Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I just read about it...

It seems to have been the last times fights that's behind this...
He seems to has had problems with Doug Ellis among some...

Villa was going back to good form it seemed...
I wonder who will take over and how this will affect the club...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I know a lass who will be very happy with that. ;)

Seriusly now, who will Villa sign as replacement? George Graham? ;) :D

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Gregory sad this just some days ago:
"If I'm not here in years to come it will be because I've done it my way and my way didn't work.
"I cannot ever walk away from Aston Villa thinking I did it someone else's way because someone else wanted me to do it that way. If it fails then I only have myself to blame."

Apperantly someone didnt want him to do it "his own way"...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com

UPDATE-1-Aston Villa manager Gregory resigns

BIRMINGHAM, England, Jan 24 (Reuters) - John Gregory has resigned as manager of Aston Villa after almost four years in the job, the English premier league club said on Thursday in a statement on their website.

``This arrangement has been dealt with on an amicable basis and the Board wish to place on record their appreciation of John's service during his four years as manager of the club,'' the statement said.

``John has stated that he needs to take a break during which time he will consider his future football career.

``John Deehan and Stuart Gray will take over team management until the Board has considered applicants for the appointment of manager.''

The 47-year-old Gregory is the fifth premier league manager to leave his club this season following Derby County's Jim Smith and Colin Todd, Peter Taylor of Leicester City and Southampton's Gray.

``John's resignation is sad, was most unexpected but has been amicable,'' Villa chairman Doug Ellis said.

``I can understand how John feels regarding his need for a break and this is a reflection on the pressures that managers endure in modern day premier league football.

``I personally wish John and his family well in all they do in the future and he will always be welcome at Villa Park. We will not rush into a replacement appointment as John and Stuart both have previous management experience.''

Gregory, who succeeded Brian Little in February 1998, took Villa to the top of the league in October but the team then suffered a run of one win in 11 games before victories in their last two matches moved them back up to seventh place in the table.

Gregory has had long battles with Ellis over finances, but said this week that the two got on well and that they both had the best interests of the club at heart.

Gregory had talked only on Tuesday about a Champions League place being a realistic aim for Villa this season.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Contrary to popular opinion, I am not actually that happy! I had my many criticisms of JG, but this is not news I welcome! It doesn't matter how we have as manager, we will remain exactly the same until Ellis either goes or funds the team properly!

As to we have next, it has been suggested that Louis van Gaal is to come - but I see this as crap, why would he want to come to a team who has no future?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
van de gaal was linked with Man U... I doubt he will come to the club where he wont have means to tailor the squad to his own liking

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Those are my exact feelings! Ellis will probably give the job to Stuart Gray! :yuck:

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Personally, I think it's been a LONG time coming so nobody should be surprised. Really, as Natalya said, nothing will change as long as the club's management remain unambitious and lacking direction.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Coincidence, Walsall sack there manager ( Ray Graydon )
a former Villa legend, and Gregory walk's away from Villa.
An out side bet I think.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Well it has been revealed that JG had been phoning Derby before resigning! So I guess we know where he is heading next!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Yep, and if we get someone like Grey, then that is our fate for the year afterwards! :(

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Yeah, if we get a crap manager! its nearly happened a few times!

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I have a bad feeling!! :(

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I suspect we'll see swarms of Villa fans protesting outside Capitol and the White House to get international attention! :eek:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I found it disturbing how Ellis claimed that Gregory was drained by coaching and needed some rest away from soccer... that was freakin lame if you ask me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts