Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Groups announced for Champions Trophy

April 2, 2006

England, India and Australia will face each other in the Champions Trophy, in India, during October. The groups were announced by Ehsan Mani, the president of the ICC, at a press conference in Goa.

The groupings were decided by the current one-day rankings table, which has Australia first, India third and England sixth. They form group A and will be joined by one of the teams from the qualifying tournament which consists of West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

The second qualifier who makes it through will join Pakistan, South Africa and New Zealand in group B for the tournament. The competition is scheduled to start on October 7, with the qualifying matches, finishing on November 5 and includes 22 matches in 21 days.

There are still some issues to sort out regarding the event, but the ICC are hopeful everything will be finalised in the next two weeks. As yet there is still no decision on how many venues will be used, with the BCCI requesting an increase from three to four. They have proposed Mohali, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, and the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai as the locations.

source

Should be a cracker. Man, Group A is some luck of the draw.
England should have picked up form till then with both Tresco, Simon Jones, Harmison back under the leadership of Freddie.
Btw has anyone played stickcricket? Here

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Trust me, there's is good reason why England are in with Australia and India. It's because we're not very good. :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know they decided these groups by the rankings which keep changing every match. You never know how well the teams will play at a future point.
So basically if India and Australia are in a mess and England are playing like Gods, then it is a waste of a group. They should just wait till two days before the tournament and pick out knockout draws.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Except Mohali no Test Venues for the Champions trophy,pretty sad man.Yeah man,was reading up a lill and thinking a lill abt the Communists and felt a liking.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai is a fabulous venue. It was Mumbai's first test venue. Thousands times better than that shitty stadium down the road - Wankhede.
And it should be fun watching one-dayers there. the seats are much closer to the ground.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adriano said:
You'd hope it would be wouldn't you
Well I don't quite know what you mean (pls explain if i got it wrong)but having stayed here for twenty three years and having watched pretty much every intl match that has taken place here, it would be more than fair to say that Wankhede is a dump. The seating is awful. The ground is rougher than most others in the world, which stake a claim as a major test venue.

The Brabourne was the original test venue in Mumbai and rightly so. The grass is better, the seats are better and the Cricket Club of India which manages the ground handles its finances in a better way for useful purposes. I think anyone who has played cricket in this city will agree with me on this. The Brabourne has better facilities for the players to relax after the game before heading off to their hotel rooms, it has a neat swimming pool (standard in most countries but not India), a great gym and a nice clubhouse with impeccable ambience.
If you have seen both stadiums you would know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts