Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy did not have a great season last year and this year he hasn't been any better. He was practically invisible in the match against Recre. What happened?

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
he is plain sucking regarding his football skills, seems fit, but clouncy as they come...he was too much regular for too much time, who knows...

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Do you think there is a slight chance that after his great display in WC06 he was actually way over hyped? Just a thought.

·
18,041 Posts
Do you think there is a slight chance that after his great display in WC06 he was actually way over hyped? Just a thought.
it has nothing to do at all..the question has to do with his perfromances in Aleti and even if you want, in his last season in Espanyol, those were at least three seasons with a great level of Maxi even if he never was saint of my devotion due to other style of players I preffer above him...

The only thing that has to do with the WC06 to some extent is that after that WC and after his great Aleti year, he was asked to be a leader in a football sense he never was...

BTW his last match wasn't that bad, but he is missing those chances that in the past he scored...that takes confidence too...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Just because he is not scoring in 4:0 victories?!

Mhhm as long as he scores in the 1:0 victories ... I am fine!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
He shines in WC06 in... 2006. Does well in 06/07. Does not well in 07/08, and crap all in 08/09 to this day... sounds like another hyped Argie alright.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
He shines in WC06 in... 2006. Does well in 06/07. Does not well in 07/08, and crap all in 08/09 to this day... sounds like another hyped Argie alright.
???

07/08 he was forced to the stands because of a knee injury ... in the games he was able to play ... he had more goals than Torres!

Last season he played also very well if you have in mind that he had such a tough injury!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Well ok he didnt have a very good season last year that you can admit, but to call him overhyped is just stupid, he is a very good player, he will get through this bad moment im sure

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
2005 2006 Atlético Madrid 28 (games) 10 (goals)
2006 2007 Atlético Madrid 10 (games) 6 (goals)
2007 2008 Atlético Madrid 35 (games) 8 (goals)

Well IMO this is more than fine!

·
18,041 Posts
bambino caro mio, if someone must know, specially a tanito is that we don't need a sivori to play in allmighty Italy or Europe and have more than a good season, just a Camoranesi will do it...he did more than well pre 07/08 in Argentina and Espanyol, he can retire right now and be produ of what he achieved (BTW he ended anyway scoring his good share among the midfielders in spain in this last one)...BTW he didn't shine in WC, only defenders really shine in that WC...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

While 8 goals is a good number for a winger, if scoring goals is all a player is going to do then he better score AT LEAST 15. Maxi didn't contribute much else aside from those 8 goals. Simao scored less than him yet had a much better year.

·
18,041 Posts
The thing is taht Maxi ain't a winger, and that's precisly why he isn't my cup of tea...he is (or was) the wet dream of polivalence many coaches have...

He is more like a mid that plays in a flank than a winger, or even a second forward more than a winger. In his carreer Maxi even had roles of mediapunta or playmaker and all his tasks, he does it with grit and great sacrifice in making relevos and defensive duties...right now Maxi doesn't know what role suits him better...the best Maxi was the young kid in Newell's, there he played wit a lot of joy with the sacrifice he allways had...then he had very good professional stages in Europe and the NT, but was already another Maxi, the Maxi with lots of intangibles that coaches love to have...

But the prior is an analysis of his capabilties and style, not a resume of his current level, right now he is more about intangibles and team contribution tactically, than him being in his best form.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is taht Maxi ain't a winger, and that's precisly why he isn't my cup of tea...he is (or was) the wet dream of polivalence many coaches have...

He is more like a mid that plays in a flank than a winger, or even a second forward more than a winger. In his carreer Maxi even had roles of mediapunta or playmaker and all his tasks, he does it with grit and great sacrifice in making relevos and defensive duties...right now Maxi doesn't know what role suits him better...the best Maxi was the young kid in Newell's, there he played wit a lot of joy with the sacrifice he allways had...then he had very good professional stages in Europe and the NT, but was already another Maxi, the Maxi with lots of intangibles that coaches love to have...

But the prior is an analysis of his capabilties and style, not a resume of his current level, right now he is more about intangibles and team contribution tactically, than him being in his best form.
Ok whatever he is...winger, midfielder, second striker. I you're not a goal-scorer (20+) you need to do other things than scoring an occasional goal to be valuable to a team. I don't see Maxi making good passes or contributing much on defense. He's just invisible out there.

·
18,041 Posts
Ok whatever he is...winger, midfielder, second striker. I you're not a goal-scorer (20+) you need to do other things than scoring an occasional goal to be valuable to a team. I don't see Maxi making good passes or contributing much on defense. He's just invisible out there.
no no signore, whatever nope, he is a MIDFIELDER, that's why he was praise because of his goals, those are good numbers for a midfielder...and as a side note, never analyzed a winger based on numbers either, because they aren't ina role, they are a race with their own rules...

