Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Montero was a great captain for a long time.

Now that he is retired I thought we'd start an appreciation thread, and share some of our fond memomries of him.

One of mine was the goal he scored against Mexico in the last Copa America. Our defence was not the same without him in the qualifiers, and you knew after that tournament, that we would no longer suffer the defeats we did with him at the helm.

Going forward I believe that Lugano will bring us into the future, but I will always remember Paolo for always giving his all.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Its funny, I was about to start a "Thank you Paolo" thread like in a week or so....but what the hey.

For me the Copa America Mexico goal was incredible. I had such a thorn cause all the teams were making fun of us and Mexico (with the mediocre team they have) were actually called "Favorites" and were suppose to easily beat us.

But Paolo came through big time.

2) Paraguay goal.....who could forget. It was maybe his worst game in the NT but that goal was the first time we beat them in over 30 years. Amazing.

Im glad those Australian fagots didnt get the pleasure of beating Paolo in his last game (thats why i was kinda glad when he got his muscle strain during the game).

3) Playing with that injury vs. Brazil in the Copa semi Final= wow.

Worst moment:
I felt really bad for him when he missed the famous PK vs. Milan in the CL Final (His face told it all, he wanted to kill himself)

2) The Famous "Carini pass" vs. Senegal. lol. Jesus what was he thinking? But he was still the most loved player in the NT after that game no matter what he did (And he did play really well in the 2nd half)

I just bought URuguay/brazil (Copa america 95 final) on Ebay......and seeing a young Paolo in the Celebrations at the end really was emotional, he's the best captain we've had in years. (Like easily better than Enzo in the 80s/90s)

We are very lucky to have Lugano now (Btw, congrats on the Intercontinental win).....He has more potential than even Paolo right now......He could be the best defender in the americas (North and South) soon <if he isnt already>.

PS- Im 100% sure that after his next 6 months in San Lorenzo..........he'll go back to Penarol (As he promised a few months ago) to end his career.

And he'll give them the glory they've been waiting for (Libertadores maybe?)

Trust me, Paolo is far from gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts