Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George Weah comes to my mind...

I´m not sure but I think Di Stefano never played a WC either...

More?

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Savicevic though he was part of the squad in 90 and 98 he barely featured. 94 would have been his tournament, if he'd played in that tournament, he would have definitely be seen as one of the world's greats.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Dusan_UK said:
Savicevic though he was part of the squad in 90 and 98 he barely featured. 94 would have been his tournament, if he'd played in that tournament, he would have definitely be seen as one of the world's greats.
Excuse my ignorance, Why didn't he feature much in 90?

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
He was young and was pretty much used as a substitute. The game against Argentina, he didn't even play I believe. I was young and it's more what I've read or seen that remembered. But anyway, I think he was like 21/22 so still didn't have a lot of experience and therefore it weren't relied on him as much as some of the other players. No one would remember Savicevic in '90, that was of course Stojkovic's tournament. Too bad he made a huge mistake in going to Marseille. :( Milan, BArca, Real, Juve all were interested and he chose Marseille. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
30,934 Posts
there is of course the entire generation of players of the 40's who had not this chance and this included the great Generation of Argentina (who also avoided the 1950 WC). Of them I think only Pedernera (sp?) managed one wc when he was already too old...
During this generation some unlucky brazilians such as Heleno de Freitas, Evaristo de Macedo because his move to europe, and in the 70's for pure bairrism the great Dirceu Lopes.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Ryan Giggs will retire without playing at a WC.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Juan Lozano and George Weah.

·
Registered
458 Posts
George Weah is the best player never to play in a world cup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can think of current great players who will not go to the World Cup the way their countries are playing at the moment and then those lost gems:

Ryan Giggs (Wales) - already mentioned

Norberto Solano (Peru) - Peru haven't made it since 1982 and it's not looking good still

Jari Litmanenn (Finland) - What a loss. Such great football at Ajax in the mid-90s.

Mido (Egypt) - Maybe not a "great" but certainly someone who features in European football like Mido and not be seen in the World Cup is a loss... of course he's still young

Tony Yeboah (Ghana) - We all remember that goal he scored for Leeds against Liverpool off a thunderous volley.... and we never saw it in a World Cup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts