Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts

STARTING XI

Nick Rimando, Juanfran, João Miranda, Neven Subotić, Filipe Luís, Xabi Alonso, Arturo Vidal, Yaya Touré, Edinson Cavani, Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry.

FORMATION

TACTICS

We will play the standard 4-3-3 formation. Nick Rimando, MLS' best is the goalkeeper here. Juanfran and Filipe Luís are thw full-backs who will overlap regularly and provide width down the flanks. João Miranda and Neven Subotić form the central defence.

The midfield comprises of Xabi Alonso, Arturo Vidal and Yaya Touré. Xabi Alonso will play as a holding midfielder, who would sit infront of the defence and at the same time, control the tempo of the game. Arturo Vidal will play as a balanced box-box midfielder like he does for Juventus. He would contribute defensively but would also make plenty of attacking runs into the box. Yaya Touré though, would have completely freedom to attack and combine with the front two. His link-up play, creativity and goals would be key, especially since he would have more freedom to play his natural attacking role.

Thierry Henry leads the line with Edinson Cavani and Cristiano Ronaldo playing as wing-forwards. Cristiano Ronaldo would play in his left-wing-forward role like he did for Real Madrid from 2009 to 2013. Edinson Cavani will play as a right-wing-forward like he did for PSG last season. Here, he has the license to drift in and get involed in the link-up play. At the same time, Cavani's hold-up play is absolutely vital in terms of brining the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Arturo Vidal and Yaya Touré into the game.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Can't see anything but a win for der Kaiser here. His midfield dominates and despite the questions his side poses defensively, cumi's team won't get van Persie enough service to make a difference. Again, Ronaldo likes to beat up against the weaker sides.

der Kaiser 4 (Ronaldo, Vidal, Ronaldo, Ronaldo) - cumi2got 0

·
D10S
2,209 Posts
Neville Wears Prada, Matchday 1

Strategy / team philosophy
Ronaldo and Henry will have clash of importance as both of them likes to attack from the left wing.
Phil Jones will be the defensive cover for Ronaldo.
Verratti will marking Henry when necessary.
As the opponent have no real playmaker, (Yaya is a combo midfielder), Lahm would easily dominate the midfield.
Benzema will play support to RVP in the front line, while Pedro will be the main threat from the wings.

Shaqiri will come on second half and haunt whatever left of Der Kaiser's team.

Team strengths
Lahm

Player profiles

Set–piece takers / captain
RVP (dead balls)
Lahm (C)

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
I don't rate Verratti, and Lallana is Lallana. Even though Toure and Vidal haven't been in form, DK wins the midfield battle.

cumi has Kompany and Lahm in front of him, and DK has Henry, but I can see DK easily putting two past cumi.

cumi should dominate his left flank in DK's half, and that should result in a goal. Cumi would've put another one past Rimando had it not been for DK's midfield.

DK 2-1 cumi

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
I said "cumi should dominate his left flank in DK's half." It's Benzema + Digne vs Juanfran. I don't see a down arrow on Cavani. We can neglect Digne. Benzema vs Juanfran is enough.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lol. Cavani tracks back a lot. Even when he plays as a striker, his work-rate is amazing. He does the same for PSG when he plays as a wing-forward. Benzema is ace and would pose a threat to Juanfran but so would Cavani on the other end and Juanfran is a much better full-back than Digne now. You think Digne would be able to deal against Cavani better than Juanfran, who was the best RB in Europe last season, would be able to against Benzema?

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
You seem to have trouble reading. I already underlined "in DK's half" for you. Now, I'll quote myself again and underline this: "I don't see a down arrow on Cavani." I don't see anywhere in your write-up about Cavani tracking back either.

Cavani is a much more direct player than Benzema, who is a better dribbler. And Juanfran was the best RB in Europe last season according to you and who else. Your FBs worked well in the Atletico system with those players, tactics and coach. Take them out of Atletico, and they're slightly above average defenders at best. You're already seeing proof of that with Filipe, and he was better than Juanfran. Miranda is decent but is no top defender either, and Subotic has been absolutely awful this season. It's actually closer to 2-2 than 3-1.

I'm always open to giving explanations for my scores or comments, and I'm even open to changing the scores if I overlook something. And I enjoy the discussions. But try to ask normally and not open with lol's and howlers and sound like you got violated.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You seem to have trouble reading. I already underlined "in DK's half" for you. Now, I'll quote myself again and underline this: "I don't see a down arrow on Cavani." I don't see anywhere in your write-up about Cavani tracking back either.
Because, I thought it would be expected. The arrows are only for the attacking movements otherwise, it would ba total cluster**** with plenty of arrows.

And Juanfran was the best RB in Europe last season according to you and who else. Your FBs worked well in the Atletico system with those players, tactics and coach. Take them out of Atletico, and they're slightly above average defenders at best. You're already seeing proof of that with Filipe, and he was better than Juanfran. Miranda is decent but is no top defender either, and Subotic has been absolutely awful this season. It's actually closer to 2-2 than 3-1.
So, tell me which RB was better than Juanfran last season? I am all ears.

And, Seriously. You are giving Filipe Luis' example? The same player you tried to buy? Anyway, just because Mourinho doesn't start him regularly now, doesn't mean he isn't a very good full-back. Mourinho did the same with Mata, who was Chelsea's best players for two seasons. Even last season, he phased in Azpilicueta slowly and it was only in the second half of the season, we got to see the best of him. He is doing the same with Filipe Luis this time.

Lastly, The point about "Take them out of Atletico's system and they would be above average" is hilarious. That is like me saying "Take Barzagli out of the slow Serie-A and he is average like he was with Wolfsburg".

I'm always open to giving explanations for my scores or comments, and I'm even open to changing the scores if I overlook something. And I enjoy the discussions. But try to ask normally and not open with lol's and howlers and sound like you got violated.
Geez. How am I the one who felt violated? Its just smileys and acronyms, dude. Relax.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Because, I thought it would be expected. The arrows are only for the attacking movements otherwise, it would ba total cluster**** with plenty of arrows.
So, you're bothered because I can't read minds and can't view invisible arrows or words. OK.

And I'll quote myself and underline what I wrote for the third time: "I don't see anywhere in your write-up about Cavani tracking back either."

If everything is expected, then I guess there's no need for write-ups. Since we all have the same tactical acumen, opinions, and preference for soccer.

So, tell me which RB was better than Juanfran last season? I am all ears.
You must be having a laugh. This is almost as bad as Blau claiming Kurawza is the third-best LB in the world, and this is worse than you finding the existing rules of picking players from eliminated teams fair all of a sudden after figuring out that one of Odiseo and I will be screwed.

And, Seriously. You are giving Filipe Luis' example? The same player you tried to buy?
I didn't want to sign Filipe because I confused him with David Alaba. I wanted to sign him because Alaba and other LBs weren't available. And I was desperately trying to increase the size of the squad, which was very small, by offering cash for players. And at that time, I wanted two sets of FBs because when you replace a FB with an inferior one, it doesn't drop the quality of your starting XI by much (not as much as other outfield positions). And I wasn't sure whether Mathieu will end up playing as a LB or a CB for me. And I wanted the other LB to play a more lateral role, hence I wanted to sign Filipe and signed Maxwell, who's on the same level as Filipe, meaning he isn't any better than alright.

I must also think Mutu and Lucas Silva are excellent players because I signed them. Ditto for you with Henry, Rimando, Gurpegi and Weligton Oliveira.

Anyway, just because Mourinho doesn't start him regularly now, doesn't mean he isn't a very good full-back. Mourinho did the same with Mata, who was Chelsea's best players for two seasons. Even last season, he phased in Azpilicueta slowly and it was only in the second half of the season, we got to see the best of him. He is doing the same with Filipe Luis this time.
:D

Azpilicueta wasn't brought in as the starting LB. He was in the squad as the backup RB. Cole was poor last season, so Mourinho tried Azpi at LB, he did OK, and then was the starting LB.

Filipe was brought in as the LB starter. He doesn't start because he isn't good enough. And that's not all that surprising.

Nice try.

Mata is distinctly average these days and has been for a while now. It's almost 2015. Time to keep up with the times.

Lastly, The point about "Take them out of Atletico's system and they would be above average" is hilarious. That is like me saying "Take Barzagli out of the slow Serie-A and he is average like he was with Wolfsburg".
That makes no sense. I can see Barzagli being class irrespective of the opposition, in or outside of Serie A. I can see Godin being the only Atletico defender of this and last season having class irrespective of the opponents. But I know that some fans can only evaluate players based on level of opposition, number of trophies, and reputation.

·
Registered
825 Posts
So, you're bothered because I can't read minds and can't view invisible arrows or words. OK.

And I'll quote myself and underline what I wrote for the third time: "I don't see anywhere in your write-up about Cavani tracking back either."

If everything is expected, then I guess there's no need for write-ups. Since we all have the same tactical acumen, opinions, and preference for soccer.
No. But since you are a Juve fan and a Serie-A watcher, I expected you to know about Cavani's work-rate. However, fair enough. I accept, it was my fault. I should now give full details about everything they do and not leave it to be judged on their reputation.

You must be having a laugh. This is almost as bad as Blau claiming Kurawza is the third-best LB in the world, and this is worse than you finding the existing rules of picking players from eliminated teams fair all of a sudden after figuring out that one of Odiseo and I will be screwed.
Nice way to dodge the question. You still didn't say which RB was better than him last season! :)

And, where the **** did I say the current set of rules were fair? I knew about the rules of one more team from Group A or Group B since the start. I never mentioned it because it wasn't my Group. But, since you said its not that big of an issue for three of us in Group C to pick from the two eliminated teams is when I brought up the other because I wanted to know what you felt about it.

And BTW, regarding Kurzawa, Blau was right to an extent. If we simply consider the form during this season, then, Kurzawa has been one of the best LBs in Europe. But, obviously its a very small sample.

I didn't want to sign Filipe because I confused him with David Alaba. I wanted to sign him because Alaba and other LBs weren't available. And I was desperately trying to increase the size of the squad, which was very small, by offering cash for players. And at that time, I wanted two sets of FBs because when you replace a FB with an inferior one, it doesn't drop the quality of your starting XI by much (not as much as other outfield positions). And I wasn't sure whether Mathieu will end up playing as a LB or a CB for me. And I wanted the other LB to play a more lateral role, hence I wanted to sign Filipe and signed Maxwell, who's on the same level as Filipe, meaning he isn't any better than alright.

I must also think Mutu and Lucas Silva are excellent players because I signed them. Ditto for you with Henry, Rimando, Gurpegi and Weligton Oliveira.
Maxwell and Filipe Luis are of same quality. Sure, man. Sure. :howler:

Just for the record, I never said Filipe Luis is as good as Alaba. :)

:D

Azpilicueta wasn't brought in as the starting LB. He was in the squad as the backup RB. Cole was poor last season, so Mourinho tried Azpi at LB, he did OK, and then was the starting LB.

Filipe was brought in as the LB starter. He doesn't start because he isn't good enough. And that's not all that surprising.

Nice try.

Mata is distinctly average these days and has been for a while now. It's almost 2015. Time to keep up with the times.
Mourinho doesn't start Filipe Luis because he doesn't want to tinker with his back four which worked so well for him last season. He will slowly phase him in. Obviously, he hasn't gone straight into the starting eleven like Diego Costa and Fabregas, but that isn't becase he isn't good enough. That is because, both the positions Costa and Fabregas play needed major upgrade from last season unlike LB where Azpi was really solid.

I was talking about Mata in 2013, just few months, after he was voted Chelsea's player of the year for the second consecutive year! :)

That makes no sense. I can see Barzagli being class irrespective of the opposition, in or outside of Serie A. I can see Godin being the only Atletico defender of this and last season having class irrespective of the opponents. But I know that some fans can only evaluate players based on level of opposition, number of trophies, and reputation.
You are right. That makes no sense. Which is what I was trying to potray with my post when you said, those Atletico players would look above average in other teams. Miranda and all, like Barzagli would do well in any system or league because they are very good CBs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts