Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other in our group (Group 9) are Albania, England, Finland and Germany. The way I see it, taking into account...

a) the fact that in the past 4-5 years, (which is after WC 94, probably the last time you saw us), Greek footballers' level has risen dramatically to an international level (there is for instance, Tsartas with Sevilla, Machlas with Vitesse and Ajax, Dabizas and Georgiades with Newcastle, Zagorakis with Lester, Georgatos with Inter and of course the likes of Choutos, Eleftheropoulos, Lyberopoulos and Nikolaides)
b) The recent performances in friendly matches under probably the best coach in years (V. Daniil)

c) the non-existance of Finnish and Albanian football and the tragic performances of England (which could improve in time, though) and Germany (which stands no chance of improving) at EURO 2000. :eek:

...Greece should have an easy time quallifying for the World Cup. :)

·
International
8,545 Posts
I disagree with that. I think they have a very good chance, but it won't be easy.

Even if a team like Germany isn't very good at the moment, doesn't mean they'll push over. Portugal may have slapped them, but Romania only tied, and England barely won.

The English do have a lot of good youngsters, and they won't be easy to beat.

The Greeks have some work to do themselves. They have to have the right coach to make the players tight as as a unit, if they hope to qualify.

So like I said, it won't be easy.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Easy? NO! but possible...

Daniil may have some succes but I dont feel he is the right man for the job.He doesnt have the mental strength to make these primadonas a team...however,tha talent is there availble and he'll get his chance.The most important of all is to win all our home games.Especially last years we have hd a pretty hrd time with small teams at home.It may sound strange but I think its good there are no Lietuvas or Lithuanias in our group.Greek players often understimate them and these countries speank us with surpsise results.

England is a strong team.They tend to struggle at qualifiers but England is England and they have all the privilages a big team has like refs help and good dates.However,if Poland could beat them,why not Greece?

Germany scares me.If they handt fail so miserable in the euro it would be better because they would stick to the old tried,recipe.They would be beatable.Now,we just dont know the face germany will present...many youngsters will get their chances and this is dangerous.They may become a small team or just blossom...

Finnland is one of the most underrated teams.I hve no doubt that we can beat them but we must try very hard to make it.Litmanen,Hyypia and Co guarantee a hell of a challenge,esepcially in Finnland.Also Greece traditionally screws up with Scandinavian teams because we never had good central defenders for headers.Dabizas is reliable however and Anatolakis great at the air although he sucks overal...

Albania are a big nothing but for some reason they always ply their asses of against us and roll down and die against other teams.Maybe because most of them play here at small clubs and they want to draw attention.

BUT the most important of all is ourselfes.If we become a team,with the right choices of player,we have nothing to be afraid.Till now,we made this only once when we went to the WC with one of our worst and less talented squads ever,but we mde it because they were a TEAM.They were beaten up badly at USA of course but as I said this team had their limits by qualifying...Right now,Daniil has the chance to pick from one of the most talented crops of Greek players ever.Our former U-21 side,second in europe behind only the Spain of Guti and Helguera,are now reaching their potential at the afge of 24-25.

Personally,I really doubt we can become a team and qualify,but if Daniil somehow manages it,you'll see big things from Greece.Not only regarding the qualifiers but at the WC as well...

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
They have a good chance but it wont be easy at all.

England are still very good even though they couldt perform well in Euro2000. They still have a very strong team.

Never underestimate the power of Germans also. They also ddnt perform well but they are always disciplined and very professional. Germany are always a very dangerous side.

I hope you qualify also trkey and we both meet in the final:):) thats not very pessimistic is it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts