Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would you say is Leeds' best ever player in the team's history? I don't know a lot of Leeds' history, but I'd say Billy Bremner is definitely up there with the best, being part of the European cup runners up team.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I'm in the situation chris, I mean not comming from England or anything and my whole family opposed to Football. I would say that Billy was one fo the best, if not the best. But there were others and I think our resident lad's from England could maybe shine a light on who they think is the best... :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ooh - tough one, but you have to look back and include the likes of Peter Lorimer (made his debut at the age of 15).. and maybe Norman (bites ya' legs) Hunter - hmm and we wonder where Dirty Dirty Leeds comes from!! :D

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Well, I watched nearly every Leeds match home and away from 1966 to 1985 and would say it's Billy Bremner. The most skilful, though, has to be Eddie Gray. There isn't a winger in today's football who can glide past defenders like Eddie.
People over 45 would probably say John Charles or Bobby Collins but that's even too far back for me.
As for post-Revie players, I'd say the most influential has been Gordon Strachan, and in today's team (but maybe not tomorrow's) I'd go for Lee Bowyer. I'm still mad at UEFA fir suspending him for that match against Valencia.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Bowyer may be leaving soon... but I think as long as he isn't sold, Rio Ferdinand could be one of the best Leeds players ever... but we'll have to wait and see.
Question: did Leeds have any players in the '66 national team??

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Chris
In the World Cup winning team there was Jack Charlton and I'm not sure if Norman Hunter was in the squad. I do know his first cap was in 1966.
cheers

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did Jack Charlton feature prominently in the line up or was he more of a bench player?

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Jack was THE centre half for England, winning 35 caps between 65 and 70. Norman Hunter won 28 but was often the substitute for the great Bobby Moore.
Unfortunately, Norman will be remembered for giving the ball away at Wembley in 1973 and letting Poland score, which meant England would not be going to the finals. He had to listen to "Hunter lost the World Cup" on all English grounds for the rest of his career.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts