Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, DZ is back and more Serbian than ever (didn't think it was possible). Decided to drop the J and start over ;)

Anyhow, enough about me....let us get back to the topic of discussion which is our Golden Generation boys. Yes, the boys who won the U-19 euro and U-20 World Cup.

What will this thread cover and what is the core purpose? Well, it will cover mostly updates on the players from our youth generations. The core purpose is to see the progression of our players and how they mature over the years. As we already have seen with our current generation that talent doesn't always translate to success in sports and life in general. We made consecutive semi's and finals with our U-19 and U-20 generation previously and only received in return a few world class players. That's how it goes.
This time, I see a difference in this generation. I see structure, teamwork, immense talent, and great coaching.

Starting with our soon to be legendary coach, Veljko Paunovic, we see that many times it takes a lot more than having a lot of talented players in one team. For example, our very own Serbian, coach Gregg Popovich, has been at the helm of sports for decades. The San Antonio Spurs are the most successful sports team in America. Why? Gregg Popovich. He's the genius behind every play. He's the genius behind scouting which players fit in his system. He's the genius that develops scrubs and uses their attributes to turn them into world class players. His tactics are unparalleled and San Antonio owes all their success to him. We've always had talent in football and basketball but the huge difference between the two is that our basketball team has some of the best coaches in the world. We breed the best basketball coaches in the world. However, in football, our coaches are the bottom of the bottom. I won't talk about Miha because I don't want Mare to write me a book on how Miha is the best blowjob giver in Serie A. No sir, I will not have it Mare. However, is it a coincidence that the best coach we've had in 2 decades was also the most successful. Yes, you guessed it! Antic is the man I am referring to. Like Popovich, he found a way to turn our weaknesses into strengths and our strengths into greater strengths. Sadly, we had a horrible generation of strikers (one that is hopefully ending with this upcoming Golden Generartion). However, Antic realized that we had some really good wingers who could wreak havoc on defenders and a big ol giraffe of a striker in Zigic. We were scoring goals like it was nothing and our players actually seemed like they knew where to be on the pitch and how to function as a unit. This is something that had completely been missing in the years post Antic's reign. Anyhow, enough of nostalgia. I mention Antic because I see a lot of his qualities in Paunovic. Here's where it gets better! Paunovic is also a more disciplined coach than Antic was. Despite having a World Class defense under Antic, we weren't disciplined in the back at all. This is a positive mark for Paunovic who did well with our U-20 team and really made them respect him and believed in his system. Secondly, I think a lot of our players will respect Paunovic. He's an authoritative individual who is also fun to be around and because of his young age, the players can relate to him a lot more. I also love that Paunovic is wanting to learn more and more about the game and continue on the path to glory (hoping leading Serbia to some of that glory as well).

At this point, I have nothing against Curcic, but he has to go. He's not the coach we need. I watched the game today against Albania and it was abysmal. I understand that our only decent central midfielder was Matic who was forced to do a lot more than he is accustomed to and even so, he did a brilliant job today. However, the rest of our midfield was lost, dazed and confused. It's understandable given the pressure but it was a poor job by Curcic in the lack of preparation for these type of matches. Albania was constantly waiting for our midfield to mess up and turn the ball over so they could quickly counter-attack us. Thankfully, the quality of their players is pathetic. Albanians wore themselves out and Serbia countered in extra time to go up 2 goals to nil in minutes. A win that would never cease to exist if it wasn't for such a poor opponent. Like his recent predecessors, Curcic has no idea how to employ tactics in the midfield. Our players we slow to give up the ball and they kept passing the ball back towards the defenders and goalkeepers. It seems like we didn't learn anything from the Miha days. Regardless, I think it's obvious that all of us want Paunovic at helm so I will not waste further time. It's time to announce the NEW GEN:

U-20 World Cup

Predrag RAJKOVIC
Andrija ZIVKOVIC
Nemanja ANTONOV
Marko GRUJIC
Vanja MILINKOVIC-SAVIC
Sasa ZDJELAR
Stanisa MANDIC
Miladin STEVANOVIC
Radovan PANKOV
Nemanja MAKSIMOVIC
Sergej MILINKOVIC-SAVIC
Ivan SAPONJIC
Srdan BABIC
Stefan MILOSEVIC
Mijat GACINOVIC
Vukasin JOVANOVIC
Milan GAJIC
Milos VELJKOVIC
Stefan ILIC
Filip JANKOVIC

*Stanisa Mandic--nuff said. His name is not worthy of mention from here on out.

The players that I highlighted are the ones that I think have a very good chance to have a brilliant career. Now, I can sit here and talk about each player for an hour, but I think it's fairly obvious that each of these players possess a lot of potential and I wouldn't be surprised seeing any of these players playing world a world class club like Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man United, etc.

Ah, what the hell, I'll give a brief summary of the highlighted players for old times sake :musik:

The players that stand out to me the most are:

Andrija Zivkovic

I think he has immense potential. Since the U-20 World Cup, he's been on an absolute tear for Partizan. He's been scoring and assisting all the goals for Partizan in Europe and was voted player of the round last week in Europa League. He's also done really well for our A-team recently and I think he will cement that starting position for the next cycle of qualification. It's his to lose. My worry, I hope he doesn't go straight to a big club like Chelsea or Atletico Madrid. This could potentially end his career as we've seen with even bigger talents in the past. I hope he goes to Holland or Germany because his style would really fit in either of those leagues. I think he'd do well anywhere really but the smaller the league, the better. In fact, even Belgium would be nice if he could get some CL exposure.

Predrag Rajkovic

First quality goalkeeper in a really really really really long time! Not to take anything away from the self-proclaimed greatest goalkeeper in Europe, Vladimir Stojkovic, but Rajkovic is a class act. He performs well under pressure. He knows how to position himself for free-kicks and he doesn't have lapses every couple of games. He's very consistent and I love that he didn't go straight to a big club like Chelsea and become 3rd string goalkeeper until they have demoralized his confidence and loaned him out to a feeder club. Very few players get out of that depression. I'll just go ahead and say it now: I think he is going to be a world class keeper. He seems to have the right attitude, work rate, and maturity to succeed. Let us hope that his path gets easier from here on ought because we will really need him for the next 2 decades :thumbsup:

Nemanja Antonov

The second coming of Kolarov. He's extremely strong, tall, and technically skilled. His recent performance for the U-21's was terrific. He really reminds me of Kolarov in the way he dribbles past players using his strength and savvy skills. His a great crosser of the ball and is even a better defensive prospect that Kolarov--who I always thought was a in a weird mix of being between a left back and a left winger. Unlike Kolarov, he's more adapt and confident in the position he plays. I think he will pan out to be great as well. Most left backs are fragile and quick nowadays and like Kolarov and Bane, I think Antonov will be able to use his strength to consistently be a nuisance for opposing teams. I would love to see him go to Serie A or to Holland where I think he can make an instant impact for a mid-level club like Fiorentina or Twente for example.

Marko Grujic

Love this kid. He's composed, tall, strong, and isn't afraid to have the ball in midfield. He doesn't panic like most of our A-team midfielders. He's been Zvezda's best player this season, IMO because he does so well in midfield. A very underrated player who has great vision and ball control. I don't think he's a caliber of a potential world class player but he can be one hell of a player for fairly large club. He gels very well with Sergej and Maksimovic.

Vanja Milinkovic-Savic

So, I'll state the obvious. HUGE mistake transferring to Man United before turning 18. I think he's a massive talent when it comes to goalkeepers and rivals Rajkovic but I think it will take a lot of courage from him now to achieve his maximum potential. With De Gea at helm at Man United, he will never start. He'll be going to some feeder clubs for the next couple of years and I don't think it will do well for his confidence rather than making a small step first. Anyhow, he's tall, agile, and does just about everything well. He can confidently put the ball on the ground and dictate play. I think, at the end of the day, he's going to at least be a starting goal keeper for a club like Genoa or Fiorentina and then at his maximum potential, I could see him being a world class goalkeeper. However, I see him being somewhere in the middle. Possibly Inter Milan or Borussia Dortmund....something along those lines.

Sasa Zdjelar

Out of all the players so far, I think he's the weakest link. I know that he does most of the dirty work and that he's a well rounded midfielder, but I see a lot of elements missing from his game and personal life. I think he's going to be a very decent player and have a solid career. I definitely think he will be in our A-team rotation for many years to come. He's a more talented version of Zdravko Kuzmanovic--who was a very limited player, in my opinion. Saying all this, I really like what he brings to our team and he's one of those guys that goes unnoticed all game but he does a lot of running and is a composed midfielder. He releases the ball quickly and works well with all our other midfielders.

Nemanja Maksimovic

Love, love, love this kid. I think he's everything that Gojko Kacar was. He's a gritty and tough midfielder who has a knack for scoring goals due to his excellent finishing and superb composure. I love what he can bring to our team. He's the type of midfielder that would work perfectly with Matic and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. He's the midfielder that we currently lack in our A-team who can take the ball from deep in midfield and push forward. He's great on counter attacks and runs like a horse. I think he's going to be a superb player. His work rate is excellent, and he has a very mature aspect to him. He's another player that I think could do well in Germany, Italy and even England. Love that he went to a smaller tier club instead of going to a mega club. I look forward to his progression.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

Apart from Zivkovic, this is my favorite player from our Golden Generation. He may not be the fastest guy on the pitch but he sure knows how to put on a show with his excellent technique. He's a tall and lanky central midfielder who can also crack one from outside and does a brilliant job spreading the field and finding our players on the wings. His long balls are some of the best I've seen since Deki in his prime. His technique is very similar to Matic's in the way that he uses his height and strength to get by players and he also has brilliant dribbling skills. I think he's going to light up Serie A as soon as next year. I would be really surprised if he doesn't end up playing for a club like Chelsea one day. He's pretty much the second coming of Matic with more versatility in his game. I question his work ethic at times and his conditioning has been poor for years but then again he played a lot of minutes for our U-20 team and while he did gas out towards the end, he was our main playmaker from midfield who did a lot of running back and forth. Anyhow, once again, Love that he played for a big club in a small league like Belgium where he had a lot of exposure in Europe which netted him a transfer to Lazio where everyone in the organization oozes over him. He is one of Paunovic's favorite guys. Expect to see him against Portugal in the upcoming fixture :smileani:.

Ivan Saponjic and Luka Jovic

I feel bad for Jovic because he's the same talent as Saponjic, yet, his injury kept him sidelined from the tournament. I think the U-20 world cup would have done wonders for his progression but it's ok there's plenty of more tournaments to look forward to! Anyhow, these two guys have been an unstoppable duo when they play together. They consistently score goals for their respective clubs and collectively for the NT. IMO, Jovic is the bigger talent here who is a cross between Pancev and Falkao. Jovic has excellent technique, great dribbling, holds up the ball well, and is a great playmaker as well. I find a hard time finding someone from our previous generations who had a similar style of play. Did I mention that he's strong as hell? He's well built for a kid and has good genetics. He's going to one hell of a player some day. My only trouble with him is that he's not a great finisher at this point in his career. I think Maksimovic is even more composed in front of the goal than him. Then again, he did brilliantly recently for the U-21's where he scored a hat-trick and was extremely composed including the ice in his veins during the penalty kick. If he doesn't become the best forward that Serbia has had since the break-up of Yugoslavia then I will be shocked. Now, for the guy whose name is highlighted, Saponjic, is a brilliant finisher. He's one of the best we've ever had. He's extremely composed in front of goal and his headers are spot on--rivaling Mitroglu's. I think his main weaknesses right now are that he's too frail and gets pushed off the ball easily, doesn't pass as well as Jovic and Mitrovic, and he's a little too cocky for my liking. These are a few red flags that makes me question his future. However, if both Jovic and Saponjic pan out, there's no doubt in my mind that Saponjic will amass more goals in his career. He's just a much better goalscorer and has a talent for finishing. This is something that we've lacked for many many years. I would love to see Mitrovic-Jovic and/or Jovic-Saponjic in the A-team in the near future. I think they complement each other really well. This is something that excites me more than any of the other players. It's ok if Zivkovic and Sergje-Milinkovic Savic flop because we have plenty of midfielders who are upcoming and will be great. If Jovic and Saponjic don't pan out then we have to count on the 99 and 2000 generation (where there is some immense talent in the striker position---but I will get to that eventually :musik:). So, it's safe to say that Serbia's hope relies on these two young guys more than any of the other talents listed.

Srdjan Babic

Babic, much like his partner, Jovanovic, is an excellent central defender. He is extremely tall (think Pique) but is well composed and hardly found out of position. Due to his height, teams rely on trying to out pace Babic but he's very intelligent and you'll rarely see him get out of position. Unlike Vidic, considering Babic's height, I don't think he will have a problem guarding smaller and faster players in the near future. I look forward to seeing his progression in Spain because I think that's the perfect league for him where tall defenders like him can manage well and not get exposed like he possibly would in England. Again, love that he chose a mid-table club.

Vukasin Jovanovic

To me, he reminds me a lot of Vidic. He's rough, composed, and doesn't panic when the midfield passes the ball back to him. Like Babic, he is tall, 6'2, but rarely gets caught out of position. He's been doing well for Zvezda and I think he will probably be the next central defender that gets called up to the A-team. I personally think that our future defense will be comprised of a Vlalukin-Jovanovic partnership. Vlalukin is a Partizan player from the 99' generation. I will talk about him later in this thread but he is an immense talent in defense. Partizan fans have been raving about him since he was 14. He is a shorter version of Vidic who can actually play DM as well due to his excellent technique and dribbling. Anyhow, Jovanovic is a big talent for me in defense and I think he will be pairing up with Bane for the next set of qualifiers. Hopefully, he goes to a smaller club after Zvezda and slowly rises.

Milan Gajic

He has a little bit of a stupid face (as I like to call it) but there's nothing stupid when it comes to his game. He's not as expressive as Antonov because he's not as skilled technically as him but he does well going forward and he specializes more at being a DR rather than a right wing-back but that doesn't mean that he doesn't like to go up the pitch and throw in a great cross every once in a while. Serbia has always been short at the RB position so I really hope he pans out. He's been playing well for Bordeaux in France and consistently starts. I think he's got a bright future. Something about him makes me think that he will be consistent for his club and NT in the future. He's also notoriously famous for scoring and incredible own-goal last year so it doesn't help his stupid face outlook haha

Gacinovic

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't think he will be a great player. He's a great playmaker and is fast and turns well like Tosic but that's just biggest weakness....HE'S small as hell. He's weak and gets thrown off the ball just like Tosic does. He's too lanky and weak to be a starter in any of the big 5 leagues at the moment and unfortunately for him he's in Germany currently. I think it will take too long for him to adapt and get stronger and it will ruin his confidence. If I had to take a guess, I'd say he's going to be a flop and at best, he will be a player like Tosic except he won't get called up to the NT because we have way better prospects in his position. I think he's the odd ball out in this generation and really he only has his genetics to blame, unfortunately.

Milos Veljkovic

Again, another tall and strong center back for Serbia. We are sort of notorious in the world of football for producing these types of centre backs. I think he needs to get the hell out of England as soon as possible if he wants to develop his game and have a good career. He's just not ready for the EPL and I don't think he's willing to accept it. Because of that, I think he will be a flop in the long run but will be a serviceable player for our NT. He's been a huge talent since the early days and deserves to be in the NT until the U-21 cycle is over and then we will see what he has chosen to do with his career.

Well, that sums it up for now as I will move on to the current U-19's, U-17's and a few others even younger tomorrow. This is the first time in a really long time where we have multiple talents in each position and then our current A-team has some really good young guys that I like a lot like Mitrovic, Kostic, Ljajic, Gudelj and even Nastasic who I think is a very good player and has had a bad run of luck with injuries recently. I haven't been this excited our NT since the Antic days so let us hope that we move forward and can escape the wrath of the mafia in our FA and finally live up to our potential of the success that we have had in the youth NT's!

SRBIJA!!!!

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
The glorious comeback! :proud:

And what timing too!

PS Left the forum ijekavski, came back stronger, ekavski. :strong:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
:proud:

You weren't joking when you messaged me this morning :howler: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome back DZ!
:musik:

The glorious comeback! :proud:

And what timing too!

PS Left the forum ijekavski, came back stronger, ekavski. :strong:
:heart:

It feels good to be back during a bright time in Serbian football (or at least I hope it will be). Can't really see how they can fuck up this generation.
Also glad that we are doing well in other sports like basketball, water polo, volleyball and tennis of course. My neighbors (and GF) still don't like me because of Nole :):proud:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You weren't joking when you messaged me this morning :howler: :thumbsup:
Besides Djokovic, I've been put off by our sports teams in recent times. Water Polo has been doing amazingly but they aren't popular world wide and nobody follows the club teams. Basketball is finally on the rise (despite the lack of talent flowing in the new 5 years or so :frownani:) but we have a great coach and a solid foundation of a team. A lot of above average players who are nowhere near star quality but they get the job done. As for football, this is probably our brightest time since the break up of Yugoslavia. I think the mafia FA know better than to mess this generation up.
So, I'm here to stay my friends

Oh and fuck Markus Marin for old times sake :proud:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Your old ijekavski account is still banned therefore you by opening a new ekavski account leads to permanent ban. :coffee:

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Your old ijekavski account is still banned therefore you by opening a new ekavski account leads to permanent ban. :coffee:
Uh oh.

·
Gorgeous
247 Posts
Water Polo has been doing amazingly but they aren't popular world wide and nobody follows the club teams. As for football, this is probably our brightest time since the break up of Yugoslavia.
If you want all those water titles mean something you must win gold in Rio, otherwise nobody would care, especially now when Hungary and Croatia are declining.

Football is the hardest sport to deal with. In WC 2010 you were potential dark horse, now your not even horse.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want all those water titles mean something you must win gold in Rio, otherwise nobody would care, especially now when Hungary and Croatia are declining.

Football is the hardest sport to deal with. In WC 2010 you were potential dark horse, now your not even horse.
Not for the upcoming euros but we got a fairly easy group for WC 2p18 and depending on how quickly our youth generation is integrated to the senior NT, we might cause some upsets in 2018.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
My friend, we are all communists here
Let us rejoice in freedom and prosperity

I don't know how it all works but were you permanently banned from this site or banned for X months due to multiple accounts?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
:musik:

:heart:

It feels good to be back during a bright time in Serbian football (or at least I hope it will be). Can't really see how they can fuck up this generation.
Also glad that we are doing well in other sports like basketball, water polo, volleyball and tennis of course. My neighbors (and GF) still don't like me because of Nole :):proud:

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Welcome back DZ, hope you behave this time. Anyways, interesting that you don't rate Zdjelar who I believe is one of the most impressive players from our golden U20 generation.

Also, next time post the 'golden' players in gold as opposed to yellow, as it's much easier on the eye. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know how it all works but were you permanently banned from this site or banned for X months due to multiple accounts?
I have no idea man. I got banned when I was 18 which was like 4 or 5 odd years ago.

True, this qualification was an utter fail but I think we are on the rise after winning the u-20 world cup and we have a good chance to repeat that success with the u-21's. I think we have a decent group for the WC which will allow us to experiment more with some younger players. Our golden generation players will be 22-23 years old by the time WC 2018 rolls around which is a great experience for them if we can qualify. Like it was mentioned, I still think there's some quality in the squad with likes of Mitrovic, Ljajic, Kostic, Tadic and Matic even who is only 26 and will surely end his NT career at the next WC if we qualify.
We can't count out guys like L. Markovic, Djuricic, Nastasic and if he wants to play for us, Subotic--I really don't blame him considering how shitty our FA has been and all the corruptions and failures and new coaches every 6 months it's a little ridiculous. If Subotic reignited his career at Liverpool now that Klopp is there and if Paunovic takes reign, I could see him coming back to the NT and I hope our fans keep our arms open for him like we did for Matic. Currently, with the transition from old Gen to new gen, we are lacking quality at CB and need experienced players to take over for Bane. Personally, I hope Nastasic comes back healthy and we pair him up with Vukasin Jovanovic.

you finally mature?
I'd sure like to think so considering it's been 5 years since I was 18 :)

Welcome back DZ, hope you behave this time. Anyways, interesting that you don't rate Zdjelar who I believe is one of the most impressive players from our golden U20 generation.

Also, next time post the 'golden' players in gold as opposed to yellow, as it's much easier on the eye. :)
Thanks buddy :)

I do rate Zdjelar a lot just don't see star potential in him. Again, I think he's more of that quiet guy who does a lot of the unnoticed work. I think he will definitely be in the NT in the near future but we have a lot of talent coming through in midfield. He will probably be pushed to second or even third string in the long run. Still, it's always great having depth in midfield.

Yeah, I was actually looking for gold and couldn't find it :drunk: :)

·
Ne oprastam
12,643 Posts
Just keep her away from Lance.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
1 - 20 of 105 Posts