What are we talking about? about Maxi as a player per se, in his good times included, or his actual form? because from what I'm reading, seems more like Maxi per se...

no one is saying he is having a great season, more like a bad one, neither that he had a great one last season either, thought not as bad as it seems is said here.

The intangibles I said before, many times does not include, goals, not even passing, while defending ain't just stealing a ball. Maxi is a machine covering spaces, making relevos and that is sthg he allways does no matter whatand is why Aguirre and many coaches use him even in his worse days, apart from expecting him to recover form...

nevertheless, again, he ain't my cup of tea in his euro version, even in his best days, and nowadays apart from some of the intangibles I said, he is playing way below par.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I agree about the defensive part. The full back behind him definitely will always get a lot if help. Simao is not bad at that too, but Maxi is just insane. IMO he could even be useful in a 3-5-2.

The problem this season is basically the goals. If he manages his usual 8-10 goals a season no one will complain IMO. Aand his goals are often game winners.

·
18,041 Posts
Van, not only the goals, like Prodigy says here, he ain't being accurate in his passes and he ain't dribbling that much, but like I said as long as he keeps at least his workrate and positioning, with all he already gave to Aleti, Aguirre will respect his place anyway...

PD: que te paso el otro dia con el post sobre el partido argentina , peru? te volviste loco jaja, no entendiste un soto lo que quise decir jaja sos un personaje!! ja

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Maxi used to come up with important goals for Atlético when the rest of our strikers had problems with the goalscoring. He's got an excellent shot, great working rate but I've never seen him as a natural winger. Sure, he may not dribble a lot but can still find openings in a the oppositions defences with good runs.

He's more of a supporting striker to me than winger and I like the his versatility.

As for him not being the same any longer; I still think he may be suffering from that horrendous injury against Spain, it may be something mentally. I'd say that it's a mixture of that and the fact that he's got a lot more responsability in defence than for an example Simão. That captains armband has never been any good, it wasn't very good to Torres and it's kind of forced Maxi to play a lot more defensive than we're wishing to see.

I'm used to see him play like this now, it's been a season now since I saw the real Maxi in action during a consistent period, he's still showing glimpses of his best sides, but it's obviously tougher for him to play more freely considering he's the one who should be taking responsability and I can't blame him for that.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
???

07/08 he was forced to the stands because of a knee injury ... in the games he was able to play ... he had more goals than Torres!

Last season he played also very well if you have in mind that he had such a tough injury!
More goals than Torres? WTF?

That's Perrotta numbers man.

bambino caro mio, if someone must know, specially a tanito is that we don't need a sivori to play in allmighty Italy or Europe and have more than a good season, just a Camoranesi will do it...he did more than well pre 07/08 in Argentina and Espanyol, he can retire right now and be produ of what he achieved (BTW he ended anyway scoring his good share among the midfielders in spain in this last one)...BTW he didn't shine in WC, only defenders really shine in that WC...
It's, mio caro bambino, and you fail to make sense again Fangio.
Your comment on the WC is to laugh at btw. Clearly showing SORENESS. :howler:

·
18,041 Posts
again is always better than never bambino...he is only overhype (you like that fancy word nope, he) if you think of him as genius or awesome talnet, hee ain't but he is a very good player with a great carreer so far

·
18,041 Posts
Maxi used to come up with important goals for Atlético when the rest of our strikers had problems with the goalscoring. He's got an excellent shot, great working rate but I've never seen him as a natural winger. Sure, he may not dribble a lot but can still find openings in a the oppositions defences with good runs.

He's more of a supporting striker to me than winger and I like the his versatility.

As for him not being the same any longer; I still think he may be suffering from that horrendous injury against Spain, it may be something mentally. I'd say that it's a mixture of that and the fact that he's got a lot more responsability in defence than for an example Simão. That captains armband has never been any good, it wasn't very good to Torres and it's kind of forced Maxi to play a lot more defensive than we're wishing to see.

I'm used to see him play like this now, it's been a season now since I saw the real Maxi in action during a consistent period, he's still showing glimpses of his best sides, but it's obviously tougher for him to play more freely considering he's the one who should be taking responsability and I can't blame him for that.
Injuries have a weight of course and he had some awuful ones, but is more related to the ambard and that in the meantime other players earn the spotlight without it...more than anything is the problem of coaches and their idea of trying to have players that make 6 roles, with time many of those end not knowing what is his best role or what is expected from him...I saw it too many times...

in any case Maxi will allways be a great Robin, a great auxuliary wheel that has the capability of showing himself in the highest stage, but never a Batman sort of player...he doesn't have neither the talent, neither the brains to do it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts