Xtratime Community banner

Give Italians CREDIT..

742 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  milappo 
#1 ·
To we going into this game made me very nervous..The french team is full of talent.
We gave them a run: We could make analysis till the end of time..Their probably should have been 2 instead of 4min of extra time..The elbow by desailly shoud have been a red card: DP missed on opportunity of a life time..
THe list can go on..
WE were not expected to reach the finals and we proved otherwise..
France was not very impressive at all and i would like to add that i do not beleive the sportsmanship was in their favor,,
as we all know italians made a stand in my eyes they will always be champions:::D::D::D:

#2 ·
More than credit should be given to the Italians. They came into the game completely different than the whole world expected them to be and dominated the 1st half, the first 20 minutes especially. From then on the game turned even, with the French taking over after they were 1 down (which was to be expected anyway).

For me, the game wasn't lost because of Cannavaro's mistake, nor because Pesotto didn't cover up for him. It was del Piero. He could have wrapped it up on two occasions and failed.

The game was also not lost in extra time. It was lost the minute Wiltord scored.

Credit should also be given to the Italians because they managed to make Zidane look average.

#3 ·
I think the game was well played by the italians/emotionally is was hard to see this happen but that is the game:

Glad to see that their are many supporters that do not see this as a complete loss..

#4 ·
hala, your words are medicine to my wounded soul :) Thanks (by that, are you French?)
I am very proud of our squad, they fought in a great way, and it was just a little bit of luck that was missing at the end, it really seems like it was some kind of fate. Lets look to the future, I guess with most of this great team still quite young (nesta, cannavaro, toldo, totti) we can have some great tournaments coming soon, together with the boys from the U21 champs (gattuso, pirlo, ambro and zambrotta who already played for Italy this EC)

FORZA ITALIA

and congrats to France

#8 ·
Be proud of the Azzuri...

Nearly every "expert" expected Italy to go out in the first round. All the experts were predicting France, Holland, Spain, etc. Nobody was giving the Azzuri any chance of even making to the final. Well, we made the final, eliminating both co-hosts along the way. We controlled the game until the last minute. A team everyone thought would fail miserably was 30 seconds away from winning Euro 2000. I'm as devastated as anyone the way that Italy lost, but that doesn't stop me from being proud of them. Of course, with the exception of Del Piero (How could he miss TWO golden chances?? Maybe it was Inzaghi dressed up like Del Piero?) I agree that the match was lost when Wiltord scored. That's was a HUGE psychological boost for France and a death stroke for Italy. Kind of like when Man Utd. scored against Bayern in the Champions League Final 2 seasons ago. I knew at that point Italy would lose, but I was praying for some kind of miracle. It wasn't to be... But World Cup 2002 will be a great tournament for Italy. There's so many excellent players coming up and much of the core of the team is still young. Should Zoff remain as coach? I don't know. If he truly knows how to build a team with the players available, imagine how awesome Gli Azzuri would be with everyone available? Remember, France was virtually 100% fit. We were missing Zambrotta and Conte from the Euro squad, and some of our best players couldn't make it, namely Vieri and Fuser. The future looks bright for Italy.

Oh, and here's a nice article that puts Italy-bashers in their place. Football's not ONLY about attractive offenses:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/gabriele_marcotti/news/2000/07/02/marcotti_insider/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.