Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id start a thread for us all to share are greatest athletic moments/ memories watever u want to call them. So ill start it off with mine

It was during the 2001-2002 season and the game was us travelling to barcelona for a very tough game and remeber that the season before we got humiliated 7-0. Now one reason this game sticks out is that the game was live on sky sports here in england on a saturday night i think and as always the commentators were stuck up barcelonas arse all game
and although urzaiz gave us an early lead barca and the great rivaldo were really pressing and eventually mid way through second half Rivaldo finally scored a quality volley i think. I then expected the flood gates too open and just hoped we could hang on but to my amazement with about 10 mins to go ezquero broke free on the right and nutmegged the swedish guy andersson i think(not to sure on that one) and rifeld it low past Bonano. We hung on and recorded a memorable victory. That goal by Santi is my favorite memory just wondered what yours were

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
BasqueWolf said:
I thought id start a thread for us all to share are greatest athletic moments/ memories watever u want to call them. So ill start it off with mine

It was during the 2001-2002 season and the game was us travelling to barcelona for a very tough game and remeber that the season before we got humiliated 7-0. Now one reason this game sticks out is that the game was live on sky sports here in england on a saturday night i think and as always the commentators were stuck up barcelonas arse all game
and although urzaiz gave us an early lead barca and the great rivaldo were really pressing and eventually mid way through second half Rivaldo finally scored a quality volley i think. I then expected the flood gates too open and just hoped we could hang on but to my amazement with about 10 mins to go ezquero broke free on the right and nutmegged the swedish guy andersson i think(not to sure on that one) and rifeld it low past Bonano. We hung on and recorded a memorable victory. That goal by Santi is my favorite memory just wondered what yours were

That game was great, worth adding that our second goal was scored playing with 10 . That gives it even more merit, and of course you feel better after beating them.;)

Our red card was a joke, with the game being played, Rivaldo, who was running after Lacruz punched him in the face (worth watching the tv images with Rivaldo and his evil face before punching Lacruz:D ). Rafa Guerrero (famous linesman) was around and I don´t know what he told the ref but truth is it all ended with yellow cards for Rivaldo and Lacruz (it was the second for Mari). I don´t know what was the explanation for Lacruz´s yellow, hitting Rivaldo´s fist with the nose maybe?:rolleyes: Of course Rivaldo, as Eto´o, wasn´t sanctioned or anything like that, all these 'stars' have "white card" to do whatever they want.

Some good moments I remember:

-The UEFA Cup leg against Newcastle (94-95), with Jabo Irureta as Athletic´s coach. Kevin Keagan´s team was the leader of EPL by that time and we had a lot of injuries, we played a lot of players from the B team, and subs who almost didn´t play during the season, such as Oskar Tabuenka who Newcastle´s players laughed at during the week. Athletic was down 3-0 in St. James Park when suddenly in the last 15 minutes Gontzal Suances entered the field, he was around 18 or so, he had never played for the first team...he scored one goal and assisted another to Kuko Ziganda.

Then we won 1-0 in San Mamés (Kuko Ziganda, Garitano missed a penalty) and passed the leg, noone could believe it. Not only the games, but the relationship between the fans and the clubs was great, Keagan had very nice words for Athletic and its fans. Suances didn´t turn to be a star or anything like that, he passed his career in Segunda and Segunda B, but man he was a hero that night!

That UEFA Cup was very exciting for Athletic, first because in that time it was more important than nowadays, since CL had only 1 team per league. We passed against Anorthosis after loosing 2-0 in Cyprus, we won in San Mamés 3-0 thanks to a goal by Andrinua in the 89th minute. Then the Newcastle leg and finally the leg against a Parma with a great squad: We won 1-0 in San Mamés (Ziganda with a header, I was in the Cathedral that great night:proud: ). In the Ennio Tardini we lost 4-2 (O.Vales, Julen) in an exciting match with lots of chances for both team and with a veeeery clear penalty to Genar Andrinua on overtime the german referee didn´t want to see, fear to the tiffosi maybe? Don´t know but truth is Athletic deserved to pass that leg and Parma ended being champion of that tournament.

-Another great moment was the 97/98 season where we ended second, most important moment was the last game against Zaragoza, where we needed the victory to end second and therefore qualify for Champions League. We won 1-0 (Etxeberria) in a magical night with San Mamés full in a great party and Luis Fernández making some olés with an ikurriña in the middle of the pitch, then celebrations in Bilbao and receivement in the city council with the players completely drunk.:D Even such a serious person as Julen Guerrero had his high moment with his "Uranga (Erreala president back then) cabrón, Etxebe es un león!", it became pretty famous.:D That season we also played the UEFA cup and passed over Sampdoria, then lost against Aston Villa but it was another great eliminatory with Athletic supporters leaving Villa Park with a great ovation from local fans.

-The 7-0 against Sporting with Julen scoring 4 if I don´t remembe wrong. The 4-2 against Madrid a couple of years ago with a great Del Horno, that great comeback against Barça that ended with a fight between Luis Fernández and Mourinho:D (who was Robson´s assistant back then)... so many...

-As Knoert has commented last season we also had some great moments, as the Liége magical night or the comeback against Osasuna, with Julen scoring the final 4-3 in the last minute or the victory in Bernabeu.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How about Athletic buying Rios for 2000m pesetas (12m euro)? That was one if not THE greatest mistake of all times in Bilbao! Zubiaurre's case is nothing compared to it. I think our pockets are still suffering... :irritate:

Sorry, but you didn't specify... :tongue:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Why? I still wonder why... Late or early 20s, it was way too much for a club like Athletic, for a player like Rios (a defender!). Anyway, I was only trying to be "funny"... :D It was one of Athletic's "greatest" moments in the bad sense.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Great post Txupa! Lovely to read about such things... :D

Remember we beat Madrid with Asier's goals, and the match against Osasuna as well, so great!

Don't know much about our mid-90s European experiences, only from statistics and pictures, but no experiences.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
BasqueWolf said:
Great memories txupa and knoert but did we really buy rios for all that money, if so why- he must have been late twenties when we did
The boom of the tv contracts, all the clubs had lots of money back then and all of them wasted it, ask José María Arrate for more information.

Poor Rios was a good player but the pressure of that millionaire transfer (record in the league for years) was too much for him. Still, he made a good season in the CL qualification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts