Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think one of the greatest games has to be in Morocco in 1970 when Pele played for a Moroccan select team in Casablanca.

Pele also played for Nejmeh in Lebanon in 1974 and Kuwait beat the great AC Milan in a 2-0 win with goals from Bashar Abdullah in 1998.

Al-Ahly beat Real Madrid 1-0 in 2001

What are the other games

·
Registered
57,636 Posts
JAMESB said:

Al-Ahly beat Real Madrid 1-0 in 2001
:proud: :strong: :star:

Also :

Al-Ahly V AS Roma 2-1 Ibrahim Said & Avellino Lopez - Vincenzo Montella [pen.] in 2002

:yuck: Zamalek :yuck: V Lazio 2-1 Tarek el-Sayed & Gamal Hamza - Juan Pablo Sorin in 2003

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Personally I don't take these exhibition games seriously. They're a bit meaningless.

A great match with an Arab nation, would be something like Algeria's victory against Germany in Spain '82 or Tunisia beating Mexico in '78. those MEANT something.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with Hijazzey, WC matches are the real thing. My first WC was in 1982, so I will start from that year:

1- Algeria 2-1 Germany (82): Without doubt, that was the greatest match of all.

2- Kuwait 1-1 Czeckoslovakia (82): That was the first match for an Asian Arab team in the WC, and Kuwait did well against a decent European side. However, nobody mentions that match because of what happened in the following too matches and because of Algeria's result.

3- Morocco 3-1 Portugal (86): The result of that match allowed Morocco to qualify to the second stage as the first ever African or Arab team to do so.

4- Algeria 0-1 Brazil (86): Arguably the best attacking football by an Arab team. Unfortunately, the result did not reflect that.

5- Egypt 0-1 England (90): Many consider Egypt-Netherlands as Egypt's best in that tournament. For those, I suggest they see the last 30 mins. or so in the match against England. It was all Egypt with many chances missed.

6- Saudi Arabia 1-0 Belgium (94): KSA's best result and gave them qualification to the 2nd round.

7- Morocco 3-0 Scotland (98): Great performance, highest margin by an Arab team in WC, disappointing ending.

Sadly, WC 2002 has nothing to offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts