Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guardiola is reported to have injured his knee in last weeks encounter with Juve. He'll be out of the WC this summer. Looks like it's Xavi that's in.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Too bad :( he could have been a creative influence off the bench (not to start though)

I would rather see Xavi then Albelda, but Baraja is on form and he deserves alot of starting time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well that sucks. I was hoping to see Pep in his last hurrah for the NT. I hope Xavi doesn't go. No disrespect but he isn't international material.

·
Registered
271 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/spain/newsid_1960000/1960247.stm

Spain midfielder Josep Guardiola will miss the World Cup for the second time after tests on a knee injury revealed ligament damage.
Former Barcelona captain Guardiola was hoping to make a late bid to be part of Jose Antonio Camacho's squad next month.

Guardiola, who now plays for Brescia, also missed the finals in France four years ago because of a knee problem.

Spain, again highly fancied by many, will face Slovenia, Paraguay and South Africa in the Group B in the finals.

"He has suffered damage to his collateral ligament and will be out until the end of July," said a spokesman for Guardiola's Italian club.

The World Cup finals in South Korea and Japan begin on 31 May.

It is another setback for the 31-year-old who twice tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone late last year.

He served a four-month ban in his first Serie A season for the northern club.

Since his return to action in March he has featured regularly for Brescia, who are fighting to avoid relegation.

Guardiola sustained the injury in Brescia's 5-0 defeat by Juventus on Sunday.

Spanish boss Camacho had recently hinted that Guardiola could gain a place in his final squad of 23.

However the veteran was not called up for Spain's recent friendlies against Northern Ireland and the Netherlands.

Guardiola played every game for Spain at Euro 2000, helping them reach the quarter-finals.

He also helped his country reach the last eight in the World Cup in 1994 and earned a recall to the international set-up before his November ban.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are there always so many injuries before World Cups?

Pires, Beckham, Neville, Nowotny, at least one important Mexican player, and now Guardiola... is it normal?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Very sad news and such bad luck for Pep. If I missed 2 World Cups in a row or any 2 World Cups I would be absolutely tearing my hair out. All the best to him.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I hoped he will made it, but... Yes, may be he wouldn`t be a starter at WC, but his experience and spirit could helped us a lot. Hope he will leave Italy soon and will join Barcelona after Gaspart lose the next elections.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Too bad! And a real pitty for Guardiola who deserves all the respect in the world for his peformences for almost a decade.

Good luck Pep!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
not only pep will miss the WC but sergi will also miss the WC too..

Injured-Again Sergi To Miss World Cup
News Archive

05/03/2002. Barcelona left-back Sergi is deemed extremely doubtful for the forthcoming World Cup after injuring yet again his ailing left knee. The Catalan veteran suffered this fresh injury during Barcelona's Champions League defeat by Real Madrid earlier this week.

soccerage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts