Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy and Croatia have both won their friendly games today in one of the final tune ups to the World Cup.

Toyama Dreams 0
Croatia 4 (Niko Kovac 4, Davor Suker 44, Daniel Saric 72, Goran Vlaovic 92)

and....

Kashima Antlers 1 (Tomoyuki Hirase 53)
Italy 2 (Filippo Inzaghi 13, Christian Vieri 24)

So now they must have got a good idea of what to expect now in terms of climate etc. Gabemar, what friendlies have the Ecuadorians played in Japan? I hear they lost 1-0 to Senegal, what are your thoughts?

Any news on the Mexicans?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The truth is that Ecuaor disappoints us in the frindlies.An other draw with a team called Purple Sanga...But i think despite the bad results you must not underestimate them.They may take the results they want in the official matches...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MIKUNI, Japan, May 26 (AFP)
Result from a warm-up match for the World Cup finals between J-League Tokyo Verdy and Mexico here on Sunday:

Tokyo Verdy 0 Mexico 2 (Braulio Luna 7, Francisco Palencia 87)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I read that Mexico played a great game and should have scored more.

Italy had most of the ball, seemed a little sluggish and reserved, but kept their cool and finished the game with great confidence. Totti made an appearence after a long break and Insaghi came off injured, we don't know the extent of his injury.

Ecuador played a good first half, but slumped in the second.

Croatia;s first goal came from a thundering 22 meter volley by our Bavarian, N. Kovac. We outplayed our opponents in the first, creating good chances, and Suker slotted one in at the break. Our 4th goal came courtesy of Rapaic, who rolled over 4 players and did all the work in creating for Vlaovic, who neatly slotted into an empty net in the 90th. It comes as a great releif to us that our midfielders scored, Prosinecki had a good game and Boksic is training at nearly full power. He didn't play today.

All in all, group G seems set to live up to it's "second group of death" reputation, and these teams will explode onto your TV screens June 3rd.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I actually got it wrong, Mexico played a dismal game and the 2-0 scoreline doesn't do them justice. Theu coach, fans and media are very worried about their chances.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TOKYO, May 27 (AFP)
Italy's injured star striker Filippo Inzaghi is unlikely to be fit in time for Italy's opening World Cup match against Ecuador in a week, but should be able to play against Croatia, coach Giovanni Trapattoni said Monday.

"I don't think he will have to go home. His knee isn't swollen and he was in a good mood this morning," Trapattoni told reporters at the team's training camp in Sendai.

"He's unlikely to be ready for the first match (against Ecuador on June 3), but it's more likely that he'll be there five days later," for the Croatia tie on June 8, Trapattoni said.

Inzaghi sustained the knock to his left knee in the 29th minute of Sunday's friendly match against Kashima Antlers, which Italy won 2-1. It is a similar injury to one that kept him out for much of last season.

With the Italian media worrying that the AC Milan star could miss the tournament altogether if he is out of action for more than seven or 10 days, Inzaghi released his own statement through a Federcalcio official.

"The pain in my knee has eased and it is not swollen. After the scan result, I had a quiet night," he said.

Sunday's scan conducted at a Sendai hospital after the Azzurri returned to it base from the match in Tokyo had shown there was no "muscle damage", the Federcalcio official reminded reporters.

Trapattoni said that Inzaghi would remain at the team's hotel on Monday and Tuesday, where he would undergo treatment.

Separately, a spokesman for the Italian squad said that FIFA had conducted a random doping test on four players Monday.

Urine samples were collected from Inzaghi, Francesco Toldo, Fabio Cannevaro and Angelo Di Livio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts