Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who is the greatest Russian ever to have graced the beautiful game?

Well, before i would have said Lev Yashin. But Streltsov? I read an article about him and it appears he was the Stanley Matthews of Russian football...

Anyway, any views on who was the greatest??

Cheers
Vata

·
Registered
66,442 Posts
Well I'm obviously too young but I would throw Valery Voronin in there as well. He's generally regarded as the best center-midfielder in Soviet history.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dimitriy! yeah im just reading about him now. Murdered and suffered from alcoholism... Sounds tragic.

·
CULT OF PERSONALITY
21,014 Posts
Voronin is such an underrated player.
Anyways Yashin is obviously the best Russian player, he is after all regarded the greatest goalie of all time and the only goalkeeper to win Ballon Dor. Now if you are asking about outfield player than Voronin for me.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Most of the better soviets of the late 50s-72 are underrated.

You would think Yashin was a one man team sometimes by the way the others are excluded from discussions on excellent players of the era.

They had some really formidable teams.A bit too many quarter final ****ups when they looked the stronger side, but were packed with talent nonetheless.

·
Registered
66,442 Posts
1960's USSR basically had world class players at every position. he end of that era pretty much came in '72 where W. Germany obliterated us at home in the Euro final.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just joined the site.

I'm too young, but hearing for various people that saw him play (my father and my uncle included), Streltsov was the most talented Russian player.

Nearly 1-to-1 goals to games for the NT BEFORE turning 20 is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
66,442 Posts
Voronin is their too, basically USSR's version of Boszik. He was one of the best players in the world in his prime; unfortunately I can't find the USSR-Italy WC '66 game right now where he dominated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts