Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I witnessed Leverkusen lose the Bundesliga on the last day to Bayern in the 99/00 season on goal difference, I simply hate this system from the bottom of my heart:mad: After all, football's not only about scoring the most and conceding the least....it's also about outplaying the opposition.
Serie A is better in this regard.......playoffs:) But I think most other leagues follow the goal difference system:frustrat:

Whats your say on this?;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the event that 2 teams are finished at the top with points there should be a 2 leg aggregate play off to decide the league champion.

In the unlikely event that there would be 3 or more than they should play a 3 (or more) game group round in neutral venues (luck of the draw would determine who plays who and when) with the team finishing top with the best record (here I would include Goal Differences) winning the league.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
at the end of the season the two teams have played against each other twice 1 at home and the other away, so i don't know why to play a play off if they have been the oportunity of prooof who team is the best, another thing if they finish the season with the same points and their match between then has been finished with a draw, then i play off can not be bad

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I am all for a head-to-head tie breaker, or at least a playoff.

I agree with Utopia that the goal difference is a very shallow way to distinguish two clubs at that stage, i can't understand why its still done in Germany! :fero:

·
Registered
897 Posts
i think goal difference is the best way

while a playoff is exciting it could favour the in form team, or the team without injuries to key players too much rather than being representative of the whole seasons play

like the penalty shoot out (for example), goal differences are not ideal and have their faults but in my opinion its still the best way

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
annax said:
i think goal difference is the best way

while a playoff is exciting it could favour the in form team, or the team without injuries to key players too much rather than being representative of the whole seasons play

like the penalty shoot out (for example), goal differences are not ideal and have their faults but in my opinion its still the best way
annax,

You actually make a very valid point.

The league is a year long challange, and a playoff might punish an off form team when it shouldn't, since that will mean the champion was the better team at a current point of the season, not over the season.

Good argument, but still, goal difference is meaningless. I would rather see it go to team with most wins, it will encourage teams maybe to go out for wins and not play safe and get draws.

maybe.

·
Banned
1,415 Posts
Both Annax and Lestat make very valid points, I too am against goaldifference being used as a decisive factor, and I agree with annax that the in form team will take the cake at the end of the season based on 2 matches, which is a flaw in this system, so I tend to agree with lestat on looking at most wins during the season, this way teams will indeed be eager to get the win, even if it only helps a tiny bit it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
What if the teams had same amount of wins? What is the tie-breaker? I like the Italian system of playoffs. There was a playoff for the title and I believe it was held at a neutral site. If three or more clubs are tied for first, head-to-head matches are used to eliminate teams until only two are left. This has happened where three tied at the relegation zone. Three teams were tied for 14th place and two must go down. In the head-to-head sweep, the team that was third in points was relegated and the other two played to stay up. There was also a three-way tie for 13th place and one must go down. In the head sweep, the team that was first in points stayed up and the other two played to stay up. What was funny about both cases was that none of teams meet the other in the last two months! Meaning that none of the teams had to face one another knowing that there was a huge match because playoff possibilities!

It seems everyone hates goal difference, but look at CL 2nd group D:

Deportivo 3-1-1 6 GF 3 GA (+3) 10 Pts
Arsenal 2-1-2 8 7 (+1) 7
Leverkusen 2-1-2 8 10 (-2) 7
Juventus 1-1-3 6 8 (-2) 4

A win by Arsenal (at Juventus) and Leverkusen (at Deportivo) would have resulted in a three-way tie for 1st. Or a win by Deportivo and Juventus would give us three-way tie for 2nd. By using the head-to-head sweep, Deportivo and Leverkusen qualifies in both cases. In fact, because goal difference was not the tie-breaker, Deportivo had the opportunity to rest some players. If GD was used, Deportivo could not have afford to rest anyone! GD would have made for two exciting matches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts