Xtratime Community banner

2601 - 2620 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
I felt sad for Jose tonight. Lost 3-0 at home against Spurs (3 second half goals) and Spurs fans were chanting 'you're getting sacked in the morning'..

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Sad for what?
He's a show pony

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
No one asked you to agree and you are entitled to a different view/opinion.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
José Mourinho: "From a strategic point of view we didn't lose, the tactical point of view we didn't lose, but we lost."

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Mourinho 'in tears on Inter bus'
Football Italia

Former Inter chiefs Massimo Moratti and Marco Tronchetti Provera revealed how Jose Mourinho was chosen and why he was “lying down in tears on the team bus.”

The Festival dello Sport event was an opportunity for several figures from that 2010 Treble-winning campaign to get together and swap stories on stage, including how current Manchester United manager Mou ended up in Milan.

“Mourinho stuck in my mind not for his Champions League victory with Porto, but for an interview he gave two years earlier after a draw with Deportivo La Coruna,” explained former President Moratti.

“The reporters asked him about the second leg and he replied: ‘What game? I am already thinking about the Final.’ When I heard that response, I thought: now he’s great.”

Before the Champions League triumph, Inter won the Scudetto with a hard-fought victory away to Siena.

“Straight after the game with Siena, I was looking for Mourinho and couldn’t find him anywhere,” revealed ex-director Tronchetti Provera.

“He had completely disappeared. In the end, I found him lying down in tears on the team bus, on his own. He was completely burnt out.

“We won the Champions League really in the semi-final with Barcelona. We went into the Final calm and confident, because we had already achieved something extraordinary.

“That was where we realised we could win the Champions League, with the roar of the San Siro crowd.”

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
There was tension in the final minutes, as some of the 4,000 Juve fans were insulting Mourinho, so he responded by holding up three fingers to represent Inter’s 2010 Treble – something Juventus have never achieved.

“It’s an obvious response. Obviously, they don’t love me. Obviously, the toughest moment for them was our Treble. That’s fine.

:proud: :heart:

Our Treble still haunts them 8 years later. Gobbi merde :finger:

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Mourinho: Inter my best team
Football Italia

Jose Mourinho has revealed that his Inter side of 2008-10 are the best team he has ever coached.

Mourinho led Inter to successive Scudetti and the Treble before leaving for Real Madrid, and the former Manchester United and Chelsea boss made it clear the Nerazzurri reigned supreme in his career.

“Best team? You know I have to say Inter because they won everything,” he said in his new role as a BeIN Sports pundit.

“I have to be objective and respectful of them and to say a team who won everything from day one until the last day.

“They won all the competitions, won the Treble, beat the best team in the world Barcelona 3-1, beat Bayern Munich 2-0 in the Champions League Final, won the League in Italy with a fantastic number of points, won the cup and won three Finals in 10 days, so I have to say they’re the best team.”

---

We didn't win 'all the competitions' as we lost the Super Coppa to Lazio in Beijing at the start of 09-10, but his choice is understandable considering 1. Inter hadn't won the CL since the 60s, and 2. because Jose didn't win the CL with either Chelsea or Real. Although imo, winning UEFA Cup and CL with Porto in consecutive seasons is certainly up there, and better in the sense of progression and continuity. To do that with a club from Portugal is remarkable.

We won Serie A more comfortably in Jose's first season compared to the Treble season, it must be said.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
The Treble with Jose with a legendary moment. His team was incredibly hard working, with a great team spirit.

pandev milito eto'o
sneijder
:proud: cambiasso zanetti :proud:
chivu samuel lucio michael douglas
cesar

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
He really did an incredible job with you guys. I always thought Mancini's work before was a bit underrated since I distinctly remember thinking you guys were playing really good at times and being unlucky (all the draws at one point), but Mourinho just took you to a different level. Really solid team, and very flexible tactically -- also playing 4-4-2 with a diamond sometimes, and so many players reaching levels they never reached before or after (despite generally have very good careers), playing different roles, etc. And this was having just lost Zlatan, who was at his peak arguably when he left you.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
He really did an incredible job with you guys. I always thought Mancini's work before was a bit underrated since I distinctly remember thinking you guys were playing really good at times and being unlucky (all the draws at one point), but Mourinho just took you to a different level. Really solid team, and very flexible tactically -- also playing 4-4-2 with a diamond sometimes, and so many players reaching levels they never reached before or after (despite generally have very good careers), playing different roles, etc. And this was having just lost Zlatan, who was at his peak arguably when he left you.
Losing Zlatan was a positive not a negative.

This made them an actual team.

It's no coincidence that they won the treble after he left and that Barca won the treble just before him.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
The many draws were in Mancini's first season at Inter (04-05) when we played good attacking football but sucked in defending. Walter Samuel improved things when he arrived in 2005, and Mancini started to depend on 3 or even 4 central midfielders in 06-07 and 07-08 to make the team more compact. We had Cambiasso, Zanetti, Vieira, Dacourt and Stankovic back then. Not all played together but 3-4 of them did.

Zlatan was Serie A top scorer in his last season at Inter (08-09), yeah.

Milito winning the CL when he was playing in it for the first time was quite remarkable. He was already proven in Spain and Italy but not in the CL.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
It's no coincidence that they won the treble after he left and that Barca won the treble just before him.
Barca also won the CL in 2011 after they sold Zlatan to Milan.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts

That's just wild speculation. It actually is a coincidence in so many ways. Inter became an actual team because of Mourinho's amazing work, not because they lost the best striker in the world at the time. And Barça failed to win the CL not because of Zlatan, but because precisely that amazing Inter team eliminated them (agonizingly). Zlatan had a bad six months at Barcelona, nothing else, just like Eto'o was recycled as a hard working winger when needed. Had Bojan not missed a sitter or had a goal disallowed in the end, we would not be having this conversation.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
That's just wild speculation. It actually is a coincidence in so many ways. Inter became an actual team because of Mourinho's amazing work, not because they lost the best striker in the world at the time. And Barça failed to win the CL not because of Zlatan, but because precisely that amazing Inter team eliminated them (agonizingly). Zlatan had a bad six months at Barcelona, nothing else, just like Eto'o was recycled as a hard working winger when needed. Had Bojan not missed a sitter or had a goal disallowed in the end, we would not be having this conversation.
Come on these are excuses. Plain old Zlatan excuses.

If you see the Barca team of.2009 to the Barca team of 2010 to the Barca team of 2011...what's the key here? With Eto'o they're CL winners and with Villa in 2011 they're CL winners. In 2010...? Nah.

Other CL sides he's been apart of and failed:

Capello's Juve, Mancini's Inter, Mourinho's Inter, Allegri's Milan and the various PSG sides.

Baffled people still put Zlatan on the highest level. Utter nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Why would these teams have won CL anyway, are you kidding? Allegri's Milan? No team had ever won CL in the CL-era twice in a row but suddenly Barça doesn't and it's Zlatan's fault? PSG should win CL for the first time ever but they don't because of Zlatan? Inter had not won CL in half a century, but if they didn't, it's the fault of Zlatan, widely considered a top 3 striker in the world at the time? :howler:

If you watched Inter and Ibrahimovic in 2009 and believe Inter were a better side because they lost him, rather than because Mourinho did an extraordinary job (where half the players, of quite different ages, reached their best form ever and the team was obviously and incredibly well oiled machine) then that's okay. Impossible to prove either way, and just boring to discuss...

You are most obviously conflating correlation with causation in ways that don't make sense at all, and I'll leave it that.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts

You're leaving out one very important aspect of the conversation: Ibra generally played badly for Inter and Barca in the CL, at least in the clutch games. He was appalling against Liverpool and Man U 2 seasons running with Inter (see his one on one miss against Liverpool at San Siro - abaolutely shocking).

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Why would these teams have won CL anyway, are you kidding? Allegri's Milan? No team had ever won CL in the CL-era twice in a row but suddenly Barça doesn't and it's Zlatan's fault? PSG should win CL for the first time ever but they don't because of Zlatan? Inter had not won CL in half a century, but if they didn't, it's the fault of Zlatan, widely considered a top 3 striker in the world at the time? :howler:

If you watched Inter and Ibrahimovic in 2009 and believe Inter were a better side because they lost him, rather than because Mourinho did an extraordinary job (where half the players, of quite different ages, reached their best form ever and the team was obviously and incredibly well oiled machine) then that's okay. Impossible to prove either way, and just boring to discuss...

You are most obviously conflating correlation with causation in ways that don't make sense at all, and I'll leave it that.
It's not even about winning it with those teams, but he failed awfully with all those teams and all those teams barring the Milan team were one of the best sides in Europe. And he more often than not didn't perform in CL knockout games and at times wasn't stepping up. (I know how great he was in the Serie A in the 08/09 season)

The best thing Inter did was selling him, cos they wouldn't have won the CL with him in 2010. And same with Barca in 2011 if they had him instead of Villa.

You seem to think I'm basing this off Wikipedia and linking his name to exits. I saw more than enough of him in CL knockout ties to see an issue.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Van is downplaying that Milan team massively. Ok its not winning CL material but is it really worse than semi finalist like Monaco and Roma. Is it really? Im just looking at the roster:

Zlatan
Pato
Robinho
Cassano
Pippo
Seedorf
Pirlo
Gattuso
Van Bommel
Nesta
Thiago Silva
Ambrosini

Maybe there is motivation issues and some got old like Pippo but its not bad list of names.

On the large scale. The reality is that Inter got rid of Zlatan who they relied on and instead built a team who didnt rely on one individual in Zlatan. Instead it was a well oiled team. One can argue Eto was also up there as top 3 striker those days still. And he was proven CL player/winner.

Zlatan was great in serie a but in europe he didnt have many great nights what ever team he played for. He should have gone to epl sooner not waste some of his best days in that psg vanity project.

But then again the brazilian Ronaldo never won CL either...

·
Greta joke sharer
23,226 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, we should also take into consideration the fact that selling Zlatan financed Inter's signings of Eto'o, Milito, Sneijder, Motta and Lucio.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ibra was never the best striker the time he went to Barca though. Torres was easily better than him.

2601 - 2620 of 2633 Posts