?!

2. Both Al Ittifaq and Al Qadsiya are building teams that depend on team work and improving skills.. that's where I want development players to be.. a good example is that Al Wadaani and Al Kareeri both play very good team football.. same goes for Yasir..

3. If anything, we don't have that gulf in techniques and training between bigger clubs and smaller clubs (not like in England where Man U players live and train totally differently from say Southampton players).. The only difference is the coach and his training methods.. and the wages.. I like what Pevarnik is doing with Al Qadsiya.. and Al Ittifaq have a shot on the U23 League Cup and play really well when on form..

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
Though i completly agree (and i insist Shalhoob should never be in the NT because of his size, unless he is a SUPER player, and he isn't), let me ask Osama, who WASN'T a waste????
Sorry for the belated reply Mo, but i thought vs Kuwait while we weren't playing like worldbeaters but we weren't all that bad either. Relatively speaking, of course. :)

The Gulf Cup has not been a tournament the Saudi NT puts a 100% in, certainly not recently. I think all things accounted for, we've been a class above the opposition without having to break a sweat. Obviously, the general level of Gulf countries is mediocre in relation to the other top Asian countries, but at least we're solidifying our place as the region's best team. And frankly, and i don't know how long that will last once Iraq starts competing in these tournaments on a regular basis...

But at least a lot of the old farts have been put to pasture and some of the up and coming young'ins are getting a chance to represent the senior side.

As for the Yosri vs Talal debate, while neither have impressed in the Gulf Cup, at least one can see that Yosri has potential to do much more. Obviously he needs to show that on the international stage and do it quickly, but i just don't see what else Talal brings to the NT other than being a semi-competent striker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts