Votes: 2 7.1%
  • David "I'm Michael Jackson, Domenech is Tito" Trezeguet

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our best assist player with 9 assists. He has really stepped up for us. Btw, 9 assist is as much assist as the man who is Inter's whole attack, Zlatan. Only Pizzaro with 10 has more in the league.
He's easily become one of my favourite players of the current crop, and if he continues like this, in all likelihood he'll be up there with Conte for me. I want a new jersey and i'm torn between him and Sissoko atm, what would be your choice?

Espectro, Flamini is a good player, but 4m a year for him? No thanks, we'll never balance the budget if we give players like him that kind of salary.

·
Administrator
53,540 Posts
You know which my choice would me ;) But Zanetti is a suprisingly classy player. Quite an unsung hero for us.

Goes unnoticed how extremely good his passing has been. But its a given, he is suprising everyone (he had good range allways since Roma days, but not shown real vision like this), even Ranieri said in recent interview that Zanetti keeps suprising him the most of our players.

Btw, how fierce isnt our internal competition of best player of the season? My heart says Del Piero of course, and would be well deserving considering some of the magic since December, but Camo is realistically the strongest candidate. Extremely important for us, he would be a sureshot player of the season if he wasn't injured so much (and after we got Momo, Camo has been tons better due to not worrying about defensive work, Momo covers him and everyone else). Buffon is Buffon, and if he wasn't a goalkeeper, he would probably win accolades like this every season (and despite it, is big candidate). Trez and already mentioned Zanetti our good candidates too. Also lesser candidates in Chiellini and Momo (only 12 games for us, but damn what an impact).

·
Registered
17,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:)

You read my mind, i was contemplating who had been our best player this season, and quite surprisingly the competition is fierce. Not only that, but we've got several candidates who could compete for best player of the season in the whole league. I think a best of Serie A line-up would be pretty black and white in truth too.

I agree, Camo has probably been the best game for game, but i have a hard time not giving it to DP as well, he's just been phenomenal too and at his age, it's amazing how he finds the drive and motivation to do it.

I don't know what we'll do when he hangs up his boots, if he had any other number i would've probably wanted them to retire his jersey...

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Below is a list of five nominees in no particular order. I then cast my vote at the bottom, before leaving it you, the fans, to have your say.

1) Gianluigi Buffon: There is a common myth that the best goalkeepers are those who pull off the best saves. Wrong. The best are those whose positioning, communication, defensive organisation, and understanding of the play often means they are not forced into too many saves, and those that they do make look easy. This is what separates Buffon from Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas. The Juve number one has had another inspired season, and he was particularly impressive in the first half of the campaign. Who will forget that seemingly gravity-defying stop from Lazio’s Tommaso Rocchi before Christmas?

2) Giorgio Chiellini: It seems almost unthinkable that Juventus sporting director Alessio Secco actually attempted to sell Chiellini to Manchester City at the beginning of the season. The 23-year-old has been a colossus at the heart of the Bianconeri defence, forging an impressive partnership with Nicola Legrottaglie, who some would argue, also deserves to be nominated. Chiellini has summed up the never-say-die attitude that represents the Old Lady, always prepared to shed blood for the cause. He won the hearts-and-minds of all Juventini after he dished out some really rough treatment to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and indeed owned the Swede in both league games against Inter.

3) Mauro Camoranesi: The Argentine-born winger may have only played 20 Serie A matches this season due to injury, but he has been simply world class in almost every one of these. While many rightfully point to the impact that Momo Sissoko has made in Juve’s wonderful form in the last few months, it is Camoranesi’s return to full fitness that has been the biggest factor. In his last five games alone, the 31-year-old has provided nine assists, including all three in the 3-2 win over Milan. Camoranesi offers that much-needed creativity in midfield, and had he been fit all season, who knows Juve may have won the Scudetto. He has also scored five goals, at a ratio of one in four, and many of these have been decisive, including strikes against Inter home and away, as well as the equaliser in the comeback win at Udinese.

4) Alessandro Del Piero: ‘The Golden Boy’ is in his best physical shape for years, and as a result he has produced possibly his best season since 1997/98. The 33-year-old struggled a little at the beginning of the campaign, but since November time he has been consistently rolling back the years. He is the second top-scorer in Serie A, with 18 goals, and over the past couple of months he has performed better than any forward in the peninsula. Italy national team boss Roberto Donadoni today revealed that he will probably take Del Piero to Euro 2008, and it will be well deserved.

5) David Trezeguet: While Del Piero will be in Austria and Switzerland, Serie A's joint top-scorer Trezeguet will be enjoying his family holiday. Quite how Raymond Domenech can be so childish as to ignore the prolific marksman is unbelievable. The 30-year-old’s telepathic partnership with ADP has netted him 19 goals in 33 games, with just one of these being a penalty. It is clear that Henry and Trezeguet cannot play in the same team together, but if I was forced to choose one out of the two, I would most certainly go for the latter. France’s loss will be Italy, as well as Juve’s gain.

My Vote: This is a really tricky one, and in truth you could make a good case for any of these five players winning Player of the Season. Had Camoranesi played just a few games more, I would have opted for him, while the fact that Juve have recently ruined their once superb defensive record allows me to cross off Buffon and Chiellini. In a straight fight between Del Piero and Trezeguet, I am going to go for the Golden Boy. He has proved everyone wrong this season, and I just hope that given the accusations that he never performs for Italy, he will do the same at Euro 2008.

Carlo Garganese

============

Maybe moderators can change this into a Poll.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Thanks Moderator ;)

My votes goes to Alex. He had an immense season and proved everyone wrong. Closely behind him is Chiellini, just for owning Zlatan. That scary stare alone is priceless!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Camoranesi never stopped assisting whenever on the pitch, he too deserves special credit.

But for sure Buffon and ADP are your MVPs this season.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Think of all those games where we looked like we were still a Serie B side and the DP pulls off a piece of magic, and we get the points... nuff said. Runners up, thr real Cristiano and Camo.

I don't get the "Kal-El" in Buffon's name.

·
Administrator
53,540 Posts
Seriously you dont? ;)

How about now :shades:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Okay, I had to go and look up Kal-El. I didn't know that was Superman's real name.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Just so you know who the lunatic was, I voted Cristiano Zanetti. Although he had great patches during the year, games at a time.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Nothing wrong with voting for Cristiano. He is very important to our play and we suffer when he's not there, same thing with Camo.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Too inconsistent however, he was awesome at times, and then he was bad at times. Although I think more a result of his fitness/injuries than playing badly. But that's my opinion.

I wouldn't vote ADP as great as he was b/c of how Jekyll and Hyde his season was (pre-post December)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
DP he has been great for months now. Obviously there were games in between where he wasn't his best, but what attacker can be awesome every game, but generally he has inspired our team. I think within revent months he has been one of the most consistent attackers, not only in Serie A but in Europe. I can't think of many attackers who were playing as great as he was and as consistently.

·
MVP
9,082 Posts
For me it's between Camoranesi and Del Piero.

I voted Camoranesi.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i can't pick one player because it'd be unfair for the rest. they all work off eachother and they all are successful because of that. del piero would never have the season he's had if he wasn't supported by the mid. the mid wouldn't be as effective penetrating if del piero and trezeguet weren't creating space for them. the mid wouldn't hold the oppositions attack if the D wasn't so well positioned and as pressuring. ditto with the D while buffon's number of miraculous saves wouldn't be as low as it is if the D gave the attackers open looks.

that said, juve's player of the year is la maglia bianconera as it's been historically for the club.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Zanetti for me. Camoranesi has been the more inspiring player and has rescued a midfield otherwise devoid of creativity from appearing so all the time, but he has missed quite a lot of matches and not shown the consistency Zanetti has.

DP would have been my pick if he hadn't played like faeces in the opening months of the season. His season has been like night and day.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I would have to add that - in a close contest - I think Legrottaglie has objectively had a better season than Chiellini. Chiellini is the one we bank on for the future and obviously with the higher ceiling, but Legrottaglie is the feel good story of Juve this season, and gave perhaps the most surprising positive performance in serieA this year.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Although Alex has been great for us, i think camo has proven that he is the key for us.

i voted camo..without we look average.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.