Xtratime Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
LOL...This has to be one of the "dreamest" statements of the year. Dude, the U.S does NOT win any battle against Nigeria, Nigeria will EAT up the U.S.A team any day. Have you seen the Nigerian Midfield? Adu and Edu (who coincidentally is born to Nigerian parents) do not stand a chance. Just pray Nigeria has a off day. Underestimate them at your own naiveness. The Dutch and Nigeria will go through to the next round.

Chance for Bradley to impress then in order to get his desired move to the premiership. So far no one's made a bid lol despite him publicly stating he's off this summer

First game of the tournament on Thursday will obviously be important for us. Our midfield should however win the battle against the Nigerians.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
LOL...This has to be one of the "dreamest" statements of the year. Dude, the U.S does NOT win any battle against Nigeria, Nigeria will EAT up the U.S.A team any day. Have you seen the Nigerian Midfield? Adu and Edu (who coincidentally is born to Nigerian parents) do not stand a chance. Just pray Nigeria has a off day. Underestimate them at your own naiveness. The Dutch and Nigeria will go through to the next round.
Wally is talking about the Netherlands not the U.S.A and the Netherland will most certainly win the midfield battle against Nigeria.

LOL at you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, I see, here comes Mr Wally's bodyguard who speaks for Wally. Now the the Netherlands Vs Nigeria's game is over. It's obvious to see who won the midfield battle. Ryan and Makaay were rendered useless. Drenthe did good but not productive.

Obviously, you must be a kid otherwise, you would understand via history that this same Nigerian team has at least 50% of the 2005 U-20 Silver Winning group which actually KNOCKED out the Dutch team at home. You can play stupid all you want but anyone who knows anything about football will know that Nigeria is a big soccer nation and will generally do well in any competition. :howler::howler:

Wally is talking about the Netherlands not the U.S.A and the Netherland will most certainly win the midfield battle against Nigeria.

LOL at you.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hey I ain't American :D

that this same Nigerian team has at least 50% of the 2005 U-20 Silver Winning group which actually KNOCKED out the Dutch team at home
on penalties after 24 penalties were taken lol

Nigeria did well and we were lucky not to come away with a loss based on the 2nd half. Our goalie was our best player which says all.

However under Foppe de Haan, in our back to back European u21 championship wins, unlike our big boys, we've been notable slow starters. In the first game in the first championship we looked absolutely hopeless in the first game against Ukraine losing 0-2 before later turning it on after meeting Italy and France to then in the final beat the same Ukraine 3-0.
Hopefully the same will happen here...maybe not...but I definitely have more confidence in Foppe than I ever had under v Basten for example.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wally, I am not denying the fact that Holland plays good football. Actually, I have always liked Holland cos you guys but I can't seem to understand why you guys always self destruct just like the Nigerians LOL.

In the 2005 WYC, Holland was supposed to walk all over Nigeria but we saw what happened. Your players were neutralised by the Nigerians and your goal keeper had to come up with some magnificent saves. You say your players "did not play well" I say "your players were outplayed by the Nigerians. Give credit where it's due. Yesterday's olympic match, the Nigerians were the better team because they played better not because Holland had a bad day.

What I have a problem with is that MOST Europeans and Americans seem to ignore the Africans teams when it's been proven countless number of times in International competitions that most African teams (especially Cameroon and Nigeria) always go far in international football.

Don't forget 2 of the last 3 Olympics gold was won by Nigeria and Cameroon. To discount the African teams will be stupid and naive. I bet you didn't know that this Nigerian Olympic teams has not lost in 12 straight games even though it's playing without Mikel Obi and Taiye Taiwo?
The way I see it, Holland and Nigeria will make it to the next round but I repeat, underestimate Nigeria at your own risk in this competition.

hey I ain't American :D

on penalties after 24 penalties were taken lol

Nigeria did well and we were lucky not to come away with a loss based on the 2nd half. Our goalie was our best player which says all.

However under Foppe de Haan, in our back to back European u21 championship wins, unlike our big boys, we've been notable slow starters. In the first game in the first championship we looked absolutely hopeless in the first game against Ukraine losing 0-2 before later turning it on after meeting Italy and France to then in the final beat the same Ukraine 3-0.
Hopefully the same will happen here...maybe not...but I definitely have more confidence in Foppe than I ever had under v Basten for example.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bet you didn't know that this Nigerian Olympic teams has not lost in 12 straight games even though it's playing without Mikel Obi and Taiye Taiwo?
Nah I didn't.
Guess the underestimation has to do with no African sides yet reaching the semi finals or finals of the world cup. For example Nigeria in the 2002 world cup were just so disappointing when things were expected in that group of death and then no qualification for 2006.

Would definitely love to see a Nigeria or Ivory Coast do well and even better in the future...who can forget the way Nigeria stormed onto the world scene in '94 and then that screamer from Oliseh in '98 & then concerning the Ivory Coast, the Kalou brothers with their at times just crazy trickery which we've been lucky to witness at Feyenoord.

·
Registered
69,199 Posts
USA were too sloppy, poor passing but the Japanese did not have enough quality to trouble the goalkeeper at all, the Dutch do, so the US have to pick up their game.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Believe it or not, Holland has always been my favourite European team because of the flair and quality of players right from Youth up to Senior level. My favourites players have been either the Van Bastens, Edgar Davids, Seedorf, Van Persey etc. If only Holland can just get it together, mine oh mine. I patiently await the day Holland will consistently rule the Euros.

I followed the European U21s tournament and ofcourse I was glad to see Holland win back to back! This past Euros, I was rooting for Holland all the way (as usual) but let's hope for a better showing next Euros.

Nah I didn't.
Guess the underestimation has to do with no African sides yet reaching the semi finals or finals of the world cup. For example Nigeria in the 2002 world cup were just so disappointing when things were expected in that group of death and then no qualification for 2006.

Would definitely love to see a Nigeria or Ivory Coast do well and even better in the future...who can forget the way Nigeria stormed onto the world scene in '94 and then that screamer from Oliseh in '98 & then concerning the Ivory Coast, the Kalou brothers with their at times just crazy trickery which we've been lucky to witness at Feyenoord.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can't afford to lose later against the US

Nigeria cruising it against Japan :shades: 2-0 right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nigeria beat Japan 2-1 but almost self-destructed as usual. Too inconsistent play from them and the victory was not impressive though their goals were.:rolleyes:

I would expect the Dutch team to beat U.S.A at least 2-1 because goals difference may be a deciding factor on which team makes it to the Q-Finals.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69,199 Posts
Holland scores a late equalizer from a free kick, unfortunate but I never like playing bunker like USA did in the final 10 minutes, though they did have a one on one chance five minutes before the end of the match which Holden shot wide

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
First half hour was good from us. After that.....

Sibon of all people having to rescue us.

I wonder what'll happen now. What if the US and Nigeria draw & we beat Japan?
goal difference? results against each other?
another Sweden-Denmark on the cards lol? (it'd have to be 3-3 now though)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Well, with a lot of luck we made it...

But hey, better play bad in the groupstages than in the knockout rounds.

Now Argentina will be our next victim... but I'm afraid it will be our last match.

Although our record vs Argentina is quite good, so we have a little chance.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Shame Nigeria didn't let the US score the equalizer.

Appalling performance from us once again. Got to give credit to the Japanese though for giving it their all despite already being knocked out. Now that's what you call passion.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Nigeria does have a really good team but they'll definitely fall on their goalkeeper. He doesn't know anything about positioning and usually just goes out to knock down his opponents, that's what he did today and they nearly drew USA who were horrendous besides when Charlie Davies came on and started to open up Nigerias defence.

Nigeria played great during the first 65-70 minutes though and should've cruised to a win, but instead their goalkeeper almost screwed them over, luckily the US only had a header in the bar, only.. :howler:

Obinna is looking great, the same goes for Isaac and pretty much all their attacking players :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nigeria, just like the Dutch almost self-destructed again. What a finish for both the Nigerian and Dutch team. Now the real test begins. Netherlands Vs Argentina; Nigeria Vs Cote D'Voire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2008 Olympics Football (Soccer) Quarter Finals Results: Nigeria 2-0 CIV.

I hope you guys remember what I said earlier about the Nigerian team. They are dangerous and can beat any team on any given day (that's if they don't self-destruct, of course). Maybe the folks on this forum are too young to understand the International history of Nigerian team. Hope you guys don't underrate them anymore.:thumbsup:

Belgium Vs Nigeria is next for the Semi-Finals. May the best team win.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts