Xtratime Community banner

Should Fifa continue with the golden goal?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 80.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a question for all of you. Should the FIFA continue with the golden goal rule, or do you think the whole 30 minutes should be played. Please vote, and tell me your reason.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I don't like this golden goal rule.

JUst remember teh FA cup final in 89. Liveropol x Everton at Wembley. ONe of the greatest FA cup xtratime of all time.

The EVerton midfielder (i think it was Stuart McCall) scored with 2 minutes to go to draw teh game. The game qwent to xtratime and Ian Rush scored for Liverpool. Then McCall hit again for everton. And at teh end Rushie went here and scored teh winner for Liverpool. Simply classic stuff.

THe golden goal ends all this nerve biting excitment!:mad:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The Golden Goal sux!

I don't like the Golden Goal either. But I believe it's already over; I seem to remember FIFA isn't going to use it anymore after this World Cup.

I think it was decided last year, but it didn't apply to this WC because they didn't want to change the rules on such short notice. But as I understand it, in the upcoming Copa America and Euro Cup the extra-times won't have 'golden goals'. Good riddance to bad rubbish! ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I like the Golden Goal in theory because it's intent was to try and encourage teams to play during the overtime periods instead of farting around for 30 minutes waiting for PKs. They want to provide insentive to get the winning goal.

In practice, it's not bad except for the times when the goal comes two minutes into overtime and the game is over. The Turkey-Senegal match is good example. A good example of the golden goal working is the Italy-Korea match where they fought it hard for nearly 30 minutes and then Korea stuck in the winner. That had all the makings of excitement.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ze da Fiel said:
I don't like this golden goal rule.

JUst remember teh FA cup final in 89. Liveropol x Everton at Wembley. ONe of the greatest FA cup xtratime of all time.

The EVerton midfielder (i think it was Stuart McCall) scored with 2 minutes to go to draw teh game. The game qwent to xtratime and Ian Rush scored for Liverpool. Then McCall hit again for everton. And at teh end Rushie went here and scored teh winner for Liverpool. Simply classic stuff.

THe golden goal ends all this nerve biting excitment!:mad:
Yeah, I think that everybody loves these kind of scenario's that Ze described. I hate the fact that one team can kill of the game with one single attack. You don't have the opportunity to make up your mistake as a team because the game is over immediately.

I simply hate the golden goal rule :mad:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
The Golden Goal rule is definitely hurting football.

It restricts the tactical options of a manager, and it reduces the excitement for the fans. I'm sure that the players hate it, too (Except Ahn, Ilhan, Bierhoff, Blanc, etc), and it makes them resort to defensive play. If a player scores a golden goal, is he treated dissimilarly to a player scoring a non-GG goal in ET? No. If a player makes a mistake that leads to a goal, is he treated dissimilarly if it's GG, or not? Yes.

FIFA will continue to use the golden goal until at least 2006, and UEFA will until 2004. After the 2006 World Cup, the FIFA executive panel (8 members, 1 from each of the British nations, 1 from each other major continent), will make a decision on whether to continue.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Well I feel that the golden goal is about as good a thing as you can have really. I am not saying it is perfect, but I can't thing of any alternatives.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I saw footage of the 1970 WCSF between Italy and West Germany where it was 35 degrees celsius heat or something and 3 or 5 goals were scored in extra-time - it absolutely killed the players but it was good to watch.

Basically FIFA brought it in to avoid a repeat of that awful WC94 final between Italy and Brazil where spot-luck decided team sport's greatest prize.

What do you do?? ... Encourage teams to go for gold so it's at least settled with a goal from open play or watch a game of kickabout between both back-4's for half an hour until it's a 50/50 shot a glory where the players who miss are scarred for the rest of their careers?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I'm against the Golden Goal rule aswell!

I think it destroys the Xtratime (;)). The two teams won't attack, because the fact that if the other team scores they'll be the winners. So it'll be two teams playing careful and defensive :depress:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think the Golden Goal is right.
First, I believe players are already too tired to keep on playing. Also, it may happen that they have to go to penalties, like it happened in the Spain-Korea match (omg, such an unfair match!), and in that situation, I think they are really really tired because they played 2 hours with almost no stop!
Second, I agree, players are treated really badly if they make a mistake that leads to a golden goal, but if it's in the normal time, they normally aren't treated so bad...
There are probably other reasons why I don't like the Golden Goal, but I don't remember, sorry

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
A few years ago (and im not making this up, i swear!), FIFA were thinking about changing the Golden goal to a "Silver" goal (the name sux, just bare with me).

The idea is that the extra time is played through 30 minutes, but whoever scores first has an advantage, similar to that of an "away" goal. So basically, if team A scores first in extra time, they will win the match with a draw, the other team needs to win!

Very confusing it was. While winning by "drawing" seems unfair, thats basically what has happened numerous times by the away goal rule in European club football competitions.

Going back to this question, like Dae said, in theory, the Golden goal adds alot of excitement to the game and supposadly encourages attacking football, but that hasn't been the case in reality. The idea was to let the teams go and try to win the match instead of playing cautious and reaching the dreaded PKs. But the result was teams became more cautious of that one crucial mistake that would cost them the match.

Therefor, I am against it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts