Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next couple of days Paul Le Guen will starting the Marathon des sables (Marathon of the sand) race whic is a 7 day, 240 km ultramarathon, which is an equivalent of about a full marathon run every day. Which sounds hard enough as it is - but as it's ran across the Sahara desert with competitors having to run up an down sand dunes all the time, in temperatures of over a 100 degrees during the day then it's easy to see why it's considered one of the toughest endurance races on Earth.

The competitors must carry all personal belongings and food for the entire event in their rucksack and it's not unusual for racers to get lost in a sandstorm and go missing for a few days. So hopefully nothing bad happens to le gaffer and he makes it through safely :thumbsup:

progress can be followed @
http://www.darbaroud.com/uk/index_uk.php#

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Lol, let's hope PLG is making a return to the Jock Wallace era of training. Some of these lightweights won't know what has hit them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It's tangerine TSC. Reminds me, I watched one of the European games last week and the team had another one of those pitches with the grass cut to look like a sash. Couldn't believe it when it wasn't reported in the sun the next day.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I agree. Mr Le Guen better check out his wardrope before he moves to Glasgow and remove all offensive clothing. This is the environment in which we live. Were those overhead pics taken from the UEFA helicopter which will be tracking his every more now? ;)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.darbaroud.com/fr/html/mds/21mds/portrait/21mds_portrait_20060413.php

Paul Le Guen (355), humble footballer

He’s played for France and PSG, was champion of Europe and as a football coach he’s taken Olympique Lyonnais to victory at the French championships more than once. But here Paul Le Guen is a simple runner among hundreds of others and he’s suffering in the same way. In fact that’s exactly what he was looking for : « an adventure with mates, in the desert ». As a member of the Legendre Bretagne team , he’s not short on moral support and is performing well in the race despite foot problems. “I admire those that are really running the race, they’re true athletes, but I also admire all those who’re hanging on, who just want to finish … people like me. The Marathon des Sables is one of the few competitions where you find both categories.” Paul Le Guen is a man of few words so you tend to pay attention when he says: “It’s a week that marks you, for sure… ».

1 - 17 of 17 Posts