9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Est. 1874
Stadium - Cappielow Park, Greenock
Capacity - 11612 (seated 5741)

Bank Balance - £243,581
Transfer budget - £100,000

*********​

Greenock Morton chairman Douglas Rae has presented Billy Connolly as the new manager of one of the oldest clubs in Scottish Football.

The new manager was asked what he expects to do with the second division outfit in the coming season.

Its an honour to manage this football club, I dont view this job as a stepping stone to better things, I have a really love for this club and look forward to be taking them back to where they truly belong, the SPL playing in front of the biggest crowds week in week out.

My aim is to win the league this year but its going to be hard.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Connolly highlights ambition

Morton have secured the signature of 34 year old ex. Scottish International Scott Gemmill. He was a free agent and has signed a two year deal with the Greenock Club.

Connolly said at a press conference ...

I am delighted to have Scott onboard. He is a true competitor and brings priceless experience to the training field and match day. I hope he enjoys his stay here and has a lot of success as well

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Yorkshire :thumbsup:

This is the last time I start a new one without working on it a lot. :D

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Connolly brings in fresh faces on loan

With cash being limited and a new manager in place with fresh ideas, Morton have decided to bring in several loan deals until the end of the season.

Michael McGlinchey
From - Celtic
Position - AM LC/F C
Age - 18

Teddy Bjarnason
From - Celtic
Position - MC
Age - 18

Charlie Grant
From - Celtic
Position - DM
Age - 18

Jamie Hamill
From - Kilmarnock
Position - DL
Age - 19

*************​

I am delighted these young prospects have decided to come and help us with our bid for promotion this season. They are some very talented players and they will do their careers no harm by coming to play for Greenock Morton.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Preseason at Morton

With time being spent bring in new faces and an early start to the season with the challenge cup, I was limited to only 3 preseason friendlies against bigger oppositon on two occasions, winning two and losing one.

Brechin 1 - 3 Greenock Morton
Finlayson, McPake, McLaren
MOM - McPake

Greenock Morton 1 - 2 Dunfermline
Lilley
MOM - McPake

Greenock Morton 3 - 1 Hibernian
Lilley x 2, McLaren
MOM - Harding

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Challenge Cup - First Round

Greenock Morton 2 - 1 Peterhead
McPake (pen), Weatherson
MOM - McPake

I am delighted to get my first competitive win under my belt and the team played out their skin today, in all fairness it could have been 5 or 6 but Peterhead defended well.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scottish Second Division - Day 1

Greenock Morton 4 - 0 Forfar
Lilley x 2, Weatherson x 2
MOM - Lilley

The players and fans enjoyed todays performance, the players are not getting complacent but morale in the dressing room is very high.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scottish League Cup - First Round

East Stirling 0 - 2 Greenock Morton
McLaren, McPake
MOM - McPake

Its good to be part of cup football and continuing our winning run away from home is good for the fans, I hope they continue to travel. Our defence showed great resilience today.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scottish Second Division - Day 2

Gretna 2 - 1 Greenock Morton
Lilley

It was a brave performance but the better team on the day won. We had a few chances at the end to level it but we didnt have luck on our side.

*********​

Morton are pleased to confirm the signed of goalkeeper coach David Wylie from Gretna.

Wylie is a Morton legend and played many a year in the Blue and White of Morton. I am delighted he is onboard to pass on his knowledge and experience to the goalkeepers.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Scottish Second Division - Day 3

Greenock Morton 2 - 1 Raith Rovers
Lilley x 2
MOM - Lilley

The side played well and we just wanted to get the points to keep ourselves up with the top of the pack. Lilley is proving class player this season by scoring 5 in 5 so far.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scottish League Cup - Second Round

Greenock Morton 1 - 0 Dundee
Lilley
MOM - Lilley

Today was a good day for Morton, when teams from higher divisions come down to play cup football it usually attracts a big home crowd and the fans certainly had the players fired up today. I hope we get the luck of the draw in the next round.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scottish Second Division - Day 4

Stirling 1 - 4 Greenock Morton
Lilley x 2, McPake, Millar
MOM - Millar

The team were sublime today. It was disappointing that we conceeded such a soft goal in the end but our good form continues.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scottish Challenge Cup - Second Round

Greenock Morton 4 - 0 Cowdenbeath
Millar, Lilley x 2 (pen), McPake
MOM - McPake

We beat the team top of the third division today but most importantly we showed how dangerous we are going foward. We travel to Firhill next to play Partick and that will be a difficult game. As long as we keep our players fit I think we have a good chance.

***********​

Top make events even better, Derek Lilley received Second Division player of the month award.

Lilley has scored 7 goals in 4 league games so far, receiving 2 man of the match awards in the process.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Transfer news

In the last days of the transfer window, Morton also snapped up Man United reserve defender Jonathan Evans. The 18 year old North Irish central defender will play a big part in the team.

*********​

Scottish Second Division - Day 5

Greenock Morton 2 - 0 Ayr
McPake, Millar
MOM - Millar

Chris Millar ran the show today. He created so much and also got on the scoresheet himself. I am delighted with the young lad.

We need to maintain this form and hope that Gretna or Partick drop points along the way but in the meantime we just need to continue winning.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts