Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Editorial: Cassano Gate
2/8/2005 4:30:00 PM
When Antonio Cassano was born on July 12 1982, the Gods were smiling. That was the year when Italy won their third World Cup, tying Brazil for most World Cups victories at three a piece. However, Signor Cassano was not born with a silver spoon. Instead he grew up in the slums of Bari. But as time progressed, it was evident to soccer scouts that the boy had a gift and had the potential to shine.
Cassano, whether one likes him or not, is an immensely talented player. Antonio has superb agility, stamina, dribbling and passing skills. Former players like Marco Tardelli, stated that a player of his caliber comes every 20 years and the current England coach Erickson, stated that he is the next Maradona. While it could be an exaggeration to label or compare him to this great player, many do believe that he is Italy’s best talent and is seen to many as Baggio’s worthy heir. He has showed his talents for Italy’s under 21 side, for Bari, Roma and for the National squad as recently as Euro 2004 in which he scored 2 goals. Antonio is young and has the potential to win many prizes and to gain the ultimate prize a World Cup which has eluded many great players in their careers.

Cassano currently plays for Roma and this year due to a chaotic environment, from coaching to management. The team has not performed as well and this has affected his play as he is not that has lit Serie A ablaze this year. However, this has not turned away the many teams that would love that he wears their jersey. There are many teams that want him, but the team that comes to my mind is Real Madrid. Given Real’s past, they would do just about anything to attain the player they want. But the question to be asked is: would Cassano succeed at Madrid?

There is no doubt that Antonio is a great player and has a knack to frustrate defenses and score goals, but his Achilles tendon is his temper. He has constantly clashed with coaches and rumors say that the reason that Voeller left Roma was that he constantly clashed with Cassano. It seems that only Capello could understand and control him. Secondly, Real have hit a stumbling block and the policy to attain stars and not players has come to haunt them. This team is starting to remind me of Inter Milan that has encountered great inconsistency and egos that flow like the river Po.

So the million dollar question is that would Cassano adapt at Real and can he show his worth in a lineup of stars. It is highly probable that he could but remember the last young hot prospect at Real that was shown the door? That was Nicholas Anelka. Anelka is still a good player but he too had an ego. He played for a dream team but constantly clashed with the coach and others eventually being shown the door. He has since become the gypsy of the soccer world playing for a PSG, Liverpool, Manchester City and just now Fenerbahce.

Cassano is no doubt a talented player. However his own self is his worst enemy. Until the boy shows that he is capable of being what Macchiavelli would say a centaur: a being that is half man half beast. The beast side showing raw emotion passion, power and devotion to his craft and the man side depicting the cunningness, wit, skill and determination that a great player possesses. I believe that Madrid would be the wrong choice and the media would write more about his antics rather than his skill. As his teammate Tomassi said “he must learn a team is made up of 11 players.” If Cassano wants the spoils of victory he must rise to the occasion as all great players have done. The choice is his.

Bruno Cardile

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Why are Real Madrid so popular anyway? Is it because they like to use 5 forwards per match, no true defenders except Samuel and generally no valid tactics?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Thotobald said:
Why are Real Madrid so popular anyway? Is it because they like to use 5 forwards per match, no true defenders except Samuel and generally no valid tactics?

I agree with u, Real Madrid is a crapy team, who made them the dream of every player for god's sake!!

I pray that neither Totti nor Antonio will join that Sh!tty club!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Ciao Madridista, as in bye bye. :kiss: It's not about titles. If it was, everyone would support your team. It's the way you get your titles when you eventually do.

EDIT:
+ a lot of other things of course. ;)

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Winning Cups? Huh? If I wanted to win cups I'd support the world's richest clubs, too. How boring. How predictable. How utter devoid of passion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts