Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12292003/business/14640.htm

This is an article from the New York Post that appeared last week. In it the author christopher byron goes on a tirade against GTA, calling it worse than what Jackson did and linking it to causing real-life violence.

Maybe someone should have told the author that violence already existed long before GTA was ever made. And if playing computer games is worse than commiting real-life crimes, then maybe mr. byron should try getting shot in GTA and then compare it to the real thing. I'm sure a midnight stroll through NY will make him wish he was back in LC.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
I don't play computer games much (except CM), but some years ago I was playing original GTA quite a lot on my old computer.I didn't really bothered to complete the missions, instead I just drove along and murdered people ( I especially liked to blow up school buses).I was fun at first, but became boring after a while.So I think the morale is: mindless violence is fun at first, but gets boring sooner or later.And cops always get you.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
First of all, I doubt Michael Jackson has sex with children. Seconly, even if he did, running people over and blowing up buildings full of people is worse in real life, but in a game its just fun. Nobody who plays GTA gets given real murderous ideas or anything apart from a good laugh.

Comparing the rape of a child to playing an action video-game just shows what a retard that guy is. :rolleyes: I doubt he would rather "do what Jackson did" than play GTA. :rolleyes: :howler:

In Tennessee last summer a motorist was killed and his passenger wounded when two boys - aged 14 and 16 - played "Grand Theft Auto" and then decided to go out and take sniper shots at cars, just like in the game.
You are completely mature over violence at 14 years old. You know the dangers and are aware of the problems it causes, so I doubt a couple of teenagers saw something on GTA and decided to do it for real. If its true however, they must be a little ill, so they would have become killers anyway in my opinion.

Maturely speaking, the game is a very bad influence to people. But as a gamer, its a great series. Keep em coming, Take-Two!

:D

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
According to this guy, playing at gang violence in GTA is as bad as molesting 70,000 little boys. (Jackson has been charged on 7 counts) Unfortunately the media only focuses on the bad side of gaming, as it is what gets ratings.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Read this article, and it's quite possibly the biggest pile of tripe I've EVER read from a journalist, bar NONE!

Not going to pass comment, other than everything he says is complete rubbish, and is full of sickening levels of PC induced rot.

Doesn't deserve a full comment, IMO, best ignored

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Boyo said:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12292003/business/14640.htm

This is an article from the New York Post that appeared last week. In it the author christopher byron goes on a tirade against GTA, calling it worse than what Jackson did and linking it to causing real-life violence.

Maybe someone should have told the author that violence already existed long before GTA was ever made. And if playing computer games is worse than commiting real-life crimes, then maybe mr. byron should try getting shot in GTA and then compare it to the real thing. I'm sure a midnight stroll through NY will make him wish he was back in LC.
:howler: :howler: :howler:
you are so right!!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Heck, even I don't have a problem with GTA, despite my rants about censorship. It's clearly tongue-in-cheek. However, the certificate has to be recognised. In the UK, no-one under 18 is allowed to purchase or otherwise obtain GTA (GTA3 and VC, at least), and that law has to be enforced.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The funny thing is that in GTA3, if you listen to Chatterbox, there is actually a call by a listener who complains about how video games have a bad influence on her kids. :D

Lazlow: “Okay, and speaking of impossible, Jane from Cedar Grove is on the line, and she wants to talk about how difficult it is being a parent today. Hello Jane…”

Jane: “Hi Lazlow, I love the show, I’m a first time caller. I wanted to say something about these videogames, they are warping our kids minds. My sons dog, Bugle, got hit by a truck, and he says ‘Mummy, mummy, where’s the reset button?.’ Kids these days, they think life is a game. Well it’s not a game Lazlow. It is very, very serious. I let my kid play video games, and now, he runs around the house looking for gold coins. This is teaching our children to go chase money. My eldest has been playing this new videogame, called Pogo the Monkey…”

Lazlow: “Yeah, I’ve heard of that one…”

Jane: “The shop teacher called me today, and Sam made a home-made banana cannon in shop class, and was lobbing them across the street at a fast-food restaurant. And it’s all because of videogames. Lazlow…life does not have a reset button!”

Lazlow: “Right, but this show does…” *beeeeep* “I love that button.”

;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
It's the usual bullshit. People, especially parents, don't want to take responsibility, so they look for easy targets such as media violence.

If parents use movies, video games, and other forms of entertainment, as a means of babysitting their children and as a substitute for parenting, then of course there will be problems. But whose fault is that?

If a child is never taught to differentiate between fact and fiction, then of course there will be problems. But whose fault is that?

If a child is never taught the proper problem solving techniques, then of course there will be problems. But whose fault is that?

It is not the fault of the video games, or of violence in any other form of entertainment. Millions of children are exposed to such violence, yet very few have trouble coping with it. Yet it is the ones that do have such troubles that we hear about, because it is so convenient for lazy-ass parents, attention-starved "experts", and self-serving special interest groups to target media violence.

Example: in the case of Columbine, the two nutjobs were unable to deal wth being bullied, but nobody took them serious when they sought help. The two wrote violent essays in class, yet nobody took them serious. The two told other students about their plans, yet nobody took them serious. Their shit-for-brains parents didn't notice the bombs they were building in their rooms and garages. The two even carried sawed-off shotguns in front of their parents because they couldn't believe just how clueless, or perhaps careless, their parents were. Their over-the-top interest in firearms (which symbolized a need for control and power), in Doom (which symbolized a way of solving problems), and Hitler (which symbolized a desire to get even with those who "wronged" them) should have provided an insight into the psyche. However, barely had the shootings stopped, and "experts" and special interests groups queued up to run their mouths off on news television. The guns made them do it, argued the anti-gun lobby. The video game made them do it, argued the self-crowned "experts." Of course nobody argued that Hitler made them do it, because nobody would have been able to profit from such an accusation. The fact that the parents failed to do their job, and in this case, the fact that also the school system failed to do its job, was irrelevant for everybody. "Oh, but we just did not see it coming..."

Bullshit.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I played GTA 3 and my Bro actually finished the game, and we both agree that its better than those 100,000 kids we raped.
:D :D :D :rollani: :rollani:

I loved the Drive By Shootings!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tim said:
It's the usual bullshit. People, especially parents, don't want to take responsibility, so they look for easy targets such as media violence.

If parents use movies, video games, and other forms of entertainment, as a means of babysitting their children and as a substitute for parenting, then of course there will be problems. But whose fault is that?
This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time - probably because I wholeheartedly agree with it. ;)

Computer games and films are blamed WAY too often, the parents MUST take more responsibility. I enjoy loads of violent computer games and movies but does that mean I want to shoot my peers?

No. Because I've been raised properly...:D

Never thought I'd say this but nice job, mom and dad!

Jay.

M

·
0 Posts
Boyo said:
The funny thing is that in GTA3, if you listen to Chatterbox, there is actually a call by a listener who complains about how video games have a bad influence on her kids. :D

Lazlow: “Okay, and speaking of impossible, Jane from Cedar Grove is on the line, and she wants to talk about how difficult it is being a parent today. Hello Jane…”

Jane: “Hi Lazlow, I love the show, I’m a first time caller. I wanted to say something about these video games, they are warping our kids minds. My sons dog, Bugle, got hit by a truck, and he says ‘Mummy, mummy, where’s the reset button?.’ Kids these days, they think life is a game. Well it’s not a game Lazlow. It is very, very serious. I let my kid play video games, and now, he runs around the house looking for gold coins. This is teaching our children to go chase money. My eldest has been playing this new video game, called Pogo the Monkey…”

Lazlow: “Yeah, I’ve heard of that one…”

Jane: “The shop teacher called me today, and Sam made a home-made banana cannon in shop class, and was lobbing them across the street at a fast-food restaurant. And it’s all because of video games. Lazlow…life does not have a reset button!”

Lazlow: “Right, but this show does…” *beeeeep* “I love that button.”

;)
Hahahaha that radio station is quality. Especially when they start discussing, "Fernando's New Beginnings". :D

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I remember when they where blaming roleplaying games... Tim said it all, I seen this discussion many times and about different things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts