Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favourite topic to debate, and a hot one right now:

Who is the Best goal Keeper in the world?

Bar none, on all aspects of the game, the absolute best.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
This topic is arguably the toughest to call because GK stats don't tell the story ... but obviously the usual suspects ...

Oliver Kahn
Franny Toldo
Luca Buffon
Iker Casillas
Shay Given

And I know I'll get accused of all sorts of bias here but when he is fit Mark Bosnich is still up there - if only he had turned down the dark side and gone to Roma ...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Oliver Kahn
Francesco Toldo
Iker Casillas
Rustu
Gianluigi Buffon

not sure whether Bosnich would have survived Roma, though.

There are some good keepers around too, though not the best:

Alex Manninger
Angelo Peruzzi
Marcos
Shay Given
Magnus Hedman
Shorunmu (Nigeria)

that's all I can think of now :)

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Well as a goalkeeper myself I have high levels of respect for all goalkeepers who have made it pro. It is arguably the hardest job on the pitch because if a goal is conceded then 95% of the time the blame is on you, but you also rarely get plaudits for saving your side after crap defending. So to be recognized as one of the best goalkeepers in the world is, in my opinion, to be recognized as one of the best players in the world. Of course my opinion is biased, but I am sure that at least two of Toldo, Buffon & Kahn would fit into the top 10 football players in the world.

Now as to which of these 3 is better, well I don't regard Toldo as good as either Kahn or Buffon so that is that cut down to 2 goalkeepers, making it easier. Now between Kahn & Buffon, I am sure that Buffon has more ability, & is still getting better however since Kahn came off an incredible World Cup so I am going to say that on form Oliver Kahn is the best goalkeeper in the world & one of the best 5 footballers in the world.

Of course there are plenty of other good keepers like Frey, Rustu, Barthez, Casillas & Marcos, to name just a few.

I just though edit a line in here celebrating the fact this was my 100th post, & it was on goalkeepers. Pure coincedence, but excellent none-the-less.

G

·
i was impress by a young goalie from the -21 squad of tchec republic and i think his name is tchek (to be confirmed)
this goalie is the real hero of the european final france - tchec republic, they won at the penalties kicks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kluivert said:
I think Edwin van der Sar belongs in the top10 too :)

I'm going to agree with you on that one. Edwin is still one of the best, but his recent years have seen him slip from the top.

As for Oliver Kahn, we all know he is a fantastic keeper, but has anyone ever seen him play without a fantastic defense in front of him? I think not. He has leadership qualities, excellent reactions, and overall superb ability, but he has his weaknesses too. His distribution skills are relatively poor, and his temper has been a problem in the past.

Gigi Buffon is the best pure shot stopper in the world right now. However, he lacks communication ability with his defense. I watch every Juve game, and week after week, it is the same. He has gooten better with his feet this year, but this is stilla weakness, and his distribution is mediocre at best.

Francesco Toldo is probably the best penalty saving keeper since Yashin, but his overall ability has never impressed me. I think people are still on about him from Euro 2000, where he was exceptional, but overshadowed by Barthez, who sucks, so that's that.

I've seen Iker Cassillas mentioned, and while he is the youngest of the truly world class, he is consistent only in his inconsistency. He didn't even play the last half of the year for Real, instead backing up Ceasar, who we all know is not the worlds best keeper.

Shay Given is a very well rounded player, and a great keeper over all. He isn't weak in any area, but he also doesn't excell in anything particular. This is in and of itself a weakness. He does not set him self apart.

I was once a Mark Bosnich fan myself, being from Australia, but He hasn't exactly been great since being replaced by Barthez. And again, anyone outshined by Barthez can't be worlds best.

Magnus Hedman, good, not great. Marcos, great for Brazil in Wc, not so good from club team.

And Here it is, the best goalkeeper in the world:

David Seaman

Seaman may have let up the goal that sent England out of the WC, but someone had to, they weren't going to win. Throughout the whole tournament up till that point he was amazing. He constantly maintains his calm, collected mentality, and he always appears silky smooth and in complete controll. He is a leader, a great shot stopper, good on crosses, excellent in one on one situation, a good dristibuter, and an excellent communicator, marshalling his defence like none other (except maybe VDS). He is hte most experienced goalkeeper in the top flights, and despite his age he showed that he is the best in the world. Anyone who saw the England vs. Sweden game has to agree.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Good post Rick.

I agree on Kahn. Playing in a defensive team always helps and he has made 2 big mistakes this year. One in the WC final and 1 against Real Madrid in the 1st leg of the CL quarters. Both very costly. He also punches when at times it looks as if he can comfortably catch it and which imo looks amateurish.

I was quite suprised to see Casillas being mentioned in previous posts. Needs to improve but he is one for the future imo.

Agree on Seaman, very underrated but he is a solid keeper who never makes any silly mistakes.

Keeper that has impressed me the most apart from his WC performances has been Dudek, thought he had a great first season.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Seaman doesn't make mistakes?

Nayim, Cup Winners Cup final, against Zaragoza?

Ronaldinho, WC Quarter final, against Brazil?

David Seaman is the single most over-rated goalkeeper of my time watching football. He has always made a meal of the simplest saves, diving around like an eejit to make himself look better. He always makes his saves seem better than they are, but in this messing about he has been known to cause goals to go in too.

Oh, & I do realise that David was injured at the time of Ronaldinho's goal, but still, that was a mistake.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Petr Cech

I've seen him a good few times now and I'm convinced he will be the best keeper in the world within 5 years. It's guarenteed IMO.

His performances in last seasons CL were second to none and he's already got a full cap I think ;)

At the moment it's between Kahn and Buffon IMO although on recent form Kahn tops it :)

Given is good but he's not a top tier GK, second tier for him :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one_love_PARMA! said:
Seaman doesn't make mistakes?

Nayim, Cup Winners Cup final, against Zaragoza?

Ronaldinho, WC Quarter final, against Brazil?

David Seaman is the single most over-rated goalkeeper of my time watching football. He has always made a meal of the simplest saves, diving around like an eejit to make himself look better. He always makes his saves seem better than they are, but in this messing about he has been known to cause goals to go in too.

Oh, & I do realise that David was injured at the time of Ronaldinho's goal, but still, that was a mistake.
Mistakes are mistakes mate, all keepers make them. Buffon, Toldo, Kahn, they've all made a lot of them. Seaman however rarely makes mistakes. A couple that he has made were in big matches, but usually he plays very well in big matches. Even had he made the save against Ronaldinho, would England have won the game? I think not. A goal would be scored by Brazil whether or not Ronaldinho managed to hit that fluke.

I don't understand where you get that stuff about Seaman embellishing saves. I've been an Arsenal fan my whole life, and I've watched Seaman play hundreds of games. If there is one that he is not, its a showboat. He always carries himself in a calm collected manner, and this is clear on the pitch.

David Seaman may be known for a lot of things (like his pony tail and mustache), but one thing he is not know for is giving up easy goals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hoseman said:
Good post Rick.
thanx mate.

Hoseman said:
Keeper that has impressed me the most apart from his WC performances has been Dudek, thought he had a great first season.
Dudek was easily the hottest keeper during the season, but I think that his performances for the Polish national tema are more of what he is, an average keeper.

When he played for Rotterdam, I saw him a lot, and he was good, but not great. I even saw a few games of him when he played for that club in Poland (I can't remember the name), and he was good there, but not great.

Overall, Dudek is a capable keeper, but this year is a fluke I think. Most keepers hit a great seam of form in their careers, Dudek just did it at exactly the right time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
good to see my pal ian on this forum :) wouldnt miss a chance to post in his threads either- very interesting ones he starts-

IMO the best keeper: Oliver Kahn. Not only has he proven it time and time again- he's never really had a 'bad season'- something Seaman im sure has suffered from. Seaman doesnt have that great of a reputation- but thats more due to his age, and his faux-pas 80s look with that moustache and pony-tail. Dudek has been solid all-round, but then again he's never been as exceptional as Kahn. Buffon- well I still think he has to live up to his reputation. Been very solid, but doesnt show anything that proves him the best keeper in the world. Toldo- oh great Toldo- Moved to inter- and he's done great there too. he may not be exceptional all-round, but he's the best shot-stopper I've seen bar Kahn- something not every keeper possesses. This talent in itself makes his a very good keeper

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Brad Friedel anyone?

I get the feeling that a lot of the keepers are mentioned on reputation alone, Van Der Saar for example.

I think Seaman is reasonable GK, but certainly not the best in the world. He doesn't actually seem to make that many mistakes (when you take into account the length of his career) but when he does they usual pretty spectacular and in big games e.g. against Brazil, Zaragoza, Germany (00) and Holland (?) before WC 94.

In my opinion the best is Oliver Kahn. He seems to have a certain influence or presence which many other keepers lack. He is a great shot-stopper, great on crosses and great on 1-on-1s. The complete keeper.

For an outside bet I would go for the highly under-rated Mickeal Leandreau.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Goalies

Kahn, Rustu, Buffon and Marcos are the best keepers today. If I had to choose the absolute best Kahn would be the man, but Rustu IMHO was just as impressive in the World Cup - if you go see FIFA's official statistics, Rustu actually performed more saves than Kahn.

Seaman is overrated, yes, but so is Barthez - and Seaman is more reliable than Barthez.

Van Der Saar never fulfilled his potential, when the time to shine came up he never delivered. I think he lost his shots at greatness; he may yet get another chance (he already had several) but he never really performed in the level his fans expect of him.

And for the future? Casillas and Flamengo's Julio Cesar, both awesome. Julio Cesar has the potential to be the finest Brazilian goalkeeper ever. :cool: ;)

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Rustu was atleast the best keeper in the world cup, he's been a great keeper for years just that no top has been interestd in him and he remained with Fenerbache in turkey.

Kahn is ofcourse a great keeper as well, just like Toldo(euro 2000) and Buffon even if he sucked this wc. There are many great keepers, even Marcos was decent and Sylva from Senegal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts