Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the lead of our friend BasqueWolf , i thought people might give their thoughts on some of the great players in the 100+ years of Athletic.

Now, when i was growing up, my late Aita would always mention Zarra , Gainza and Panizo as his favoriites, but if pressed would say he liked Zarra the most.he never saw Iribar play , because he left Euskadi in 1955.

My pick would be Julen because i have seen him the most.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
This is really a tough one, think it's very difficult to name one...

We had very great players in the past, you name some.

For me, I do only really know players over the last years since I follow Athletic, I especially love it when players could leave Athletic for a 'better' team and perhaps more money, but stay loyal to Athletic... think about Julen, Etxebe, but also Isma.

Read this about Zarra btw :frownani:

athletic-club.net said:
Ha fallecido Telmo Zarra
El Athletic Club desea manifestar su pesar por el fallecimiento del ex jugador rojiblanco, Telmo Zarraonandia, Zarra. A través de estas líneas, nuestra entidad quiere ofrecer su más sentido pésame a todos los familiares y allegados del que fuera futbolista del Athletic Club en la década de los años 40 y 50.
... & http://www.canalathletic.com/portal/content/view/6571/

RIP

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Life has these things, what a coincidence.

aussiebasque, Athletic is a team with a lot of legends, many brilliant players, thousands of great and sad moments and therefore everyone has his prefered players/moments, even if they have not seen them, sometimes, as you know, when you are told one of those stories about those great legends you feel as if you´re watching it.

You can´t choose Athletic´s best players but it´s true that for popular knowledge, respect, impact, historical moment... there are 3 names that are written above the rest, even if it´s just a bit; Piru Gainza, Telmo Zarra and José Ángel Iribar. And from this 3 it´s imposible to choose, and in a way, it´s not necessary, they are Athletic.:)

From the ones I´ve seen the best one is also Julen, and it will be difficult to see a better one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think the greatest has just passed away...

IMO, Iribar and Julen were on a very slightly lower level. I just can´t think otherwise when I look at Zarra´s numbers. I know it was different those days, but who could come close to them even then??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts