Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just talked to someone about this a few days ago.

This depends on what type of culture you are brought up in, but do you think that couples should have a more or less equal standing in academic/career achievement, or are such standards just some outmoded form of thinking that should have no bearing on the relationship?

Men: Are you intimidated by a woman's intelligence or by extremely career-minded women?

Will you date or even marry a girl who has far better academic qualifications and who holds a better-paying, more prestigious job than you do? Will you feel emasculated in the relationship? (be honest ;))

Women: Will you date or marry a man who has far worse academic qualifications and who holds a lesser-paying, much less prestigious job than you do?

Have you had men who were seemingly interested in you but then back off because they feel inferior to you?

Thoughts please. :)

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
This depends on what type of culture you are brought up in, but do you think that couples should have a more or less equal standing in academic/career achievement, or are such standards just some outmoded form of thinking that should have no bearing on the relationship?

Men: Are you intimidated by a woman's intelligence or by extremely career-minded women?

Will you date or even marry a girl who has far better academic qualifications and who holds a better-paying, more prestigious job than you do? Will you feel emasculated in the relationship? (be honest ;))
That are two different things. On the one hand I'm extremely attracted to women that are more intelligent than i am.

Extremely career-minded women are a big no though. I don't think it has anything to do with feeling emasculated. I just don't like people who are like that in general. I feel people that focus soo much on their career have their priorities all wrong.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Re: Re: Going Against "Convention"

gOD said:
I feel people that focus soo much on their career have their priorities all wrong.
I couldn't agree more..

As for the question, no, I am not intimidated by intelligence. Infact, I embrace the fact that women are infinitely more intelligent creatures than men willingly and enthusiastically... ;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
As far as the question goes- I'm only turned off by lack of intelligence. On academic provess... I've done rather well. So has my girlfriend. I'm very secure and happy with that :). I've never been in a relationship where I felt overmatched in that sense, so I can't say. I have been in terms of maturity (still is I suppose :D), but that was a natural consequence of being quite a few years younger, paired with the fact that men are simply more immature than women- emotionally and otherwise.

I have absolutely nothing against carrier minded women/very successfull women either. If she will be the one supporting my less than labourous nature- excellent :D!!

As with so many other issues- it all rests on whether you can find time for eachother, and respect the other for what he/she is doing. If there's no respect nor dedication... or insufficient ammounts of either... then what's the point?

If I was to feel like a semi-permanent second priority to some work- then it wouldn't be for me. If I thought my (hypothetic) money piling girlfriend looked down her nose at my (less hypothetic) decision to nerd around a and try and write a book... that wouldn't be for me either.

But I certainly think one should feel free to pursue ones aspirations. Be they academic or otherwise professional. Such features do not turn me off. Rather the contrary.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:

Women: Will you date or marry a man who has far worse academic qualifications and who holds a lesser-paying, much less prestigious job than you do?

Have you had men who were seemingly interested in you but then back off because they feel inferior to you?

1. if i'm in love why not. I don't care about money

2. No because it's almost impossible:howler:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
No, I actually gravitate towards women with confidence and intelligence. A lack thereof is a turnoff. Meanwhile, I don't much care for the self-proclaimed "professionals" for whom their careers are their lives, not because they intimidate me, but rather because I think their priorities are wrong.

But I think like that about people in general. I'd rather be around someone intelligent, even if they are more intelligent me, than someone who isn't very bright, and I think that people that take their careers too seriously can't be taken seriously.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Tim said:
But I think like that about people in general. I'd rather be around someone intelligent, even if they are more intelligent me, than someone who isn't very bright, and I think that people that take their careers too seriously can't be taken seriously.
Not that it equals intelligence, but ressearch shows that people today tend to marry someone who has more or less the same educational degree.

·
Registered
859 Posts
MOre inteligent women than me I could handle, but not the career-minded woman. But I admit I prefer a woman as inteligent as myself, neither stupid or much smarter than me.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Either will do for me :)

That doesn't meanthat just anyone would do though! I know alot of really nice people who are not academically gifted - or have never been to college or university - yet they live a virtuous life, have a nice heart and are thoughtful and caring towards other people. On the other hand I know alot of highly educated people with lots of qualifications who are stuck up their own arses and think of no-one but themselves. So in that respect intelligence isn't really a priority.

As for a 'career women'....it wouldn't be an issue either way, as long as the relationship was good.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Tim said:
If this paragraph wasn't a quote,it would be my own words...;)

Generally there are many reasons that people who focus too much in their carreers exist,such as lack of other interests or most of the times they are not such intelligent....People who are practical and always work with program are not so intelligent..(as in every rule,the are always some exceptions).

On the question,i (will) never feel unconfortable to be with a woman who has "far better academic qualifications" or is more intelligent than me.

The opposite thing,would make me a bit unconfotable...And of course,i don't mean a woman with "worse-paying,none-prestigious job" but a stupid one.;)

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
any woman who's smarter than I am and who will go out with me does so for only one reason, and that is to experience the ole biscione...which is fine by me, I'm not looking to discuss Plato's Republic or whether index funds are better than mutual funds

·
Administrator
29,829 Posts
I admire independence and Inteligence to a extreme so i would not bother (and actually stupidy bore me and I would never like someone who would laugh of a not so funny joke i just made ) to have anywhere near me someone inteligent enough. As for Academic qualification - I would not care much , as I think it is a matter of status not inteligence.
Having best paid, more sucessful...Wonderful, I care little for this. but someone who is so devoted to career all the time would be not as good, for it would just make harder to be with the person.
But mostly those things are just a matter of adaptation and really liking the girl...

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Well A man who is turned off by a smart woman, probably is a very dumb guy and has had terrible expierence with intelligent girls, but sometimes some babes focus in what they are really good to hide or compensate for their weaknesses, so you will find a woman as ugly as Janet Reno probably thinking that man dont find her hot because she is incredibly succesful. (come on she is butt ugly and her amount of success aint big enough to make her sexy :D )

So if a succesfull person man or woman, arent able to find or be involve in a good relationship, probably it´s their fault since they haven´t been capable to maintain their amount of success while finding ways of having a steady love life.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts

gOD said:
That are two different things. On the one hand I'm extremely attracted to women that are more intelligent than i am.

Extremely career-minded women are a big no though. I don't think it has anything to do with feeling emasculated. I just don't like people who are like that in general. I feel people that focus soo much on their career have their priorities all wrong.
I am boring and have to agree on this one.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I agree with gOD as well. ;)

Career minded people in general turn me off, but I like intelligent people. When people are more intelligent than me, I'm cool with it.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
My lovely wife is one of the smartest people I know, except for her decision to marry me ;) and I admire her independence, a high maintenance woman is not attractive to me at all.

I can't imagine dating a "dumb" girl :yuck: In my nightmares I am dating Jessica Simpson :eek:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts

gOD said:

Oh... to clarify on my initial post. I think there's more to A&K's question than just the issue of a woman (or man) being very 'carrier minded'. That easily takes a negative connotation, because one could think of such a woman in the way that she's consumed by her work and let's everything else take second stage.

But there was also the issue in A&K's post as to whether one, as a man, would feel emasculated by a woman being much more SUCCESSFULL in her professional life than one self.
That does not have to mean that she'd necessarily be any more bent on her carrier than her partner. Only that she'd be more successfull (for instance in terms of making more money).

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
How about this girls who are hardcore bodybuilders they cnhange their bodies, almost looking like man, can we consider them carrier oriented woman? I mean they make their Career the number 1 thing in their life.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Going Against "Convention"

Glen said:
Oh... to clarify on my initial post. I think there's more to A&K's question than just the issue of a woman (or man) being very 'carrier minded'. That easily takes a negative connotation, because one could think of such a woman in the way that she's consumed by her work and let's everything else take second stage.

But there was also the issue in A&K's post as to whether one, as a man, would feel emasculated by a woman being much more SUCCESSFULL in her professional life than one self.
That does not have to mean that she'd necessarily be any more bent on her carrier than her partner. Only that she'd be more successfull (for instance in terms of making more money).
True on that issue I had a discussion lately with some people, whether if I were in a relationship and we had children (and the money for it) it would be an option that I would be the one who stayed home to look after them and do the housework. Actually I'd lovbe to do that while my girlfriend would have the professional career.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts