Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glasgow Rangers Announce New York Dates
News Archive

Rangers are heading Stateside (Allsport)
06/19/2002. Glasgow Rangers have announced a four-game trip to America this summer where they will play local and international opponents.

The pre-season tour will be based wholly in New York and will consist of matches against a college All-Stars team, Philadelphia, River Plate of Argentina and Brazilian outfit Santos.

The Scots will arrive in the USA on July 9th and commercial director Martin Bain said, "New York is an ideal venue for both Alex McLeish and the team and is part of the club's long-term global brand strategy. Not only does it offer the squad excellent training facilities and a good mix of opposition, it is also a thank you to the large network of fans we have in North America."

soccerage :cool:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Is there any Rangers supporters in here or does anyone know a Rangers supporter?

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Some of us were supporters of Rangers before Claudio Reyna transferred to Premier League last year.

Incidentally, without Reyna last year, Rangers let Celtics run away with the title! :(

Coincidence? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Do you not think that Claudio Reyna made a mistake moving to Sunderland? I know it is the EPL and unfortunately due to population the SPL is not as strong but he was involved in a relegation fight while we were playing against Feyenoord in the Uefa Cup. I just wish we could have had a wee bit of luck and one that game.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Whether it's a mistake or not it's hard to say, as playing in EPL has always been a dream for Reyna.

I have to believe that it had more to do with one individual's decision as Avocaat had his plan in mind to sign some new talents. Selling Reyna to Sunderland was definitely a profitable deal to him.

Now that Rangers and Celtics are bailing out of SPL, they may find themselves having to spend a lot more money in order to stay competitive!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
IT'S official - Rangers are heading to New York from July 9-22 for a high-profile pre-season tour and Alex McLeish's side will meet two of the great names in South American footnball during a four-game tour and training trip.

The Light Blues will take on Argentinian champions River Plate on Saturday, July 13 and then face legendary Brazilians Santos on Saturday, July 20 with both glamour games going ahead at Giants Stadium.

Alex McLeish's squad will warm up with a game against an American College All-stars at Rutgers University on Thursday, July 11 (kick off 2pm) and will also play a Major League Soccer side on Wednesday, July 17 in Philadelphia (kick off 8pm, opponents and venue to be confirmed).

The glamour clashes with River Plate and Santos will kick off at 1.30pm Eastern Time (6.30pm UK) and will immediately precede MLS fixtures involving New York/New Jersey MetroStars.

They play Chicago Fire at 4pm on July 13 and New England Revolution on July 20 at the same time. Tickets for these games are available to the public through all Ticketmaster outlets, at the Continental Airlines Arena Box Office, www.metrostars.com and by calling 1-888-4-METROTIX.

The team will also train at the facilities at The Pingry School, New Jersey, that was utilised by the Italian National squad ahead of the 1994 World Cup and it’s certainly not going to be a holiday for the Double Winners and Ibrox boss Alex McLeish is adamant the players are going there to prepare for the rigours of the domestic campaign.

Big Eck said: "Rangers had agreed the trip before I came, but the most important thing for me at pre-season is honing the players’ mental and physical fitness for the start of the season.

"We’ll be going there to prepare, we won’t be going there for a jolly. There will be the odd day to relax and see the sights but it’s certainly not a holiday. It will be very much a case of eyes down and get on with the work!"

Overseas fans will get the chance to see their heroes in the flesh at the Giants Stadium and McLeish says all Rangers supporters deserve to see the team in action.

Alex continued: "It’s a great opportunity for the North American Rangers Supporters to see us. I’m sure it will be a great privilege for these guys to see us. They spend hard-earned money following the team they love, but we’re going there to prepare and get fit."

McLeish added: "It depends what stage their players’ physical fitness is at but there will be no slacking from our boys in these games. I want a solid work out in New York. Hard graft is essential for the rigours of the season ahead."

The tour will be organized in co-operation with ChampionsWorld LLC, the international sports marketing company based in New Jersey. ChampionsWorld is the premier match promoter in North America whose clients include a number of leading European football clubs.

Rangers Commercial Director Martin Bain said: "New York is an ideal venue for both Alex and the team and is part of the Club’s long-term global brand strategy. Not only does it offer the squad excellent training facilities and a good mix of opposition, it is also a thank you to the large network of fans we have in North America."

Thousands of Rangers fans in the USA and Canada are expected to travel to watch the matches and it will also be a great chance for fans to catch a first glimpse of new signings Mikel Arteta and Kevin Muscat.

The Ibrox bound duo are tipped to make a big impact at the Club next season and McLeish added: "Arteta's young and he’s still developing but he’s had great experience in France with PSG.

"He'll have to get used to a different style of play and culture in Scotland, but he’s a Basque and they are traditionally strong willed people.

"It’s a mouthwatering prospect to think of him and Barry Ferguson in the same team, maybe they won’t play every game together as we have a flexible system, but it’s going to be a nice problem with so many midfielders at the club.

"Rangers already had their eye on Kevin before I came in but the chairman said it was my decision to conclude the deal or not.

"I went down to see him twice and spoke to Craig Moore and he endorsed him. I was worried about Kevin’s discipline for Old Firm games, but Oz says his discipline is good, he’s hard but fair and that’ll do me."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts