Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who you guys felt was the world's greatest player ever and Portugal's greatest ever. Let's assume Eusebio is most people's greatest ever for Portugal. Who would you pick after that? Please answer both parts, world and country.

As for me, world player is Maradona with Pele right behind. To me Maradona could rasie the level of his play and the team's play like no other. He was amazing and needed only a touch in the big games to decide the outcome. Even when old and out of shape he still could inspire like no other. He and Argentina were awesome in '94. If hadn't been expelled I think they would have raised the cup, not Brazil. Without him, they sunk like a stone. Pele was similarly great, but he always had great players around him. He helped found a beautiful system of football, but to me Maradona played by himself. He owned the pitch like no other.

As for Portugal, I'm not as well versed in history. I'll take Figo as the best (ignoring Eusebio). He is awesome and can raise his level and the team's level as well. I think you could put him anywhere from midfield to striker and he'd excell. A strong showing in EC 2000 will cement this choice in my mind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maradona in ´86 years form...I don´t know alot of Portugese players but I think Figo defenitly should be up there....

Forza Lazio !!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
We have had some other players....take for example Colunha from the 66 team. He may be our 2nd best ever, then you also have Futre and Fernando Gomes who were good. The fact of the matter is that Fernando Gomes, Futre, Colunha and so forth were good enough to lead us to the world stage...world cup....whilst Figo has yet to do that...I will say though that if Figo leads us to WC2002 he will be instantly #2 on my list. Also Don't forget Baia. Baia is often called the greatest Portuguese GK ever...so by that classification he may merit the #2 spot behind Eusebio.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How great was Futre? I remember him as the player who hurt his knee and then got transfered a million times to the likes of Milan and Reggiana. I know he was the golden boy of Portuguese soccer at one point. How good was he?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
a pure winner. He was in the team that beat West Germany in a qualifier. the thing about that particular match was that it is and remains the only match that Germany have ever lost at home (in WC Quali and I believe Euro). Then he went on to win the CL with Porto. He was very very very good.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
On the topic of greatest Sporting Player of all time, have any of you ever heard of the "Cinco Violinas" (Five Violins)? That was the nickname of Sporting's forward line back in the 1950s, when they had a string of championships like Porto had (past tense!) in the '90s. Among the violins, were two players in particular: Peyroteo and Travassos. Peyroteo was a big goal scorer, and Travassos is considered the greatest Portuguese Player before Eusebio. Though I never saw him play, my father and uncles swear by him.

Also, I would put in a vote for Morais. He was the player who scored the winning goal in the 1964 Taca das Tacas Final directly off a corner kick!! Also, he is infamously known as the player who injured Pele during the 1966 World Cup

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I heard about the "Cinco Violinas", I never saw them play though. Also another one I forgot about was Matateu.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot his name, but there was somebody with Sporting in the '70s who won the golden boot for Europe. Does anybody remember his name and know anything about him?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I believe you are talking about Yazulde. He was an argentine I believe

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's him. I guess Sporting never had the Portuguese (or Portuguese colony) only rule like Benfica.

You never answered the rest of my initial question, Marcoa. Who do you feel is the world's greatest ever?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
daeone, everyone who follows and understands football would understand that Maradona was a bit better than Pele, but Pele was always claimed the best because of his morals and behaviour, he was not a drug dealer like..... And thats equally important as being talented..

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I think maradona is the best ever...but calling someone the best ever is hard. The title tends to go to more offensive players leaving the defensive players in the dust. With that mentality in mind I will change my pick. I will now call the worlds greatest the ex-USSR goalkeeper Yashin.

[This message has been edited by Marcoa (edited 30-04-2000).]

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No argument there, Sabry. Maradona was the talent to end all talents, but Pele is the greatest sporting ambassador the world has ever had. He's a gentleman and a fierce competitor. I'd take a field of Peles over a field of Maradonas because the Peles would be able to play together and the Maradonas would all be in jail or suspended. Hee Hee!!

Maradona is simply my pick as the greatest talent the game has seen and a great winner of football matches. Pele won on levels that transcended football.

Beckenbauer was pretty damn good and a defender, Marcoa. You could throw him in the mix, too.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Agree daeone, but like Marcoa said, what I hate most about the "Player of the Year Award" is that it is really "Striker of the year award"... Cant Goal keepers and defenders be nominated more frequently ??

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
true, every position is important, but in the end the game is decided by who scores the most goals. The stands are filled by people who want to see goals, not strong defensive play. Tactical soccer is great and defense wins championships, but in the end the goal is what football is all about. People will talk about Maradona's goal vs. England in the '86 WC (the run from mid-line, not the hand ball) for the next hundred years. Few will talk about some great tackle executed by Baresi or Beckenbauer. It's just like how the homerun is the big deal in baseball. People will always remember Babe Ruth, but no one cares about some guy who can turn a great double play. The art of the goal is what makes football so beautiful. Tactics and team play win the championship, but one great moment of divine inspiration will leave you in the people's memories forever. That is why we talk about Pele and Maradona.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
But thats not fair.. I mean who supports the players and sets up the goal ?? Well the finish is important alright but if there was no set up then there would have been no finish ! Of course some goals are an exception like Maradona's and some Ronaldo goals.. But why for example Inzaghi can be called player of the year but not Davids who can set up the goal for him ?? I agree that goals are the most important thing and the thing that counts at the end (plus people rememeber who scored not who passed) but still thats not very fair..

M

·
0 Posts
Without a doubt maradona ! remember when he was playing the best defenders of opponent team used to mark him ,they were kicking,pulling,pushing him every game.but he was unstoppable !
pele and eusebio were great players (who were discussed before in this forum) but in their time..football was so slow and defence was not important.also only the player who had the ball used to run.
figo ! he is a great player ! if he had a bit more pace and more shooting abilities he would be uncompareable.
please if you guys know a little about football don't discuss maradona.because you become so funny.sure i have respect everyone's opinions but if you say he is not the best.so you did not watch him enough!
get some videos (napoli,boca,argentina)

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I have no idea whats wrong with people like Mastino, before suggesting we watch any matches go and read our messages carefully, we both indicated Maradona was much more talented than Pele ...
God, does everyone think he knows more than the others ?

L

·
0 Posts
i find it ludicrous that people here can pronounce that Maradona was better than Pele and the same people say they never say Pele play (apart from a few highlight clips)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts