Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 29/12/2003
Time: 6:35 PM Kuwait Time

After watching Qatar's performance vs Bahrain yesterday, I expect Saudi to win rather easily 3-0.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
still 0-0 with 20 minutes to go.

double substitutions for Saudi: Manaf for Shalhoub and Kareiri for Ghamdi (ie. like for like substitutions).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Awful performance by our guys. Only two real chances. Even the missed PK was from a silly and unneccessary mistake by a Qatari defender.
Talal played the worst match of his career. Is he going to imitate Obeid and Marzook, i.e. shine for 2-3 years and then disappear? The sad thing is that there doesn't seem to be good attackers around. Basha's talents seem to be limited and I'm not too sure about Yasser AL-Qahtani, although he should be given a chance against Bahrain. If our purpose is to build for WC2006, then we should rely on players from the Olympic side.

For now, expect more 0-0 scorelines. Our defensive organization is very good, and with the attackers we have seen so far, I don't see how we can concede a goal. Maybe one freak goal no more. But will that be enough to win the tournament?

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I was bored to hell by the match.. problem is I was at a gathering and HAD to watch it.. :dontcare:

100% penalty.. can't understand why the Qatari players went nuts on the ref.. even the Qatari commentator on Al Jazeera said waaaaaaad7a.. STUPID miss by Al Shalhoob.. but then again.. he was never a penalty taker.. so why is he now?

The tournamnet is turning to be one of the biggest let downs in history.. lots of draws.. mainly 0-0s.. not the attendance u'd want.. and a pitch that would be better used for horse racing than football!!

Agree with Dossary, Al Mishal was poor.. but I can't say anyone was special and excellent..

There was THAT goal caused by Noor's shot which was disallowed.. now this really baffled me.. at first.. I thought it was a hand ball case.. but the replay shows that it hit the side of his head.. then the commentator said off side.. I said, Ya maybe.. but they replayed it from various angles after the game.. and there was a Qatari defender on the far right who made Noor onside.. now I don't expect the ref to see that.. but how about the bloody linesman?! With that said.. Noor should have been off the field by then for the UNBELIEVEBLY STUPID hand ball attempt!! Who does he think he is? Maradona?!!

Anyway.. 3rd 0-0 of the tournamnet.. 4th draw.. in 6 games!! :skull: :sleepy:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Well, we suck don't we? :( this tournement is showing how far we are falling behind eastern asian nations....and at a scary rate too!

We lacked creativity, i agree Talal was invisible, and Yossri hasn't delivered the level of football we have seen from him (i still have lots of faith in this boy, if he played for Hilal, he would be spoken of much more highly), but our midfield really lacks any attacking punch. With no Nawaf and the ever injured Matter, Noor is our only skillful player, and he can't do it alone. His attempts were useless, but i can't blame him for being a bit selfish...what to do?

Shalhoob is simply VERY useless, i simply can't believe this player is in our NT (he is a hilaly player, the only reason). Didn't we learn anything from WC2002? we can't afford to put players like Shalhoob unless they have exceptional talent...wasn't that the excuse why Gahwaji never made it? Shalhoob, who is supposed to be our second playmaker with Noor, didn't do anything right all game.

Can't speak much of the rest, as they weren't tested, though i am also shocked how Omar Al-Ghamdi is still NT material...are we that lacking in the DMC department? :(

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
All of a sudden, I'm finding the gulf cup to be useful!
Qatar really exposed our lack of steel. They gave us the ball, and invited us to attack them, but we just didn't have the nous and firepower to break them down. We couldn't force the goal.

But I don't think it's all about personnel. Sure, Mishaal sucked (I expected that, with him being benched at his club), and god knows why Ghamdi is still in the NT. But I do think there's a problem in the shape of the team. I mentioned the midfield formation that Van Der Lim was using in a previous post, and I've come to the conclusion it doesn't work.

Haven't you guys noticed that the team improves noticeably when Saud Kareiri comes on the field? Basically he replaces Ghamdi, and the midfield turns into a conventional diamond midfield with Kareiri on the right, and suddenly the team has an outlet on both sides of the field. You might say it weakens the defence by having only one DM, but Noor can always play deeper.

In any case, thing's aren't so sombre. We have good foundations for a team. The defence is better, we have some quality players in midfield. Attacking play can be worked on. The important thing is the base.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
All of a sudden, I'm finding the gulf cup to be useful!
Qatar really exposed our lack of steel. They gave us the ball, and invited us to attack them, but we just didn't have the nous and firepower to break them down. We couldn't force the goal.

But I don't think it's all about personnel. Sure, Mishaal sucked (I expected that, with him being benched at his club), and god knows why Ghamdi is still in the NT. But I do think there's a problem in the shape of the team. I mentioned the midfield formation that Van Der Lim was using in a previous post, and I've come to the conclusion it doesn't work.

Haven't you guys noticed that the team improves noticeably when Saud Kareiri comes on the field? Basically he replaces Ghamdi, and the midfield turns into a conventional diamond midfield with Kareiri on the right, and suddenly the team has an outlet on both sides of the field. You might say it weakens the defence by having only one DM, but Noor can always play deeper.

In any case, thing's aren't so sombre. We have good foundations for a team. The defence is better, we have some quality players in midfield. Attacking play can be worked on. The important thing is the base.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with Ahmad, the Saudi FA has been stressing that we are playing these tournaments for the sole purpose of building a new team for WC2006. The goalie, defense, and defensive organization were good, with the exception of the rookie Khaibari, but then Saleh Al-Sagri, the starter, is injured. The next step will be to improve the attacking organization. That usually takes time.

Mo,

This is the second season without hearing accusations of biased refereeing or favoratism. So, we fans should be more level-headed and not keep talking about conspiracies. Shalhoub has a serious size problem and played awful against Qatar. But he deservedly won the MVP award against UAE. Look at how many balls he sent to the attackers! One of the reasons he is a starter on the NT is that he has been playing consistently for Hilal the past couple of years. This season he played every match as a playmaker. Still I believe that after this tournament he should be dropped from the NT since he can't compete in the Asian Cup or the WC. I doubt if Temyat will be ready for AC2004 this summer. He still hasn't started for Hilal.

Btw, A record was broken yesterday. The NT ended the match with 7 players from ittihad! When Sagri recovers, and Blowi purchases Eissa Al-Mhayyani, our NT will probably be Ittihad + Dookhi. :D It's not so bad as it would mean that the team will play much better as a unit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts