Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commented on this before but what do people think of Guardiola effect on World Cup winning teams. That's twice now that the core of the team's players that wins the World Cup comes from the club he manages. So is that just a strange coincidence?

Is there something to his training and conditioning that's preparing the players.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Let's just remember that Bayern won the triple before Pep stepped a foot in Germany, if anything he ruined that invincible team. It's the same core of players you claim Pep has created and or influenced. They were winners before him.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Losing 5-0 in the Champions League with such a talented team + Robben and Ribery. Pep was a massive failure last season. He also struggled to beat Moyes' United, that's how poor they were.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
People forget since new CL format was introduced no team ever done back to back CL wins..
I think guardiola did tremendous job first year with bayern.. they were breaking records in bundesliga...reached the sf of CL...
I dont think heynckes would have done better last year.

·
Registered
43,238 Posts
I commented on this before but what do people think of Guardiola effect on World Cup winning teams. That's twice now that the core of the team's players that wins the World Cup comes from the club he manages. So is that just a strange coincidence?

Is there something to his training and conditioning that's preparing the players.
:thumbsup: I was telling my Dad about this well before the Final.

But after watching the Final, there's another nice observation: the Guardiola team wins by a solitary goal minutes before penalties and the opposition misses a golden opportunity (Robben in 2010; Higuain last night) during normal time.

As for why there's a Guardiola effect, well, there's the fact that he's a great manager who also has had a core of world class players who have played together for years and therefore have better chemistry than all other teams.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
This wasn't a Guardiola affect, but a Heynckes one. The team played much more like the 12/13 Bayern with the use of space, efficiency, gegenpressing, and fluid movement across the attacking half, as evidenced throughout the tournament really. Just because Guardiola happens to be Bayern manager right now doesn't mean he takes a part in this triumph really, the mentality to come back stronger win after so many near successes was there in the players just as it was with Bayern for most of the core players who played much better in this tournament than they did at club level last season in any case, like Muller, Kroos, Schweinsteiger, and Boateng. Lahm at fullback still obviously works even though Pep tried to put an end to his playing days there.

·
minasstr f posterior
10,246 Posts

Originally posted by Firdaus
I was telling my Dad about this well before the Final.

But after watching the Final, there's another nice observation: the Guardiola team wins by a solitary goal minutes before penalties and the opposition misses a golden opportunity (Robben in 2010; Higuain last night) during normal time.

wominz plz stop lukin fo patterns nd clues everywhere.this is football nt bold nd da beautiful :groan:

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
The only guardiola influence observed is when muller dives or complains to the ref.

It's like watching Xavi and co all over again.

·
Assistant Waterboy
1,036 Posts
there was some influence shining through: opting for possession in the final third instead of going for a clear cross is something guardiola has instilled in mÜller and lahm.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the intensity and focus is coming through. I do think that Guardiola has no excuses not to win the Champions League next season he is blessed with the best team and attacking force with Bayern topping scoring charts in the World Cup.

·
Registered
856 Posts
This wasn't a Guardiola affect, but a Heynckes one. The team played much more like the 12/13 Bayern with the use of space, efficiency, gegenpressing, and fluid movement across the attacking half, as evidenced throughout the tournament really. Just because Guardiola happens to be Bayern manager right now doesn't mean he takes a part in this triumph really, the mentality to come back stronger win after so many near successes was there in the players just as it was with Bayern for most of the core players who played much better in this tournament than they did at club level last season in any case, like Muller, Kroos, Schweinsteiger, and Boateng. Lahm at fullback still obviously works even though Pep tried to put an end to his playing days there.
Completely agree with this.

At the group stage, Löw tried to play like Guardiola. But he switched into Heynckes model and Germany got a lot better.

Even though Guardiola won the league and the domestic cup (didn't have any challenger due to Dortmund's suffering from injuries), 2013-14 season was an awful of him.
Heynckes proved the team can beat Tiki-Taka by 7-0 and Guardiola switched back to Tiki-Taka and got beaten by 0-5.
Germany won the World Cup by playing like Heynckes' Bayern. If he keeps insisting on Tiki-Taka, I'll doubt his mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts