Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we are discussing the masters, how about arguably the greatest French filmaker of them all (with appologies to Marcel Pagnol, Rene Clair, Francois Truffaut, Robert Bresson and Jaques Prevert, of course ;))? While he has somewhat retreated into an old age of contrarian solipsism, chasing his tail in an endless circle, as it were, he has rarely made a film that is not worth watching. My personal favorites are Bande a Part, Weekend, La Chinoise and Vivre Sa Vie. Anybody else an admirer of his work?

RIO

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
anytime i watch godard interviews, i'm impressed by his way to talk about cinema, tv or simply when he philosophies.
i watched not many movies, but i did like these films :

- jules et jim
- à bout de souffle
- pierrot le fou
- le mépris

about his last film, i can't remember the title, abel ferrera said that it was a intellectual masturbation:D
i think his last films were not for a large audience (if any were);)

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
oops! jules et jim is a truffaut one!
i'm really tired tonight:)

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
My favourites are Weekend,Alphaville,A bout De Souffle,A Band Apart and what a daring pick that is: o

And on that great list,we should add Melville,Renoir and Chabrol RIO

·
Registered
859 Posts
Isn't À bout de souffle also Truffaut? I At least have something to do in the movie as they talked about it in a short documentary about him that I saw. Anyway out of his latest movies I like Nouvelle vague most. His best movies are Bande a part, pierrot le fou, La Chinoise and A bout de souffle (if he really directed it).

Other great movies:

Masculin, féminin
Une femme est une femme
Le Petit soldat (my 1st experience of Godard)
Le Mépris
Week End

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
tricolornr1 said:
Isn't À bout de souffle also Truffaut?
No its only Godard. Easily the most important work in nouvelle vague though.

I definitely rank Jean-Paul Belmondo as one of the great actors. Has anyone read his book "Thirty Years and Twenty-Five films"?

And Heather, you also forgot (or omitted ;) ) Louis Malle and Alain Resnais, and Carne!.. and ofcourse there's a whole ton of contemporary post new wave directors. Jeunet included.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um, I am not the Kenneth Halliwell encyclopedia. ;) I only mentioned the French directors I like most, although I did forget completely about Jean Renoir and whomever the guy was that made The Sorrow And The Pity. I never liked Breathless all that much, but I did feel bad for poor Jean Seberg. Exactly why the FBI developed such a great dislike for her, I wil never understand. :depress: And Lilli, what Abel Ferrara said (although he shouldn't talk), I kind of agreed when I saw Elogie d'Amour or whatever his lastest film was...:D

RIO

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
yes rio, it was about this movie abel ferrara talked;)
i have seen some extraits and i must admit maybe he is right:D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
!bob said:
Did you like The Dreamers?
Partly.
It's is one of the most cine-literate films i've seen, with as i mentioned loads of homages and references in it to movies I love (A Bout de Souffle, Jules et Jim, Bande A Parte etc)... but the actual 'core' of the film itself was a bit of a disappointment - it was pretty much style over substance but not quite stylish enough to make this OK! Plus the three central characters are incredibly annoying!

I would have liked more intersection with the politics and what was happening on the streets rather than the sex, sex, sex all the time. Not that i'm saying this is necessarily a bad thing :D

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
!bob said:
No its only Godard. Easily the most important work in nouvelle vague though.
Wrong. Truffaut wrote the script I believe. And that's why it's my fav. Godard, still (although I admit that I haven't seen enough of them.:eek:) Well, Truffaut's films give me warm feeling, but I like Godard's cool humor too.

another fav. from him: vivre sa vie
I wanna watch bande a part though cos it sounds like the kind I like.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yeah well to me Godard stands apart largely beacause of the camera work. the wobbly effect, jump-cuts, etc, that you don't see in Truffaut's films. then again, 400 Coupes was emotionally affecting unlike most Godard films and nothing compares to the prolific nature of even earlier films like Une femme est une femme

Teddy that interesting, I guess I'll see it then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts