Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
Ok.. i'm gonna rip this post to shreds for the fun of it.. and just because i haven't done that in a while. Definitely one of those people who just wanted to try and press "New Topic" for a change.

The thought process of the person who typed this post: "I should make a topic more often. why do i always reply to ones already made... hmm the Barca forum gets a lot of visitors.. let me see how many replies i can get"

You call out for the more intelligent Barcelona fans yet your post lacks substance and reeks with ignorance... how do you expect us to take you seriously when you just throw around a bunch of names, comment on a few, leave out greats like Xavi, misspell Koeman, and not know that Ronaldo only spent 1 season with Barca.

you're one of those people who know Rivaldo only for his hattrick, you say Maradona is the best of all time but propose the question of how much he did for Barca, well the same goes for Hagi.. why did you leave him out? That's because you probably heard that same Maradona argument from your local ignorant tv commentator and chose to repeat it here.

Iniesta the best in the world? nobody loves iniesta more than cules but even we wont claim that. what have you been smoking? Oh you're one of those people who saw Iniesta's chelsea goal and chose to randomly appoint him as best in the world simply because you want some attention.. to be different.. or you read some random goal.com article that claims he is the world's best and once again chose to repeat it here.

what the hell is a "Koemen"? plural of Koeman?

"Figo, lol that will draw some negative comments". You're a one phrase to one football player kind of fan, a stereotyping mess who desperately wants to belong to something.. anything.

Rivaldo= Valencia hattrick
Figo= Transfer to Barcelona
Ronaldo= Absolutely phenomenal... phenomenon has been used before.. try creative 101
Messi= 2nd best .. just because i wanna be different
Iniesta= best in the world.. that will get more replies.. controversy will make arguments and my topic will be a success

Ronaldinho puts Messi into the shadow when motivated... dumb statement of the year. Very easy to throw around labels like that because every time Ronaldino plays like shit you can say "oh he wasn't motivated".

and yes there has been a better goal scorer than Etoo in the history books. Try checking them out before you post ignorance.

and why the hell did you thumbup yourself at the end of that post?

here's another one :thumbsup: it's a pity they don't make a smiley of your rear end to shove the thumbsup along with your entire post into.
Your post changed my life.

I wish I could be as talented as you.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Your post changed my life.

I wish I could be as talented as you.
You just have find a way of realising your (intellectual) potential. Maybe Moe will give you some tips, but you have irked him somewhat.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Ok.. i'm gonna rip this post to shreds for the fun of it.. and just because i haven't done that in a while. Definitely one of those people who just wanted to try and press "New Topic" for a change.

The thought process of the person who typed this post: "I should make a topic more often. why do i always reply to ones already made... hmm the Barca forum gets a lot of visitors.. let me see how many replies i can get"

You call out for the more intelligent Barcelona fans yet your post lacks substance and reeks with ignorance... how do you expect us to take you seriously when you just throw around a bunch of names, comment on a few, leave out greats like Xavi, misspell Koeman, and not know that Ronaldo only spent 1 season with Barca.

you're one of those people who know Rivaldo only for his hattrick, you say Maradona is the best of all time but propose the question of how much he did for Barca, well the same goes for Hagi.. why did you leave him out? That's because you probably heard that same Maradona argument from your local ignorant tv commentator and chose to repeat it here.

Iniesta the best in the world? nobody loves iniesta more than cules but even we wont claim that. what have you been smoking? Oh you're one of those people who saw Iniesta's chelsea goal and chose to randomly appoint him as best in the world simply because you want some attention.. to be different.. or you read some random goal.com article that claims he is the world's best and once again chose to repeat it here.

what the hell is a "Koemen"? plural of Koeman?

"Figo, lol that will draw some negative comments". You're a one phrase to one football player kind of fan, a stereotyping mess who desperately wants to belong to something.. anything.

Rivaldo= Valencia hattrick
Figo= Transfer to Barcelona
Ronaldo= Absolutely phenomenal... phenomenon has been used before.. try creative 101
Messi= 2nd best .. just because i wanna be different
Iniesta= best in the world.. that will get more replies.. controversy will make arguments and my topic will be a success

Ronaldinho puts Messi into the shadow when motivated... dumb statement of the year. Very easy to throw around labels like that because every time Ronaldino plays like shit you can say "oh he wasn't motivated".

and yes there has been a better goal scorer than Etoo in the history books. Try checking them out before you post ignorance.

and why the hell did you thumbup yourself at the end of that post?

here's another one :thumbsup: it's a pity they don't make a smiley of your rear end to shove the thumbsup along with your entire post into.
Seeking knowledge is not ignorance!

I asked a question and posed it only to the intelligent Barcelona fans, as I probably know more about Barca than 'not so intelligent' barcelona fans

I dont get any satisfaction from posting and adding to my tally of posts, believe it or not...there is a life outside of the internet, but you probably don't know that

As an outstanding BRITISH (and therefore the best) medical doctor, I have more intelligence in my left foot, than you and your entire inbred family put together!

I stated Iniesta as the best player in the world, months before EXPERTS...FOOTBALL EXPERTS like Gulliem Balague or whatever his name is, started saying the same thing!

Xavi, fair enough :)

Your last comment reeks homosexuality

This foolish net nerd aside

To the rest of the Barcelona community

I didn't come here for coward like 'internet fighting'

I wanted to LEARN about the players from real Barcelona fans

:)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Okay, I think making a ranking would be an error, since we're comparing different eras in football, different moments, different situations.

I am going to post some of the players who were important for us. I fear to miss someone.

In no specific order...

Paulino Alcantara (1912-1927)

Paulino Alcántara (Iloilo, Filipinas, 1896 – Barcelona, 1964) top scorer ever in Barcelona's history, 357 goals in 357 games.

Probably, the first star of the club. He joined us when all the discussion about professionalism and amateur football appeared in scene. He was very popular among the fans and this is why he can be considered the first big star.

At that time, La Liga didn't exist, so football in Spain only had one state competition, the Copa del Rey, the most important trophy at that moment, and then the Copa Catalunya was the other main event.

You can safely say that Paulino Alcantara set the base for the first glorious era, the "Edad de Oro". His main skill was a powerful shot and his nickname "El Romperedes" (The Net Broker). With him, we won 10 Copa Catalunya (1912/13, 15/16, 18/19, 19/20, 20/21, 21/22, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26 and 26/27) and 5 Copas del Rey (1912/13, 19/20, 21/22, 24/25 and 25/26). The 20s were very important for the club, we passed from having 400 socis to nearly 12000, when he retired. He was the the striker of the team of the 20s and the club finally had to build Les Corts due to the high demand to see the team. While the triumphs were falling, Barça battled the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera and our stadium was closed for booing the anthem of Spain in protest against the political situation. He was the leader of a team that had players like Ricardo Zamora or Josep Samitier. As I said, the first big star of the club.

Josep Samitier (1918-1933)

Probably, Josep Samitier (Barcelona 1902 – Barcelona 1972) was the most charismatic and loved by the fans in the Golden Era. The leader of the team and some say that Les Corts were built to see him. He was skillful and his movements a joy to watch. He was known as the Magician. Alcantara scored the goals and Samitier was the heart and the head.

Initially, he was a midfielder, but his goalscoring skills and his talent made him finish as striker. He scored 326 goals in 454 games with the club. Definitely, a man of the club. After he retired, he also was our coach between 1944 and 1947, winning the Liga of 1945 and the Copa Eva Duarte (a kind of Supercopa of that moment). As sport secretary was the responsible of the signing of Ladislau Kubala.

Santiago Bernabeu convinced him to join Madrid in a certain moment, after a war with the people who ran Barcelona. Despite this fact, he is a huge legend of the club, the most representative player of his moment and a figure even after his retirement. There's a street near the Camp Nou with his name and an important blaugrana organization with his name (Forum Samitier).

- Titles:
12 Campeonatos de Catalunya (1918/19, 19/20, 20/21, 21/22, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, 26/27, 27/28, 29/30, 30/31 and 31/32)
5 Campeonatos de España (1919/20, 21/22, 24/25, 25/26 and 27/28)
1 Liga (1928/29)

Cesar Rodriguez (1942-1955)

César (León, 1920 – Barcelona, 1995) is the 3rd top scorer in Barcelona's history, but the top scorer in La Liga playing with Barcelona. Magnificent striker, natural born scorer with an amazing header.

He was the striker in a memorable moment for Barcelona, between the late 40s and the early 50s. He won 5 Ligas (1944/45, 47/48, 48/49, 51/52 and 52/53), 2 Copas Latinas, early European Cup (1949 and 1952); 3 Copas de España (1950/51, 51/52 and 52/53); 1 Copa de Oro (1945) and 3 Copas Eva Duarte (1948, 1952 and 1953). Individually, he won the Pichichi trophy in the 48/49 season, scoring 28 goals in 24 games. 7 consecutive times top scorer of the team, from the 1944-45 to the 1950-51 seasons and essential key of the forward line of the team that won "Les Cinc Copes" (1951-1951). After all, Serrat made a song for them: Basora, César, Kubala, Moreno and Manchón.

More powerful than skillful, but his goals marked an era in Les Corts. He was known as "Pelucas", for his bald head.

Ladislau Kubala (1950-1961)

Kubala (Budapest, Hungría, 1927 – Barcelona, 2002) signed for Barcelona in 1950 after a refugee Hungarian team visted the city, although some bureaucratic stuff delayed his debut 1 year.

Kubala is a mythical figure of the club. The oldest Barça fans, the ones who saw him playing, would never hesitate to say Kubala is the greatest player that Barça ever had. He had a tremendous physical form, he was a magician with the ball in his feet, his vision of the game was superlative and his shots nearly perfect. Aside all this, he was the leader of the greatest Barcelona era up to that moment. These are his honours:

- Games: 345
- Goals: 274
- Titles:
4 Ligas (1951/52, 52/53, 58/59 and 59/60)
1 Copa Latina (1952)
2 Copas de Ferias (1957/58 and 59/60)
5 Copas de España (1950/51, 51/52, 52/53, 56/57 and 58/59)
2 Copas Eva Duarte (1952 and 1953)

As you can see, he was the leader of the most brilliant era of Barcelona in history until that moment. He won the first European titles for us, which helped to make Barcelona get the respect of the World in football.

In the early 50s, he was the best player in La Liga. He was the true leader of the team of Les Cinc Copes. The violence of the defenders on him punished his career in the mid 50s, but Helenio Herrera took the best of him in the late 50s.

As I said, for many people, the most legendary player in our history. The Camp Nou was built to see him and it was paid with the transfer of another legend, Luis Suárez.

After his dead, the Social Affairs and Labour Ministery gave him the greatest honours for a worker, the Gold Medal in Labour merits.

[tub]1dCOXzwISTw[/tub]

Johan Cruyff (1973-1978)

Johan Cruyff (Amsterdam, Netherlands 1947) probably is the man that changed the face of the club.

He rejected Ajax's wishes to sell him to Santiago Bernabeu and joined us in 1973. Barcelona were living the worst part of our history. We had not won a league in 14 years, but the club was able to sign the greatest player of the moment and one of the best in history.

A whole generation grew up without titles, but Rinus Michels brought the best executer of his total football ideas. The result was the so important Liga title in 1974, a league that marked a generation of barcelonistes. It's true that his career went downfall after that (he only won one Liga in 1974 and 1 Copa in 1978), although he kept being the best player we had. In any case, probably noone at that moment could actually know that this man and his football ideas were going to be the seed of the most glorious era in Barcelona, the one we're living.

After the retirment of Kubala, the club entered in an unhealthy nostalgic trance. Only Johan Cruyff, his Liga and his ulterior management were able to make Kubala rest in peace, building the modern era of the club.

It's impossible to understand Barcelona since 1988 until nowadays without him. Perhaps he was not the best player we had on the pitch (in terms of performance), but without a doubt the most influential person in the history of the club.

The impossible goal
[tub]vfvf91EHToo[/tub]

Ronald Koeman (1989-1995)

Ronald Koeman (Zaandam, 1963) was one of the main columns of the Dream Team. I think that picture sums it up: he scored the most important goal in our history. All our fears went away and Barcelona entered in history by fact long long after the club was it by spirit.

Koeman was a fantastic defender, always well positioned, a leader of a 3 man defense, as difficult as it is. His long passes were perfect, his vision of the game brilliant, his shots unstoppable. He scored 102 in 345 games for us, an impressive record for a central back.

As you know, one of the leaders of the Dream Team and these are his records with us:

1 Copa de Europa (1991/92)
1 Supercopa de Europa (1992)
4 Ligas (1990/91, 91/92, 92/93, 93/94)
1 Copa Del Rey (1989/90)
2 Supercopas de España (1991 and 1992)
2 Copas Catalunya (1990/91 and 92/93)

[tub]cLEaQVTXY6c[/tub]

Josep Guardiola (1990-2001)

The figure of the #4. He was not the first #4 of the factory of La Masia, but with him the perfection appeared. Probably, he has been the most intelligent player that ever played in the Camp Nou. He had a weak image, but his football was huge. He was essential for the Dream Team. The whole game was developed around him, he knew what to do with the ball even before he had it in his feet. And when he had the ball, he always passed it with sense in one touch... maximum two! Something that he wants to impose in his team as a coach.

Guardiola was more than just the best central midfielder of his generation. He also was the "father" of a whole generation of central midfielders that are the trademark of the club. Guardiola was Cruyff's head on the pitch.

And with time, he became the most important leader we ever had. He has been the most respected player I've ever seen, by fans and rivals. Guardiola is Barça and Barça is Guardiola. He grew up with the badge on his heart, as ball boy, he triumphed as player and was the author of the most memorable season in our history. Guardiola will pass to history as one of the greatest.

And these are his titles, match this if you can:
1 European Cup (1991/92)
1 Cup Winners' Cup (1996/97)
2 Supercopas de Europa (1992 and 1997)
6 Ligas (1990/91, 91/92, 92/93, 93/94, 97/98 and 98/99)
2 Copas del Rey (1996/97 and 97/98)
4 Supercopas de España (1991, 1992, 1994 and 1996)
3 Copas de Catalunya (1990/91, 92/93 and 99/00).

[tub]RETDP1ZPqaM[/tub]

Michael Laudrup (1989-1994)

The artist of the Dream Team. Laudrup (Frederiksberg, 1964) came to Barcelona after a failure in his Italian adventure with Juventus and passed to history as the greatest Danish player ever. His fantasy linking midfield and forward lines were one of the trademarks of the Dream Team.

People will always remember his assists giving the ball while looking at the stands, like the way he dribbled the rivals passing the ball from one foot to the other, since his 2 feet were magic.

For years, the Camp Nou had a huge banner that said "Enjoy Laudrup" and it's impossible to describe his football better. The Dream Team was art... Laudrup was the artist.

His titles:
1 Copa de Europa (91/92)
1 Supercopa de Europa (1992)
4 Ligas (90/91, 91/92, 92/93, 93/94)
1 Copa del Rey (89/90)
2 Supercopas de España (1991 y 1992)
2 Copas Catalunya (90/91 y 92/93)

[tub]BvgrUaBrTLg[/tub]

Hristo Stoichkov (1991-1995, 1996-1998)

Hristo Stoichkov (Plovdiv, Bulgaria 1966) was the spark that started the fire of the Dream Team. With his signing, Barcelona got the striker that needed to conquer everything.

Stoichkov was a very complete player. His angry character also defined his football, but it's not that he was a player that lacked skills. He was a knife, dominating as winger, but also a fantastic scorer. Pure heart, competitive spirit, he was the heart of the Dream Team.

He was the player that got the highest individual recognitions out of the Dream Team, winning the Golden Ball in 1995.

His titles:
1 Copa de Europa (1991/92)
1 Recopa (1996/97)
2 Supercopas de Europa (1992 y 1997)
5 Ligas (1990/91, 91/92, 92/93, 93/94 y 97/98)
2 Copas del Rey (1996/97 y 97/98)
4 Supercopas de España (1991, 1992, 1994 y 1996)
2 Copas Catalunya (1990/91 y 92/93)

[tub]McNhV7K_Z6Y[/tub]

Rivaldo (1997-2002)

Rivaldo (Recife, Brasil, 1972) was one of the most skillful players we ever had. He was signed to make people forget Ronaldo and surely he did. Rivaldo always had this sad and nostalgic image, but was one of the most talented players in the history of football.

Rivaldo was the leader of the team in the late 90s and early 00s, along with the unforgettable Luis Enrique. In the "post-cruyffism", Rivaldo was the man that took the team back on the track of triumphs and he was the main "guilty" of the 2 Ligas of 1998 and 1999. All that, despite his continuous polemics with the coach Van Gaal.

Rivaldo was a kind of fake winger that had great goal-scoring skills, an extraordinary technical talent and an unstoppable dribbling. He was the anti-hero in the years of the media football. Always humble, always serious, always so normal. With these characteristics, he was able to win the Golden Ball in 1999, which had a lot of merit.

Probably one of the most underrated players in history, sometimes unfairly punished in the Camp Nou. Nowadays, his figure gains in respect and the fans that saw him will never forget the man who was the leader of the transition years.

1 Supercopa de Europa (1997)
2 Ligas (1997/98 i 98/99)
1 Copa del Rey (1997/98)
1 Copa Catalunya (1999/00)

[tub]3YC-RREohsA[/tub]

Ronaldinho (2003-2008)

The opposite of Rivaldo was Ronaldinho (Porto Alegre, 1980), the eternal smile. And his smile brought the smile back to the fans. The team of the 2 Ligas and, mainly, the team of Paris 2006 will always have his name. After all, this was called the "Samba Team" and it was all because of him.

Ronaldinho signed for the club after several years of failures and a dark era in all senses. Only his image was fresh air. In my opinion, along with Maradona, the most talented player we ever watched in the Camp Nou, but the main difference between them is that Ronaldinho actually put Barça in the heavens with his goals, his magic, his dribblings, his smile and his leadership.

That Barcelona of Rijkaard had many wonderful players, but Ronaldinho was the king of the kings. FIFA World Player 2005 and 2006 and Golden Ball 2006. Sadly for him and for us, his career went to hell after he reached the top and he has been unable to resist the pleassures of success. I hate to see his image so damaged, but history will be fair with him. Ronaldinho has been one of the most important players in Barcelona's history and his arrival was a change in mentality and image that we still enjoy. The 2000s will be remembered for him. Never forget this.

2 Ligas (2004/05, 2005/06)
1 Champions League (2005/06)
2 Supercopas de España (2005/06, 2006/07)
3 Copas Catalunya (2003/04, 2004/05, 2006/07)

[tub]l9Nq8q-EEhk[/tub]

Samuel Eto'o (2004-2009)

The Untamble Lion Eto'o (Nkon, Camerún, 1981) signed for us in one of the most polemic signings ever, after Real Madrid decided to sell their rights on him to Barcelona. Samuel Eto'o became a man with us and won everything with the club.

He is going to be the striker of the 2000s and his goals will pass to history along with Cesar's and Kubala's, which is big words. Samuel Eto'o will also be the man who scored the first goal in the finals of Paris 06 and Roma 09.

Probably, he can be labeled the Stoichkov of the 2000s, all heart, all honestity, perhaps too much. Eto'o has been the soul of this team, the winning spirit. He will always live under the shadows of Ronaldinho and Messi's shiny skills, but when you go down to the numbers, noone can beat him.

He will always be one the symbols of the big triumphs of the Rijkaard era, one of the symbols of its fall and one of the symbols of the Triplete. For now, the last legend of the club and I'm sure we'll have to wait decades to find the striker who matches his stats.

2 Champions League (2005/06 y 2008/09)
3 Ligas (2004/05, 2005/06 y 2008/09)
1 Copa del Rey (2008/09)
2 Supercopas de España (2005/06 y 2006/07)
2 Copas Catalunya (2004/05 y 2006/07)

[tub]eFWDAVNcpnQ[/tub]

I won't continue, I know I missed many people, but even though they're more than 10, they are the names that came fast to my mind. Obviously, players like Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi will have a place there, but I'm not going to kill them yet.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Very interesting, especially the earlier players
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Seeking knowledge is not ignorance!

As an outstanding BRITISH (and therefore the best) medical doctor, I have more intelligence in my left foot, than you and your entire inbred family put together!
Seeking knowledge?! :)

you go knowledge seeker, LOL. british doctor my ass. you're a street boy with a new internet connection

put that ignorant thumbsup through your ass and get the fuk out of here.

oh and JA, awesome post... something good came out of that attention seeker's topic afterall

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
I don't know if it's fair or not, but the older players don't get as much credit as the ones we hold in our own memory. A lot of the players Cruijff and onwards are familiar, while the others I have never heard of before.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Okay, I think making a ranking would be an error, since we're comparing different eras in football, different moments, different situations.

I am going to post some of the players who were important for us. I fear to miss someone.

In no specific order...
Fantastic post! I learned more about the older generation players - thanks for presenting in a consolidated fashion.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Good read, Koeman, I knew you'll pop in and post that with all the pictures. Btw, what time period is Golden Era.

Obviously it's hard to rate players from the whole century, besides the fact that the game was different in different time periods, noone of us saw past legends, so can anyone claim anything. As an interesting fact I'll add two Hungarians to the list, one Hungarian - Kubala - is anyway considered as the best FCB player (even though he was ethnically Slovak like Dekalog), it's just interesting that Hungarians were so important in FCB history.

Ferenc Platko, from Wikipedia:

Ferenc Plattkó also known Franz Platko Kopiletz, Francisco Platko (born Budapest, Hungary, December 2, 1898, died Santiago, Chile, September 2, 1982), also known as Ferenc Platko or Francisco Platko, was a Hungarian footballer and manager. During the 1910s and 1920s he played as a goalkeeper for Vasas SC, WAC Vienna, MTK Hungária FC, FC Barcelona, Recreativo de Huelva and Hungary. He subsequently worked as a coach in Europe and South America, most notably with FC Barcelona, Colo-Colo, River Plate, Boca Juniors and Chile. Platko was an early FC Barcelona legend and was a team-mate of Paulino Alcántara, Josep Samitier and Sagibarbá. His bravery as a goalkeeper was immortalized by Rafael Alberti in the poem Oda A Platko. After retiring as a player he returned to the club as a coach on two occasions (1934-35, 1955-56).

Sandor Kocsis (prounounce Kochish), from Wikipedia:
Sándor Kocsis Péter (born Budapest, Hungary, September 21, 1929; died Barcelona, July 22, 1979) was a Hungarian footballer who played for Ferencváros TC, Budapest Honvéd, Young Fellows Zürich, CF Barcelona and Hungary. During the 1950s, along with Ferenc Puskás, Zoltán Czibor, József Bozsik and Nándor Hidegkuti, he was one of the legendary Mighty Magyars. After the 1956 Hungarian Revolution he moved to Spain where he became a prominent member of the successful CF Barcelona team of the late 1950s. In 1961 he also played as a guest for Valencia CF and helped them win their own summer trophy, the Trofeo Naranja. He scored in both games as Valencia beat Botafogo and FC Barcelona. He was an all round forward being a magnificent finisher, very strong, great at positioning and most of all brilliant in the air.

Nicknamed Golden Head, Kocsis was a prolific goalscorer for both Budapest Honvéd and Hungary. While playing for Honvéd, he was the top goal scorer in any European league in both 1952 and 1954. He also scored 75 goals in 68 appearances for Hungary. This included a record seven hat tricks. Eleven of these goals and two of these hat tricks were scored at the 1954 World Cup. He became the first player ever to score two hat tricks in a World Cup and finished the tournament as top scorer. Only Just Fontaine has scored more goals in a single World Cup.

Kocsis retired as a player in 1966 and opened a restaurant in Barcelona called Tete D’ Or. He also worked as a coach with CF Barcelona and managed Hercules CF between 1972 and 1974. However his coaching career was cut short when he was diagnosed with leukemia and then stomach cancer. On July 22 1979, aged 49, he fell to his death from the fourth floor of a hospital in Barcelona. He allegedly committed suicide although it may have been an accident.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
And one name should be on that top 10 list. It's Hans "Joan" Gamper, as a player he may not be that influential, even though he had fantastic stats (4 seasons, 51 games, 120 goals), but still without him there would be no FCB.

He was an important footballer in Switzerland, the captain of FC Basel. When he moved to Barcelona, where he found work, he founded FCB in 1899. FCB is not the oldest club in the city (it's one of the oldest in Spain though), as some weeks earlier Català FC was founded (even though they officially registered only in December, so "officially" FCB is older). Gamper naturally wanted to join that club, but they didn't admit any foreigners, so he decided to start his own club and put an advert in a newspaper, and the first players who responded to that advert were mostly foreigners (mostly British) living and working in Barcelona at that time. As an interesting fact, "locals-only" Català FC ceased to exist in late 20's and never won a single title in its history.

Even though he was a founder, he preferred to just play the game, so he's not among the first presidents (he was team's captain though), after retiring as a player he was the president in 5 different occasions. He would be a president for many other years, but Spanish fascist regime expelled him from the country in 1925 accusing him of promoting Catalan nationalism. Later fascists allowed him to return to Barcelona on several harsh conditions though, he was not allowed to have any contact with "his" football club. Severly depressed because of this and because of financial problems he comitted suicide in 1930. His funeral was a magnificent event in Barcelona on that year.

When we started building the new stadium in 1955, we wanted to name it after the legendary Gamper. Franco's fascist regime prevented it, so the stadium has no name, as Nou Camp in Catalan means only "New Stadium" (exactly: new field).

It's a paradoxical twist of events, isn't it, the guy was not allowed to join the football club in his city, because he was not Catalan, he establishes a new club with mostly foreigners, but still ends up as one of the greatest Catalan patriots.

·
Registered
423 Posts
An "outstanding knowledge seeker" would find those answers extremely easy by his own.

Full bios of Alcantara, Kubala, ...
But they are in spanish...
Any "outstanding" and even a "simple" guy would have a fair knowledge of spanish as of english. Even more easy,... one single click can do the translate.

However, beyond that info there are questions.... why? Answering the why's? is knowledge.
Why Inter didnt won a single scudetto for 17 yrs? If you are a good interista fan you could answer that question with more than a simple 'Juve/Milan were better'.
So, why Maradona wasnt succesful in Barca?
Answer that is interesting, as looking into the entire Barca's history.

Another example: the assholes sometimes says the higher score they did against Barca is 11-1, BUT why and how, are the questions any non-asshole would ask.
L'escàndol de Chamartín (Copa 1942/1943)"

If you want history and players, there are lots of interesting facts in this article:
http://www.atp.com.ar/post/Deportes/113719/Barcelona_FC_el_post_que_se_merece.html
Its easy to find in google, though, even for a "non outstanding".

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Seeking knowledge?! :)

you go knowledge seeker, LOL. british doctor my ass. you're a street boy with a new internet connection

put that ignorant thumbsup through your ass and get the fuk out of here.

oh and JA, awesome post... something good came out of that attention seeker's topic afterall
:rollani:

Real mature

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also some quotes for the "outstanding people":
atp.com.ar said:
Also one should note the incidents in 1925 when the government of the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera closed out the Les Corts stadium for six months and forced to resign President Hans Gamper because whistles with which the Barca fans received the interpretation of Royal Gait in the preliminaries of a meeting.
atp.com.ar said:
The club was taken by the authorities of the new Franco regime that henceforth and until 1953, directly appoint the president of the club.
The new board Hispanicized all sections of the club, eliminating any Catalan or Anglo-Saxon connotation.
In 1940 the club was renamed "Football Club Barcelona" instead of "Football Club Barcelona", and amended the shield: it abolished the four stripes of the Catalan flag to put in its place the Spanish flag, but in 1949, the occasion of the golden jubilee of the club, the government authorized the return of the Catalan flag.
http://www.barcelona-football-weekends.co.uk/ said:
June 1943. Chamartin scandal: "Barça" field suffers a defeat at Real Madrid after threats from the referee and police and ending with the resignation of President Franco Pineiro.
Official website said:
A year later, on 16 June 1943, the scandal of Chamartin, a rout suffered at Real Madrid measured by the threatens by referee and police, causing the resignation of Pineiro, a man of the regime, but honest.
http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/castellano/club/historia/etapes_historia/etapa_2.html

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I suppose the most important is Cruijff, considering the influence as player, coach and now the eminence behind major decisions.

But for me, it's Rivaldo. I know by the time he ends his career Messi will have probably become the first player to be considered the greatest both in the history of Barcelona and football, but for me it'll always be that Rivaldo dude.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I suppose the most important is Cruijff, considering the influence as player, coach and now the eminence behind major decisions.

But for me, it's Rivaldo. I know by the time he ends his career Messi will have probably become the first player to be considered the greatest both in the history of Barcelona and football, but for me it'll always be that Rivaldo dude.
I don't know your age, but I'm guessing you're a bit younger than I. After all, and maybe I'm wrong in your case, when you are a teen you make your idols and, with time, you see things with a bit of distance.

In my case, the Dream Team was the beginning and end of everything. It was a wonderful era and those games and players are in my heart, being Stoichkov my idol.

Of course, I enjoy the current moments, Messi and the rest. On the other hand, when I was a 14 year old guy, Stoichkov was the MAN. Nowadays, I look at the team and most of them are younger than I and, in some cases, way younger, like Bojan or Messi, and I still find myself refering to them as "nens" (kids).

I think I don't make idols anymore... it happens the same in music, I think.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts