Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched a tape of the Sporting/Benfica match from 1994 where Benfica won 6-3. That has to be one of the best played games ever! The teams were essentially filled with future all-stars. Other than some great Brazilian performances, I can't member seeing a team pass as well as Sporting did in the first half. I can't believe Sporting didn't win that game, much less the championship. Too bad finances didn't allow that team to stay together longer. With a little seasoning Figo, Sousa, Balakov, Yordanov, Cadete etc. could have serisouly contended for a European championship. Now a days you need three teams in your squad to contend, but that line up was great. I saw Sporting play Porto this year (on tape and we won 2-0) and the play was nothing like what I saw today. What a game!! Too badthe wrong team won!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Please, don't ever, eeeevvvverrrr, bring that game up in this forum!!

I still have nightmares about that game. It was that game, and that one alone that gave JVP his "mystique".

But, yes that was probably the best Sporting team in my lifetime. Don't forget the Russian Cherbakov,who had his career cut short by a paralysing car wreck. He was one hell of a player!

Also, if we had had a guy like Schmeichel in the net on that team, we definitely would have made some huge waves in European Competition,

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I figured it would be a bad memory for most of us, but I was just amazed by the football played in that first half. Sousa was particually impressive. Benfica played well, but I will be hard pressed to forget how well the boys played. The score did not reflect how well our team did that night. Sorry to bring up painful memories, but I just had to speak about the kind of football I saw played. It was so good the outcome is almost left irrelevant. Just to be able to say you saw such a game is special. Amazing, beautiful stuff!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts