Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday 21st May 2002

Roma president Franco Sensi claimed on Tuesday night that Josep Guardiola would shortly join the club and revealed he was in talks with forwards Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Djibril Cisse and Adriano.

Juventus were also in the hunt for Guardiola, who was banned for using steroids in his first season at Brescia, but impressed upon his return as the club avoided relegation. The Catalan is now a free agent.

"I apologise to Juve general manager Luciano Moggi, but I have an agreement with Josep Guardiola. He will play for us," boomed Sensi, whose dislike of the Turin club runs deep.

"I am also confident of buying Edgar Davids for £12 million," he said, in response to Moggi's earlier comments that the Dutchman was only available for £25 million. "This is a personal battle between the two of us," Sensi added.

"As for strikers, I am not sure that Gabriel Batistuta will stay with us. But we are talking with many clubs. We like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Djibril Cisse and Adriano.

"We are also interested in the Brazil defender Anderson Polga. In fact, we like him a lot. At the moment I can't say anything more, we have to wait for the end of the World Cup. But I am more confident of a positive solution than a negative one."

Davids has reportedly signed a pre-contract agreement with Roma, but Juve are determined to get full value for the Pitbull.

"They can have Edgar, but it will cost them £25 million," said Moggi, two days after insisting the player was not for sale. "If we discover Edgar has signed an agreement with Roma, we will punish him."

Roma have offered Francisco Lima and Marcos Assuncao in exchange for Davids, but neither player interests the Scudetto holders.

They would be happy to do business if Vincent Candela and Damiano Tommasi were included in the deal, but coach Fabio Capello considers both integral to his plans.

Davids' future at Juve has been the cause of considerable speculation since he fell out with coach Marcello Lippi in December.

The Dutchman was angered by Lippi's decision to relegate him to the bench in favour of Igor Tudor for a Champions' League clash against Arsenal.

Tudor was injured early in the match and Davids replaced him, before going on to play an important role in Juve's successful fight for the championship.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We've Signed Guardiola, Says Sensi

05/21/2002. Roma president Franco Sensi claims that his side have shaken off competition from Juventus to sign Brescia midfielder Josep Guardiola.

"Guardiola is ours," he told a Roman radio station. "We beat Juve to him. We also know that Juve have to sell Davids. If he wants to come, we will deal in the price that we want and not what (Juve general manager) Moggi wants."

He also said that the future of Gabriel Batistuta will be decided after the World Cup before adding that the club were keeping an eye on Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Djibril Cisse, and Adriano. The club have been linked with each of the three players over the past few months.

The signing of Guardiola would represent a real coup for the Giallorossi, although the fans will surely be waiting for confirmation before they can say it's a done deal.

SA Italy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great done!Who is leaving???

I read that Batistuta may leave to either Chelsea or Fulham and that Siviglia may leave to Torino. We won't know for sure which players will really leave only after the world cup.

About Guardiola is this deal official? Has a contract been signed? Until its not official it can't be believed.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Isn't Guardiola a little old?, i know he's a good player, but we don't need more defensive midfielders, we need attackers, offensive midfielders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts