Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After claims by Anelka that Raith Rovers would be the third force in Scottish football fell flat on it's face and the yet unproven but equally funny claims by Romanov that Hearts ambition is to win the league, I may regret that one, I wondered what people thought of Gretna's claims. Colin Carter, the club's general manager, thinks the club could be in the SPL in a few years time despite being in the third division. I though think these claims are the most realistic of the 3.

Gretna has a population of 2,705 yet in a recent game against Peterhead at home a record-breaking 2,200 crowd watched them go top of the league. That's nearly double some of the crowds Inverness have been getting. They have plans to build a 6,000-seat stadium in the village in preparation for the SPL and are backed by Brookes Mileson who sold to of his companies recently for £46m and has more in reserve.

They are obviously ambitious and have already attracted a number of players who would be regarded SPL quality, if only the lower realms of the SPL. Players like Bingham and Main chose the third division side over higher division sides and it's obviously paying dividends now. With Peterhead they are running away with the league currently with double the amount of points as Montrose in 3rd place. They could clinch promotion very early and probably earlier than any other side in the UK. They have been doing it in style though racking up an amazing 65 goals in 17 matches so far this season which included a 8-0 win away to Cowdenbeath and a 8-1 against East Stirling.

Their prolific strike partnership of Kenny Deuchar (19) and David Bingham (16) has yielded 35 goals this season already.

SPL team or not, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Gretna will be in the SPL soon enough. I've been looking at their scores every week, and they're far too good for everyone except Peterhead. There have been a few teams recently that have won consecutive promotions, and I can see Gretna joining that group. Where these teams usually falter, though, is when they make it to the SPL. Suddenly the crowds begin to dwindle as the supporters realise they can't really progress any more. They find that they're not going to achieve better than a mid-table finish, Livingston being the one-off exception I think.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Is it THAT Gretna, the wedding paradise???

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viola said:
Is it THAT Gretna, the wedding paradise???
Yes, the very same Gretna. Their badge has the anvil in it.

They were playing in the English Unibond League but when the arse fell out of Airdrieonians and Clydebank were re-invented as Airdrie United Gretna were accepted into the league.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Paradise? Gretna? I suppose it's just part of the Scottish tradition of calling any old midden paradise...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Angle_eyes said:
Paradise? Gretna? I suppose it's just part of the Scottish tradition of calling any old midden paradise...
Oh that'll get a few heckles up. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Gretna will be in the SPL within the next 3 seasons. They've got the money and made some good signings that has made a team that could easily challenge for promotion in the First Division.

Although the one thing I hate about Gretna is they lost me £45,000 when I put a coupon on and they were the only team not to win (out of 23 other games)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a sore one. Almost as sore as my comment in the first post about Hearts- that's going to come back to haunt me. :)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
danny_vanquish said:
Gretna will be in the SPL within the next 3 seasons. They've got the money and made some good signings that has made a team that could easily challenge for promotion in the First Division.

Although the one thing I hate about Gretna is they lost me £45,000 when I put a coupon on and they were the only team not to win (out of 23 other games)
That's a nightmare!!! It's probably the only league match they haven't won in the last 2 years. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know those bastards lost me £45k but I still like watching them slice and dice each team they come up against. I saw the highlights of a cup game last season which ended Gretna 3-4 Dundee United and I thought Gretna looked good and competed with United which is a good omen for them.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw those highlights too, very impressive. It would be good to see the Clyde v Gretna cup game on the TV. I would actually watch that one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Clyde v Gretna will be good. Gretna will beat Clyde even after they beat Celtic, because its 2 lower league teams and I think Gretna have the surprise element over Clyde.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you could be right. The Celtic game was easy for Clyde to get motivated for but Gretna will be a different proposition. It was surprising to read that Gretna rested some of their top players in the last round for their visit to St Johnstone. That must be some form of showboating.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately it's not on the TV so can't be streamed. Sky Sports have the Rangers v Hibs game from that round only.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would have been a cracker to watch. Probably the best game outside the 2 all SPL ties.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Oh that'll get a few heckles up. ;)
I'm gonna start calling you Mystic Chivo. You predict that and 13 months later I get this...

lions67 said:
hehe...... i wont even say anything.
:D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I dont get. Although I'm guessing I'm not suposed to.

Rather mystical indeed

1 - 20 of 37 Posts