Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's happened, Gregory, the man that spent 10 million euros for Bosko Balaban, only to have him sit on the bench, has given his resignation after board and fan discontent. Villa is curently 7th in the premier league, and their early exit from European competition (Varteks Varazdin outplaying Villa in both legs :D ) saw things turn downhill.

Maybe we'll see our Bosko make a couple of appearences, and if he does what he can, we might see him in good form for the WC.

I never liked Gregory.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Wow this is great news :)
I gotta agree with u Ero in that u never liked Gregory i think it would be hard to find someone that actually did :D

Hopefully Villa can appoint a coach that will give Bosko some oppurtunities to show that he was well worth the money Villa spent to bring him there. He is defintely better than Vassel and a striking partnership between him and Angel would only benefit Villa more :)

·
©
7,230 Posts
Bosko, Bosko...

I think that Angel and Vassell are doing a good job so the new manager will stick with them two. Bosko made the wrong move, just like every Cro that goes to England (except defenders). The style of play is a complete opposite to what Cro players are used to. He would do well to get out of there and find himself another club. Add Igor Biscan to that list aswell.:depress:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
lol, just to let you know, every1 in villa is sad that Gregory left... in fact, about 5-6 most fameous Villa players from past said that they were shocked and that it is all since chairman doesnt want to invest more in the squad... rest of the fans cant believe it either... So its not the fans or the board, its one main guy and he and gregory have been going at it for a while now.

Thats bad news for Villa supporters since it shows that chairman wont give more money for new players and because of that there is no way Villa will get prominent coach.

Hopefully, thats good news for Balaban, however keep in mind that both Vassel and Angel are currently their best players ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I've been following Villa closely since Balaban arrived, and Gregory was taking a lot of heat for the Balaban acquisition. People feel that if Balaban would have started and played well that Gregory would still be there. In general they felt he spent too much on Bosko. Then again, Ellis the chairman, didn't allow any money to be spent on new players. So the money that was spent on Balaban was blowing the whole load at once.

He will have a tough time cracking the first team because of Angel and Vass. Although, some people have suggested putting Vassell just behind a tandem of Balaban and Angel, since they are quicker. Who knows.

I don't necessarily believe that this new coach will be hot on Balaban. Actually, Gregory was probably Bosko's biggest supporter since his success was so vital to Gregory's image.

I still believe England is a mistake for him and Biscan. They get no respect there, and it's difficult to adjust to that style. Biscan will probably leave Liverpool soon since they have too many non-EU players. He's the odd man out. Besides he'll never be able to play his natural position there.

·
Registered
36,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, but if Gregory gave Balaban more of a chance, maybe he would have done very well. I can understand if Bosko has been playing heaps, and scoring none, but he hardly plays.

I was happy with that while Villa was hot, and playing good. But then they hit the slump, not scoring many and not winning in 8 straight appearences, I thought Gregory would surely make a change. I was wrong.

I can thee the boards point of view, he's not changing a bad formula.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If he would have been good enough, I think Gregory would have started him in that stretch. He was even performing poorly for the reserves. Gregory had no choice but to keep him on the bench.

That being said, Balaban did score a goal in has last reserve game, and by all accounts played very well. Another couple of good performances like that and he'll get some time. Perhaps not a start, but some second half time.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
lol ero, what bad forumula? everyone @ Villa considers Gregory as a sucessfull coach. Problem is that he wanted more than finishing top 6-7, but Ellis didnt want to cash out so he decided to move on.

I am not sure if new coach will appreciate Balaban as much as Gregory did... they might even unload him somewhere...;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
i must be the only guy who likes Gregory....the man has style...player for sure :)

Balaban obviously wasnt doing well in reserves because there was a time when Vassell was out injured and Dion Dublin was starting ahead of Bosko. Vassell is scoring again, Angel keeps scorig so it will be tough.....but jjjjjjjjebiga, what can u do? hopefully he can make a few appearances off the bench and bang in a goal here and there.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
grmph... let me quote from soccernet article:

"Villa chairman Doug Ellis suggested Gregory wanted to take a break from the game, but the fuming former boss said in a statement yesterday: 'I want to make it clear I resigned for personal reasons.

'I have been very happy during my four years at the club and thoroughly enjoyed the pressures of football management at the highest level.' "

"Gregory is believed to be on a weekend trip to New York with his wife to escape the media glare but Ellis faced condemnation from every faction of Villa's fan-base, with Dennis Mortimer, skipper of the club's 1982 European Cup-winning side, leading the calls for him to quit. "

"Mortimer said: 'The time has come for Ellis to stand down. Managers have come and gone and Villa have still won little."

"Villa Shareholders Association chairman Buck Chinn said: 'Ellis simply must go.

'It is an absolute shambles that we have lost a good, young manager like Gregory because he became fed up with interference from the chairman and lack of financial support."

Article:
http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2002/0126/20020126avfcgregory.html

So as I was saying... apperantly it was only ellis and ero who wanted gregory to go, so plz ero accept that fact ;-)))))

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I don't know if you guys caught the last thread about Serie A.

I was wondering if we could do the same with the English Premier League (It's still the first division).

It would be a great way to funnel posts and reduce the amount of clutter.

This would of course include talk of Croats there as well.

Topics such as Leeds apparent sobriety problem, Chelsea's "Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hide" complex, and Liverpool's sad state of affairs (Houllier I'm looking at you. You blockhead) and of course the topic above.

Cheers!

mates!

·
Registered
36,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spwolf,

I don't make any decisions as to where which coach goes, I personally disliked Gregory, am I the only one? I couldn't care less, I can state my opinion. My main gripe was his innabilty, or unwillingness, to change a stagnant formula after a run of shocking results, that saw them drop 7 places.

So my feelings are mere opionions, you must learn to take easy Spwolf, just accapt that opions do differ from yours, and that's ok. :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
lol, which is all fine, but you presented those opinions as if the whole world believed the same, and I just pointed out that most ppl @ Villa didnt... Its all right... we all try to protect croatian interests first and foremost, but sometimes we are just a bit too selfish

·
©
7,230 Posts
Angel to exit Villa?

The departure of Aston Villa manager John Gregory will almost certainly see Colombian striker Juan Pablo Angel follow him out of Villa Park at the end of the season.

Villa's record signing and top goalscorer had a troubled start to his career in England and was only able to overcome the difficulties with great help from Gregory.

Angel's form this season has been remarkable, especially when compared with his form of last season.

Now that his mentor has left the club, Angel's advisors are exploring the possibilities of a move to Italy or Spain, claiming that Villa still owe them money as part of the original £9.5million ($A26.1million) deal.

Another player who looks likely to leave Villa soon is Bosco Balaban.

The highly-rated Croatian hasn't adapted to the intensity and pace of Premier League football and the Villa board is losing patience while waiting for him to 'come good'.

The sale of the two players would bring in around £14million ($A38.5million) that could then be given to the man who will replace Gregory as manager.

Former Leicester City boss, Peter Taylor is the favourite at the moment, after Louis van Gaal refused to hold talks with Villa this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts