Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jardel scored his 41st and 42nd goals of the league season today. Given the fact he missed the first 3 or 4 games of the season (somebody give me the right number) and he was totally out of shape the first couple he played, you have to take his season as simply an absurd display of scoring. Another Sporting player, Yaludze (check spelling, Penguin ;)) scored 47 one year, I believe, but given teh games Jardel missed due to the transfer negotiations with Gala, you have to wonder if the guy wouldn't have broken 50.

Heck, take into account all competitions and the guy has to have close to 55.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I did some checking on the numbers and I was shocked in what I found out. While Jardel scoring 42 goals in 31 league games is extremely impressive in this day and age, it still is not quite a spectacular as Yazalde's 46 goal season. Yazalde scored all 46 goals in only 29 games!! However, the most impressive number has to be that in 1946/47,while playing for Sporting, Fernando Peyroteo scored 43 goals... in 19 games !!!!!!!! That's 2.26 goals per game!!!

Of course, you have to put some historical perspective on these numbers. Defense was an after thought back in those days, the extra games (i.e. UEFA Cup, friendlies, WC qualifers) tend to wear the players down. Also, the league is much more balanced and competitive than it was in 1974, let alone 1947. That 1947 team was head and shoulders above everyone else in Portugal. Had there been a Champion's League back then, we probably would have won a 1 or 2 titles.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
But, if you subtract that total from Joao Pinto's dives that resulted in penalties, Jardel only scored three goals.:D:tongue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts